Barbara

Core A Hands-On Activities & Resources PLEASE POST HERE

Barbara

Please add additional resources and supplemental material to this thread. :)

Barbara

originally posted by Happyhomeschooler on 4/13/08=============================================== :computer: It is not difficult to add relevant acitivities to any of SLight's Core. Somtimes it is as simple as having them draw a picture of their favorite part from a story (which for young children is a type of narration), and add it to their binder.

If you are reading My Father's Dragon for example, you can have the kids make a model of the island and as you read each chapter add an animal to your island until the island has most (if not all of the animals you've read about in the story). Pick-up a book about exotic animals with great pictures and read about the animals as you go along (a little science/zoology). They can listen to William Tell Overture during or after the reading of The Apple and the Arrow and dance out the story they've heard .......my kids did this activity, actually came up with it on their own :Big Grin: Then they performed it for the family:Big Grin: Your kids can dress up and re-enact some of their favorite stories or create their own (dramatization).

Go apple picking and bring along Johnny Appleseed to read. Talk about how trees make apples (bees/pollination/etc.) and you've covered science as well. Bring along a sketch pad and create a still life from your apples and have the kids sketch it.......you can talk about a what a still life is, they can sketch it, and voila ART class. Make simple lapbooks for your favorite stories. Create a giant 'Passport' book for the countries you visit along the way. A special binder for each child.....for each book you read that lands you in a different country, you can draw a stamp (like the ones you get put into your passport) onto a page with the name of the country. Add in information on that page such as the continent it is in, language spoken, food eaten, climate.

Your kids can find pictures from that country that they can cut out and paste onto another page or the same page with those captions. Then include the picture they drew from the story they read that took place in that country. These are just some ideas, but the forums are full of them. You can pick and choose what you want, when you want. Take your lead from your kids and do some activities that they show interest in. You may be surprised at what they come up with when left on their own too :Big Grin:

If you are doing some science experiments, or using art mediums such as play dough for sculpting, painting, cutting and gluing etc. you really don't need to add in a whole lot more if anything. Be selective and you will enjoy it much more. The books that have activities in them that get scheduled into Winterpromise are all available directly from Williamson and/or Amazon as well as the library. I know this because I have purchased them from both and borrowed from the library. The books themselves have many activities I would NOT do, so I like being able to pick and choose.

Sorry, this got long. :oops: All this to say, that I would keep it simple. Follow your bunny trails, and the activities will fall neatly into place. I hope this helps you :Big Grin: =================================================================

• Like 1

Meesh

My dd loves to do hands on. So we have added on to the curriculum by doing some fun hands-on activities:

Box Car Children - we made a diorama (here is a website to check out) http://gardenofpraise.com/bcdio30.htm

The Apple and the Arrow - we bought a play bow & arrow set at the dollar store and had fun outside trying to hit a plastic apple of each other's head and we made an Apple Lapbook.Here are some options: http://www.liveandle...s.com/apple.pdf (this is a complete apple lapbook - free download)http://www.albright-news.com/lapbook...e_lapbook.htmlhttp://www.dltk-kids.com/crafts/misc...ous/apple.html

My Father's Dragon - someone else on this forum did a lapbook for this one -- here is a link with their ideashttps://www.sonlight-forums.com/show...her%27s+Dragon

The Hundred Dresses - Had daughter draw her own pictures of dresses

Dolphin Adventure - I had dd put together a notebooking project on dolphins and other topics we read about in the book -- (i.e. scuba diving) DD made a cover with a coloring page she picked out online with dolphins. Here are a few links to some other things we used in the book. We just took construction paper for the front and back, then 3 whole punched and used yarn to tie all the pages together.http://www.enchanted...books/fishbook/http://www.first-school.ws/theme/ani...ld/dolphin.htmhttp://www.enchantedlearning.com/bio...overpage.shtmlhttp://www.abcteach.com/directory/ba.../animals/fish/http://sailhawaii.com/kids.htmlOr here is an ocean diorama idea:http://www.enchantedlearning.com/cra...ndiorama.shtml

