Carol at home

What do I do?

Carol at home

My 11yo DS has Down syndome, and is working on Core E.  I've already stopped Science E because it is way over his head.  My hubby has been helping some with history and RAs, and brought up the fact that our son is unable to answer the discussion questions.  I told him I read everything so DS hears language, and hope it helps with his speech.  We use MUS, and DS likes it (he uses a calculator along with the blocks ... memorization/mastery isn't expected for kids with special needs.).   DS reads CVC wordd, and can't handle the E level readers.

I guess my question is this:  how much of the history stuff is really needed?  My husband feels it would be better to read the RAs and readers, and ditch the more difficult history books (Landmark books, for example).  I'm a check-off-all-the-boxes girl ... I am a loss as to what to do.  How do you have school with a kiddo who is challenged?  Thanks for your input ....

holding_fast

What is your sense of how much he is understanding? If you ask questions as you go along, does he seem to be getting anything out of the Landmark book? If not, or if not much and it's taking away from other things, it's totally fine to skip it! Maybe he'll be ready for it in a few years. Would he benefit from some more straightforward books like the 'If You Lived. . .' series?

Hunny

What age is he mentally?  I recommend returning Core E and Science E and getting a lower level for him, maybe A or B and getting it with either Readers K or Readers 1. 

Carol at home

Thank you both for your advice!

Mentally, I would say he's 5-6.  He has almost zero retention for history.  It takes weeks to memorize a simple Bible verse.  I'll look into the "If You Lived" books.  I have some audio CDs I could use for history ... forgot that I had them. We have used Sonlight since PreK, so  I'll go pull out the IGs and get the books from the library.

• Like 1

doxa

I'm in total agreement with your husband.  If he is not getting the spine stuff, it's just a waste of time and energy.  I would totally ditch it in favor of readers and read alouds.  If you can find some enjoyable books at an easier level to supplement what you're doing, go ahead, but only if it would be fun.  I don't think you need to.

Sometimes it's okay to not check all the boxes!

Shell Lee

Another voice in support of your dh's idea here. History is the fun stuff anyway, so keep it fun with your special needs boy. Just the readers and read-alouds. No Landmark.

• Like 2

arctic_bunny

Just to chime in and say that my NT boys have learned so much more history than their PS peers just by doing the read aloud books as bedtime stories over the years, no spines. 

• Like 1

Liz Ann

Just wanted to say hi and share that I am doing Core D with my 11 yo who has an IQ of 58. She doesn’t understand any of it (I’m doing it with my three other kiddos), but she loves to sit and listen in. That, right there, is enough of a reason to keep going. I mostly care that she is safe and happy. If she was my only one I would ditch the hard stuff and only do the things she enjoys. I’m actually going to back her up to A when I start homeschooling my youngest. 

• Like 1