the geographer

When the college girls come home...

the geographer

When the college girls come home it's not just their clothes that they bring back, it's all sorts of other stuff and you need to find a home for it all for the summer. I have five plants on the kitchen table, a few of which need to be repotted. Most of Big Sis's stuff is still in the living room and some of Little Sis's is there as well. The rest of Little Sis's will come home June 1 when she gets back from her May term class. They've got dishes/mugs, wall décor, desk stuff, school supplies, sheets and blankets that don't necessarily fit the beds at home (not that we need more sheets here, they can just be washed and packed up again for the fall), a microwave, a tv, all the snowboard gear. Whatever they took last fall multiplied - new clothes (free t-shirts from college, anyone?), more mugs, leftover food, all of it needs a home for the summer since all they really need available is their summer clothes and wash up stuff (but not the shower caddies).

I'm just warning all of you graduating kids and sending them off to college in the fall, be prepared for the return in May!

{for the record, some of the stuff will be put away in their rooms, some will go in the guest room, and some will go in the basement once I do some cleaning so there's space since they'll need separate piles to keep everything straight between the two of them}

• Like 4

Bendxap

We went through that when I was at my dad's for the summer. Happily a huge house made it less difficult. The hard part was Older's first year, no car, we wouldn't get to Dad's until a few weeks after he finished school. Friends and colleagues of ours stepped in to help and stored his stuff for him at their house (about an hour away from his college). Then when we got there Hubby and Older went to get his stuff in our truck. Of course, all this made us realize that we needed to get the poor guy a car.

Little Women

My dd went to school pretty far away.  Thankfully, some of the kids who had to rent on a one-year contract were not going to stay for the summer. These kids let people store stuff in their apartments for a certain amount of "rent," which helped everyone.     There was no way my dd could have brought all her stuff home at the end of each year on a plane, nor gotten it back there the following year, either!    We only drove out at the beginning of the first year and the end of the last one.

Edited by Little Women
  • Like 1

the geographer

Both my dds have cars, which helps get stuff home. Big Sis leaves her winter stuff at my sil who lives about 4 hours away from her college. She has had time during finals week to pack up some stuff and head over there to drop it off. The rest of it comes home with her. It's a good thing she packs well because she usually doesn't leave enough at my sil's and has more left than planned to bring home. Little Sis brought a bunch of stuff home the first trip, is back at school, and will bring everything else home when her class is done. In the fall we'll likely have to help her, she's got more stuff now than she did last year - a few more storage things, her bf's tv, a microwave. We've always gone with Big Sis. We drive to sil's (9 hours from home) to pick up her stuff there then head over to the college the next day. This year she's moving into an apartment so we have a bunch of extra stuff to take. Good thing dh's car has a hitch on it.

• Like 1

Moxie1

I know quite a few kids that simply rent storage units for those few months.

What is worse is when the come home after graduating.  Still have a dresser and a desk in my living room.

• Like 1

my cup of tea & me

While I was vacuuming yesterday I texted dd21 in her bedroom & asked if she wanted to vacuum in there while I had it running.   She texted back, "I can't see my floor".

We have about 30 people coming to the house tomorrow for ds's graduation.  Her door will just have to remain closed & locked!

• Haha 3

the geographer
4 hours ago, Moxie1 said:

What is worse is when the come home after graduating.  Still have a dresser and a desk in my living room.

I am a tad concerned about that come next May. Big Sis is taking our old school table for her kitchen table and I've got an extra dresser she can take. The main thing she'll come home with that I won't know where to put is a bed. Of course if she ends up staying in that area or moving to an apartment near here it's all good. If she moves back home, on the other hand, I need to find room. Actually what I'll probably do is toss the mattress that's on her bed now, put the new one on it and store the bed frame.

Momof4JackAttacks

My ds who came home from college last week has a huge pile of stuff in his bedroom that he needs to sort through. His room is very small, so he has very little floor space right now. He needs to sort through it all and throw some of it away and give some away. he likes to save stuff.

Mazurka
On 5/18/2018 at 1:09 PM, Moxie1 said:

Last year when my mom moved to Chapel Hill (home of the UNC flagship school), we were told how difficult it was to rent a storage unit around the end of spring semester.  We ended up getting her a storage unit in my small-neighboring town, and even one of those was already full.