The Story of Dr. Doolittle - DD (with my help) would come up with a sentence about each chapter then she drew her favorite scene from the chapter we read each day. We used notebooking pages for this.There are lots of activities to do in the Living Long Ago book.

m1namama

We sang the Johnny Appleseed Grace in English and in Spanish. We also made mush pot hats out of cardboard covered in aluminum foil. We live where we can pick apples for $.25 pound, so we went apple picking and made applesauce!

m1namama

We tell our three kids at bedtime whoever is the last to go potty and brush their teeth gets the Ping! Not really a hands on activity, but it sure gets the kids scooting!

• Like 3

m1namama

We are going to watch the movie after we are done reading the book and compare/contrast the two...

thesojourners

1) We have the Usborne First Encyclopedia of Science with Internet Links . . . basically, you go to the Usborne site and type in the page number of the topic in the book and they send you to other neat sites. You can tie this in with what you are covering with SL.

We looked up whales and found links to a site that let you listen to different whale sounds (very cool).

We looked up volcanoes and got to watch models of different volcanoes and how they erupt.

Also, this lovely book has more easy experiments.

2) YouTube . . . okay, i'd never used this before, but they had some great home videos of the eruption of Mt. St. Helens. The kids were amazed.

3) enchantedlearning.com for printouts and coloring pages

• Like 1

SewLittleTime

William and Catherine Booth:

We took a field trip to the Salvation Army.

Caroline1973

In celebration of one of our Kindergarten favorites, here is Twenty and Ten Leek and Potato Soup. Thanks to blogger Pinch My Salt where I found this recipe (I changed recipe title, though). It's easy and delicious. DS had seconds!

Twenty and Ten Leek and Potato Soup

3 tablespoons butter

3 leeks, thinly sliced*

1 medium or large onion, chopped

6 - 8 russet potatoes, thinly sliced**

3 1/2 cups chicken broth (or enough to barely cover potatoes)

1 cup heavy cream (I used only 1/4 cup and filled the rest with milk)

salt to taste

fresh ground black pepper to taste

1) Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat then add onions and leeks. Cook, stirring, until onions are limp and just slightly brown.

2) Add sliced potatoes to saucepan then pour in enough chicken broth to just barely cover the potatoes. Continue cooking over medium heat until potatoes are tender. Using a potato masher, mash and stir potatoes until desired consistency is reached. As you mash the potatoes and the soup thickens, turn down heat and stir frequently with a large spoon to prevent scorching on the bottom.

3) Add one cup of heavy cream and salt and black pepper to taste. Cook 15 minutes more over low heat, stirring frequently, then remove from heat and serve.

Notes: *Make sure to clean leeks thoroughly and slice only the white and light green part of the leeks. **You don't need to peel the potatoes as the peels add to the rustic texture of the soup. But make sure to scrub them thoroughly and remove any obvious blemishes before slicing. Although we always make it with chicken broth, this can easily become a vegetarian soup by simply using vegetable broth instead.

• Like 2

Passionflower
requires a world map you can tape discs to ;)

Is there anyone who might be able to save this into a pdf? I don't have word on my mac.

dsquared
I have a bunch of other hands-on stuff to post, but since we are starting butterflies in Science K this week I'd thought I'd share the project we are doing:

http://www.dltk-kids.com/crafts/insects/ppaper-chain-butterfly.asp

There are a ton of crafts on that site. :)

That is cool, Kellie- I will definitely keep that in mind, but can you release butterflies when it is so cold out? :confused:

KsJET
That is cool' date=' Kellie- I will definitely keep that in mind, but can you release butterflies when it is so cold out? :confused:[/quote']

No. :P I didn't rearrange science (should have!), so we're just reading about them now. We'll do the other stuff in the spring. I suppose I could rearrange it now...

dsquared
No. :P I didn't rearrange science (should have!)' date=' so we're just reading about them now. We'll do the other stuff in the spring. I suppose I could rearrange it now...[/quote']

Oh, okay! We are doing ours in the spring too- Marynn can't wait!!! She's been looking forward to it since last year!

