Sonlight LA

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JellyBeanEater

New Kid on the Block

• Registered After 30
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Invalid Customer Number. Make sure the forum email address is the same as the Sonlight email address.

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:55 AM

If I purchase SL LA which goes with grade specific readers, will I need the reader schedule too? I only ask, because I noticed in the LA samples that it seems to have a reading schedule in it. I'd hate to NOT order it and need it, but I'd equally be disappointed in buying it only to find I don't need it, kwim?

Thanks for the input! :D

#2 kebg11

Curriculum Collector

• Registered After 30
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Sonlight Customer
Core IGs:
Core P3/4 Core P4/5 Core A
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1 Language Arts 2
Science IGs:
Science A

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:04 AM

We've done Readers/LA K, 1 and now 2. In all of those, the Readers schedule differs from what's in the LA only in that it contains comprehension questions for each reading and Timeline/Mapping suggestions in the later ones.

#3 Xzavan

Counting my blessings, one by one

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,626 posts
  • LocationWandering Around

Sonlight Customer Heirloom Level Sonlighter Club
Core IGs:
Core P4/5 Core A Core B Core C
Core D
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1 Language Arts 3 Language Arts D
Science IGs:
Science C Science D

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:51 PM

If I purchase SL LA which goes with grade specific readers, will I need the reader schedule too? I only ask, because I noticed in the LA samples that it seems to have a reading schedule in it. I'd hate to NOT order it and need it, but I'd equally be disappointed in buying it only to find I don't need it, kwim?

Thanks for the input! :D

Agreeing with the previous poster. The readers schedule contains the same schedule as in the LA guide. HOWEVER, it also includes mapping work and discussion questions not found in the LA IG.

Veronica, Wife to the Best Pastor in the World

Mother to: Vaneza, 13; Xzavier, 10; Zacarayah, 8; Eliza Beth, 7; Hozannah, 2, and Keziah, 1;

Remember that it took it a group of professionals to build the 

Titanic, but a lone amateur built the Ark.

gallery_6207_222_42224.png

#4 JellyBeanEater

New Kid on the Block

• Registered After 30
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Invalid Customer Number. Make sure the forum email address is the same as the Sonlight email address.

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:39 PM

Hmm, thanks for that honesty. :) Now to decide. My kids are pretty good at narrating back to me, but the discussion questions might be fun all the same. Ahhh!

#5 jtjsrj

Laughing with my boys

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationKansas

Core IGs:
Core D
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1 Language Arts 2 Language Arts 3
Science IGs:
Science A Science B Science C Science D

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:06 AM

Which Readers package are you looking at? We have always had the separate reader's schedule, but I don't think it's critical for Readers K and 1. We do use it for mapping and timeline for Readers 2. I would assume that it becomes increasingly helpful and important as the readers progress in difficulty.
Sharilee

Enjoying life with my DH and 2 boys (9 and 5)
Core D, Science D, Singapore Math, AAS, HWT, R&S English, AWANA
Core P4/5, Singapore Earlybird, HWT

#6 JellyBeanEater

New Kid on the Block

• Registered After 30
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:58 PM

I'm only getting readers for grade 2 & grade 3. I'm not getting the ones that match the exact core we'll be using because my eldest doesn't have the ability to read at that level yet. :) I'm thinking for Grade 2, I wouldn't really need the questions as the books are down the Nate The Great line.. I'm uncertain about Grade 3. Opinion?

#7 Xzavan

Counting my blessings, one by one

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,626 posts
  • LocationWandering Around

Core IGs:
Core D
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1 Language Arts 3 Language Arts D
Science IGs:
Science C Science D

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:35 AM

I think it depends on if you pre-read the readers right before, or if you have more than one child.

For, example I have my second child going through the readers grade 4-5 now, and I haven't read them since my oldest was 6, so I don't remember what happened in every chapter. My children are pretty good at summerizing, but my oldest doesn't pay careful attention to details, so I find the questions helpful, so I can make sure that when I am not home, they can't just look at a book and say "oh, that's a a GIRL book" and read one chapter and then the next day tell me some details from the same chapter so they don't have to spend time on a book they do"'t like. Or I don't remember what happened in the chapter. The discussion questions are a bit more detailed than a standard narration would be. Like asking about something specific yet small that happened, they usually remember when asked, but rarely tell me about.

But, I think it's up to you how well you will use them.

Veronica, Wife to the Best Pastor in the World

Mother to: Vaneza, 13; Xzavier, 10; Zacarayah, 8; Eliza Beth, 7; Hozannah, 2, and Keziah, 1;

Remember that it took it a group of professionals to build the 

Titanic, but a lone amateur built the Ark.

gallery_6207_222_42224.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users