Homeschoolin4God

Homeschoolshare.com is a great resource for lapbooks to download for free. Here is a direct link to their lapbook on My Father's Dragon (my sons favorite book)

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/my_fathers_dragon.php

Here is a direct link to their Master List of Lapbook (includes a lot of the books we are using in Core K)

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/index_lapbooks_master_list.php

muddslingerz71

My dd and I was working on the days of the week and I had an idea. My girl loves to draw... So I wrote the day of the week, Monday, on top of the construction paper. Her job is to cut and paste her smaller works of art on the paper with the correct day of the week!

:thumbsup:

wenmom

Don't forget to use Google Earth when you do mapping activities. The kids can "fly" over to each city/country to see what they look like today. It's pretty fun and inspiring at the same time.

• Like 1

Lightly Salted

This isn't a hands-on option, but if you allow some dvd watching, Story Keepers DVDs are cartoon movies set in Rome during the time of Nero persecuting the Christians. My kids are loving the connection between some of their favorite movies and what we're studying about ancient Rome! We have a set of 12; this is what mine are watching today:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Story-Keepers-Catacomb-Rescue/dp/B000791U5I/ref=pd_sim_d_17

becca-tundra mom

We are working on my Father's Dragon.

I thought making a windchime or mobile was a good hands on for it.

Windchime-

I am planning on enlarging the animal pictures on a copy machine- taping them on the window and letting ds trace (good for his writing skills)- cutting out the animals- laying them on top of bakable salt clay and cutting the shapes out- put a hole in them- bake- and paint. Do one animal each day. When the book is done tie all animals onto a stick with colorful strings.

I thought for the lion, we could make holes around the whole head and then tie strings in the holes and braid them after baking. (that was the orginal idea that grew into this!)

Fun! but a lot of work in some ways.

Mobile-

This is less work- Just enlarge animal pics- tape on window and trace- color and hang with colorful strings a on stick to make a mobile of all animals.

Note--- I don't have easy access to a copy machine, so I take a picture of things with my digital camera and print it on "draft" to save printer ink.

Baker's Clay (From the Arts and Crafts Busy Book by Trish Kuffner)

4 c flour, 1 c salt, 1 teaspoon alum or cream of tartar, 1 1/2 c water. Preheat oven to 250. Mix all ingredients add water if needed. Roll out 1/8 inch thick and cut out shapes. Bake 30 minutes on one side and 90 min on other.

I'll post a picture when we are done.

elilillie

Letter Worksheets

I was looking for more practice on letters for ds, he has just not grasped them very well, and found this site. He really likes the worksheets and really likes making the itty bitsy books for each letter.

becca-tundra mom

Hundred Dresses-

I see Chelle already mentioned this.

Paper dolls are a great way to act out the parts of hundred dresses-- each of my dc hold the doll while I am reading.

I attached a popcicle stick to each and labeled them. I found dolls that looked different from one another. (my mom saves them from the Mary Engelbright magazine) It helped talke about the differences among people and it kept them interested in the story.

If you had kids that loved to draw and cut they could make their own clothes for the the dolls as well, my ds wants nothing to do with that though! :)

paponfamily

At the end of Apple and the Arrow it talks about the people playing alphorns and my kids wanted to know what it was so we logged on to youtube.com and listened to some of the posts about alphorns....very interesting and of course my kids didn't want to stop. :)

Wonder Woman

I was thrilled to read in the Tribune that The Hundred Dresses is being performed as a musical downtown! Tickets are pricey (for us), but if you are interested, here is the info.:

When: Now through Nov. 8, 2009

Where: Royal George Theatre, 1641 N. Halsted St.

Running time: 1 hour, 20 min.

Age level : 6-13

Prices: $28-$38

Even if you do not plan to attend the performance, the website has a link to 20 pages of activities for educators! Bonus!!

becca-tundra mom

This is a fun and easy way to "build" a lighthouse.--- It actually glows!

Materials-

Larger Paper towel roll/ or poster roll (body of light house)

baby food jar (light)

Scrap cardboard (tern rock)

Small Rocks

Construction paper/thin cardboard/cardstock (lighthouse roof)

Paint- yellow, red, white, grey

Black c paper/black marker- (lighthouse windowc)

Strong glue

tape

scissors

small flashlight, penlight, battery operated tea light or booklight

Optional-

thin wire

bird stencil (you could just draw your own)

paper for sunset back ground.

Instructions- (child can do most of the work :)

Paint roll red and white.

Collect rocks and glue them to scrap cardboard while it's laying flat- I used wood glue.

Allow rocks to dry on for a couple hours.

Paint the inside of the baby food jar yellow.

Use red and yellow to paint a sunset for the behind of the lighthouse.

Glue

Child stencil birds or draw large M's for birds. Parent cut out.

tape wire to birds.

Tape birds on wire to the top of the jar.

paint cardstock- grey for roof

Glue it on the jar. (covering the wire for the birds)

Cut out 3 windows from black c. paper, glue on the lighthouse.

Assemble all. Notch cardboard together as shown. Glue jar into tube so it won't fall out. Put flashlight in the tube at night to see the light glow through the baby food jar.

I have a box I keep things to recycle into crafts for school. As soon as I saw the lighthouse picture on the book, I was excited to build it with my son. This was actually enjoyable and he did most everything from painting to collecting rocks to gluing. You could do the project little by little as you read the book.

I took pictures bc I can't follow written instructions as easily.

Here you go-

16588_thumb.jpg

16589_thumb.jpg

16590_thumb.jpg

16591_thumb.jpg

16592_thumb.jpg

Lightly Salted

If you want an easy thing to read about St. Patrick, I Heard Good News Today has a story on him - #7. We watched the Veggie Tales St. Patrick's Day clip (on Sumo of the Opera), looked up Ireland on the globe and did some St. Patrick's Day coloring pages, handwriting pages and math worksheets from

http://www.dltk-holidays.com/patrick/index.html

They also have some neat crafts and activities to go along with the Wizard of Oz!

http://www.dltk-kids.com/crafts/cartoons/oz.html

homeschoolAK

http://home.comcast.net/~ngiansante/index.html

This gives a Grade Level book list for K, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6+

I wouldn't call it a Christian focused list, so use your discression, but it's something. It gives you the Title, Author, and Grade Level.

Each level will take 10-30 pages of printed paper if you print it out.

All in Alphabetical Order too.

Blessings,

stalcupaam

I found The Boxcar Children Cookbook at the library today!! It was in the Juvenille section, the author is Diane Blain.

It has a few recipes from The Boxcar Children (#1) and then quite a few from many of the sequels. Recipes from The Boxcar Children (#1) are:

Boxcar Brown Bread

Baker's Bread in a Bag

Hen's Nest Scrambled Eggs

Beef Stew with Little Vegetables

Henry's Boxcar Carrots

Dr. Moore's Favorite Brown Cookies

Mary's Cherry Dumplings

SewLittleTime
I found The Boxcar Children Cookbook at the library today!! It was in the Juvenille section, the author is Diane Blain.

It has a few recipes from The Boxcar Children (#1) and then quite a few from many of the sequels. Recipes from The Boxcar Children (#1) are:

Boxcar Brown Bread

Baker's Bread in a Bag

Hen's Nest Scrambled Eggs

Beef Stew with Little Vegetables

Henry's Boxcar Carrots

Dr. Moore's Favorite Brown Cookies

Mary's Cherry Dumplings

I'll have to see if our library has this! Thanks so much for sharing!

GreenEggsandHam

We did a My Father's Dragon scavenger hunt at the zoo after we finished reading the book. It was $1 days at the zoo, and we just looked at the map and found as many animals as we could that were in the book. My daughter loved it, except that we never found a dragon! :)

GreenEggsandHam

We went to a local train museum for the boxcar children. Another field trip idea :)

katkins

I've just been wondering where to find good music sites - thanks!

LindaS

On the day we read about the kids sharing the soup, I made cream of mushroom soup (didn't know the above recipe was here at the time) for lunch, and gave each of them only a small amount to begin with. We ate it and talked about how we'd still be hungry if that was all we had to eat. It really brought home to them how scarce food was in Europe in WWII. Of course we had more after that. :Big Grin:

mypairadise

I found a sticker book by usborne that is dressing the people, starts with ancient Egypt, then ancient Rome, Greece, medieval, etc. It doesn't follow exactly with the core, but very close. My 6year old girls love it and get so excited the weeks we get to do the 'sticker book'!

• Like 1

JoyH

http://www.amazon.com/Never-Forget-Face-Memory-Game/dp/B000ELQUZO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327216989&sr=8-1

I Never Forget A Face matching game

This is a super nice matching game with international faces, and only $12 at Amazon. The pieces are hard, thick cardboard, and each face is from different countries around the world. Our girls have LOVED this game for the past two years, and it is still in excellent condition.

Estel

I've created a Pinterest Board to go with this Core, and I'll be adding more in the next few months as I prepare to do Core A in the fall. More to come after I can upgrade my IG. This will be my 3rd time doing this one! :party:

mamahodges

For the 2nd week and part of the 3rd, Core A focuses on Egypt. I found this link today that I just HAD to share: http://www.pbs.org/w.../punt-ship.html

It's from the PBS/NOVA website, and it shows, in greater detail, the very same punt boat shown on pages 76-77 in Living Long Ago (week 3 day 2 of the IG). On the left hand side of the webpage, it also has a link to 'Building Pharaoh's Ship', which is an hour long video of a team reconstructing a punt ship, and then sailing it on the Red Sea. It is really amazing!!

My kids were thrilled to see it really sailing and the video gives great insight into how much time, effort, and strength it would have taken men to build and sail that boat!

Edited by mamahodges

sububunny

The Usborne Book of Wild Places

pp 60-61 "The Death of the Rain Forests"

For those of you who may want an alternate view of the "death" of the rain forests--because there are more than one interpretation of the raw data available--you might be interested to read over the article at http://www.cfact.org/a/195/The-clearcutting-facts-about-the-rainforest.

We also worked in a math lesson around the fractions invovled in the article.

rbk mama

http://www.amazon.co...27216989&sr=8-1

I Never Forget A Face matching game

This is a super nice matching game with international faces, and only $12 at Amazon. The pieces are hard, thick cardboard, and each face is from different countries around the world. Our girls have LOVED this game for the past two years, and it is still in excellent condition.

I just came on here to add this! We are so impressed with the amazing quality of each piece -- so thick and smooth you just want to keep handling it. And the drawings of kids from different countrys are adorable. We lately discovered playing Guess Who with the Teddy Mix n Match cards and this set is PERFECT for that.

amyc78

To go along with our study of early people tomorrow, we are taking a 'Cavemans Picnic' for lunch... Hiking with blankets to the park to 'forage', hunt and make a tent over the seesaw. We'll pretend to build a fire and eat berries, nuts and seeds.

sonseeker

James Herriot�s - Treasury for Children

Make a farm page, paint a large page with WINTER sky�s (nature study � seasons below at # 8) & green grass and once dry, cut out paint barn here

http://www.abcteach.com/farm/barn.htm& animals here

http://www.abcteach.com/farm/checkofflist.htm Review family groups with s -

NZ Farm Animals by Gwenda Turner (pre-k)Big Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown (pre-k)

Eric Carle�s Animals Animals pgs 50-51, pg 21, pg 53, pg 84-85

First Thousand Word (Sticker Book) pgs 24-25 (Visit our Vet Read

I want to be.. A veterinarian Harcourt (lib 636.089)-Have to do something �Stevie�

http://www.wildlifewarriors.org.au/wildlife_hospital/recent_patients_archive.htmlWatch a few episodes of Crocodile hunter rescues-Also Auckland Zoo video with Richard checking out Bobby http://www.aucklandzoo.co.nz/education/richard_jakob_hoff.php & Jeffs farm again. read these ..

Big Farm Machines by Pauline Cartwright (lib 631.3) -compare with manual labour in Farmer boy

Sheep Station by Philip Holden � NZ way (lib 636.3) )For J J Sheep & large numbersThe first Sheep were landed in New Zealand by Captain Cook in 1773. The Sheep population grew to 70.3 million in 1982 but has now declined to 43.1 million due to declining profits compared to other types of farming.That represents 12 sheep for every person in New Zealand -Blossom

COW craft � older d/c (J)

http://www.thepapershaper.com/index.asp?action=hero&shape_id=5 for extra cow studies scroll down this link to worksheets & colouring

http://www.kiddyhouse.com/Farm/Cows/ (lots of other farm bits & pieces) -

Moses kitten-Oscar, Cat-About-Town-Christmas Day KittenCats ( bible notebook .. Moses tie in � create a collage type pic using �other� materials, with this

http://www.dltk-bible.com/crafts/mpapermoses.htm as a template) 1:

Mrs Katz and Tush by Patricia PolaccoEnjoying our kittens & tie-in here

http://curry.edschool.virginia.edu/go/wil/Kittens_Activity_Card.pdf http://www.enchantedlearning.com/themes/cat.shtml(Review-

Papa Piccolo by Carol Talley (Geog � Venice) FIAR-

Picasso & Minou by P.I Maltbie & (Geog � France; Artists)-

Picasso and the Girl with the PonytailThen do h

ttp://www.crayola.com/activitybook/print.cfm?id=672 (friendly cat stand) in Picasso �blues� 1a:

Penny & Pocket by Gwenda Turner (NZ tie-in) pre-k1b: ready-to-read for J

(Ringo Saves the Day � Pets to the rescue, a True story by Andrew Clements) -

Only One Woof-Market Square Dog 2:

McDuff and the Baby by Rosemary Wells2a:

Hairy Maclary from Donaldson�s Dairy by Lynley Dodd (NZ tie-in)2b:

Fergus the Farmyard Dog by Tony Maddox (s�s onomatopoeia favourite)2c:

Angus Lost by Marjorie Flack (B4fIAR) more onomatopoeiasIdeas from here

http://www.geocities.com/mamabrown_1122/anguslost.htm** collie tie in @ #7 2d:

Hairy Maclary�s Rumpus at The Vet by Lynley Dodd (pg 141) vet�s in town & NZ flavour (do dictionary work with J - wary; cantankerous; bumbled; scampered; mournful Older R/A ** collie tie in7:

Lassie Come-Home by Rosemary Wells illust by Susan Jeffers7a: read a few stories (enjoy the lovely picts, referring to other types of dogs) from here

Album of Dogs by Marguerite Wells 8: Our chapter book the whole way thru

Farmer Boy By L.I Wilder

Winter on The Farm (My First Little House Books) (S)

Photocopy cvr pict of Almanzo and make this barn CUT OUTS for S

http://www.homeschoolestore.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=14117

Do milk & popcorn in the cup test 8a:

All Pigs are Beautiful By **** King-Smith (lib 636.4)8b:

Watch me grow � Farm Animals by DK (lib 636) pict & discussion with S8c: SPANISH go thru names for farm animals.8d:

Prairie Friends by Nancy Smiler Levinson (An I Can Read bk) read to S Discuss seasons8e:

The Reasons for Seasons by Gail Gibbons (lib 525)8f:

The Complete Book of Seasons by Sally Tagholm KINGFISHER (lib 525 )8g:

A Year on our Farm by Penny Matthews (good for NZ seasons compare with

The Year on Maple Farm and work out with the J & S where our months would be in comparison, do a quick pict chart) Other compare Almanzo�s (then) & (now) below8h:

Finding Out about Everyday things (core c) -Bread pgs 70-71 (make a loaf)-Milk n Cheese pgs72-73 For J (since Diary land closed)

http://www.anchor.co.nz/factory_tour.htmlSCIENCE make butter exp here h

ttp://www.suzy.co.nz/suzysworld/Factpage.asp?FactSheet=15 For J Tie in with our Louis Pastuer book here

http://www.suzy.co.nz/suzysworld/Factpage.asp?FactSheet=252 8i:

Wild Places (core c) pgs10-118j:

Come Look with Me �

Animals in Art pgs 16-178k:

A childrens book of art pgs 14-15 (leave open for review)8l:

The Berenstain Bears� Science (for S) pgs 26-29 & pgs 42-53 -

Bonny�s Big DayClydesdale or draft Horses

http://www.rarebreeds.co.nz/clydesdale.html 9:

Horsepower � The Wonder of Draft Horses by Cris Peterson (lib 636.1) Plow horses (J & S to give narration from here

http://www.first-school.ws/t/cp_animals/horses/13.htm ) -

Smudge, The Little Lost Lamb10:

The Crippled Lamb by Max Lucado (compare the character of the 2 lambs)Nursery rhymes (Refer to Amy�s themed pre-k FARM module found here

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLPreschool/?yguid=168665681 and read favourite pre-k books as we go

)http://www.livingbookscurriculum.com/MotherGoose/MOTHER-GOOSE.htm#a2

LITTLE BOY BLUE Little Boy Blue, come, blow your horn!The sheep's in the meadow, the cow's in the corn.Where's the little boy that looks after the sheep?Under the haystack, fast asleep!(For S) Paste first line here http://www.handwritingworksheets.com/denelian-1/make-d.htm

Maths craft(identify shapes S & both ruler work. J to add up total length of rect�s)

http://www.first-school.ws/t/eslboyblue.html & http://www.first-school.ws/t/eslboybluehay.html assemble craft & use for pict in L/A�s notebook - copy work entire rhyme (J) partial (S) abovePre-k Memory match up (for S) only print �farm� ones ( review words with J)

http://www.janbrett....._game_main.htm Refer to some of the stories in Amy�s themed pre-k FARM module found here

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLPreschool/?yguid=168665681 phonics �fun�

http://www.kiddyhouse.com/Farm/farmphonics.html Make a recording of the d/c narrating �DRAMATICALLY�

their favourite �farm� nursery rhyme SL core c other books

Living Long Ago pgs 50-72 (Food & Eating)

The First Book of Nature pgs 26-48 (Trees) discuss seasons

Children�s Encyclopedia pgs 44-45 (trees) pgs 60-61(I think we may do the James Herriot U/S next time around) 2 units already done Unit studies herehttp://www.homeschoolshare.com/christmas_day_kitten.htm

http://www.homeschoo...herriot_mbt.htmfound these for our cut & glue-ing crazy dd :Big Grin:

http://www.billybear4kids.com/worksheets/animals/baby.html animal family�s

http://www.billybear4kids.com/worksheets/animals/grown.html

Thank you so much for posting all of this... it is an amazing amount of information/resources and a GReAT help to a rookie!

IzyMoe - mom of 4
mimosa

This really belongs in the pinned posts of all the cores: There is a book called, "All Through the Ages, A History Through Literature Guide" by Christine Miller and it lists literature for every country or time period for all age groups by different publishers. Awesome book for extra resources. :)

ME

Edited by mimosa

momtoboys

"The Human Planet" Documentary: To go with Core B in the first weeks when "Peoples of the World" is covered, we enjoyed watching clips from a documentary series called "The Human Planet". It is available on Netflix right now. There are portions of several of the series that are much too graphic in content, so it is not appropriate to watch an entire episode, but it is a fascinating series, and I enjoyed watching it in the evenings, and writing down the minute mark of clips that I thought would be interesting for the kids to help introduce the concepts of how vastly different people live in different parts of the world. 

Rajahope1

Flash Cards for Sing the Word: From A to Z

I had tried some flashcards I found on a blog but they didn't quite line up with the song lyrics.  This is my version.  If the lyrics matched a translation of the Bible, that's included.  If they were a blend of a few translations, I didn't add the the translation.  Hope it helps someone.  :)  

ABC Verses.pdf