• Full Forum Access
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Sonlight Customer Core Level Sonlighter Club
Core IGs:
Core B Core F

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:21 PM

Hello,

I am looking at using Sonlight Core D for my 3rd and 4th grader. I have heard some negative reviews of Sonlight on another board, but I keep being drawn to using Sonlight. I would love to hear reviews for core D.

Thanks!
2013-2014 Plans
G ~ (autism) CHOW, Abeka History/Science, MUS, Apples & Pears Spelling, Dancing Bears Fast Track, ARFH
J ~ SL Core F, Apologia General Science, MUS, EG 7, Phonetic Zoo, Pentime 7, IEW
M ~ SL Core F, Apologia Zoology 2 & 3, MUS, EG 5, Apples & Pears Spelling, ARFH, IEW
J (3.5)
S (2)

Two roads diverged in a wood and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost

#2 NYcornfield

Jumping in with both feet!

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts

Sonlight Customer Heirloom Level Sonlighter Club
Core IGs:
Core P4/5 Core B Core C Core F
Core G Core H
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 1 Language Arts F
Science IGs:
Science B Science F Science G

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:25 PM

I was always drawn to Sonlight even before I started homeschooling. I think we were all hungry for good books but didn't know it. After we started... my kids just gobbled up the books. They even go re-read their favorites. I'm fortunate enough to have 2 really strong readers. We have had to adjust curr. in other subjects but we are loving history with Core D (I learning and enjoying it as much as my daughter).

Melissa
married to DH for 17yrs (but it seems like forever)

DD13 - Core H, Apologia Physical Science, TT Pre-Algebra, IEW Medieval & Fix it, BJU Vocabulary, RS French, Community Bible Study - Revelation, Horses, violin & piano

DD10- Core D, AiG Inventions & Technology, TT 5, AAS Level 5, Shirley English 3, IEW SWI-A, RS French, Community Bible Study - Revelation, Horses, cello & piano

#3 Bendxap

Say it ben-JAP, means female, woman, girl in Zapotec

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,390 posts
  • Locationsouthern Mexico

Sonlight Customer
Core IGs:
Core D Core E
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts D Language Arts E

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:33 PM

I dragged my feet about trying SL because "everyone" was using it! But once we started it (Core B+C when my boys were 2nd and 4th grades), I was hooked! They love it, too, often reread SL books. We did all the cores since B+C, except that we did Core W instead of the separate cores because of time constraints, 100, 200 and 400.

We are now finishing up our journey: R is a senior at the MK school (his choice to "get ready for college"), M chose to stay home to do 300.

I learned so much American history when we did Core D. It was great! There were a couple of books that I wasn't wild about (Incans, Aztecs and Mayans and Story of the USA come to mind) but I loved--or at least liked--most of the rest!

Edited by Bendxap, 17 October 2011 - 06:35 PM.

Valerie, happily married to N for 20 years (not bad considering I didn't start this marriage journey til I was 38)

and happily momma to two great guys

WorkingMen
Uploaded 26 Aug 2013 - 10:16

R, 19 years old and M, 17 years old

#4 Xzavan

Counting my blessings, one by one

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,538 posts
  • LocationWandering Around

Core IGs:
Core P4/5 Core A Core B Core C
Core D
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1 Language Arts 3 Language Arts D
Science IGs:
Science C Science D

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:34 PM

Core D is my favorite core, so far, although E is pulling a close second. I do agree that Sonlight isn't for everyone, but if you have read the articles Reasons NOT to Buy Sonlight, and I think the other is called Reasons Families Love Sonlight (the exact number of reasons has changed over the years, I think it is 27???), and you still feel drawn to it, you will have better success. Sonlight is rather intense, and goes much further in depth than most curriculums, especially those of the textbook style, and it is heavier on the parent than other curriculums can be, but the rewards are worth it for us. It also is a bit intense in the subjects it presents.

In addition, many people try to do higher cores than their children are ready for, and then get frustrated because, well, the work level is rather intense for the child. I would expect Core D to be a very intense core for a 3rd grader, and an intense core for a 4th grader, but if you find it is a bit too much, you can easily take longer than a year to do it all. It is more history than *I* ever got in advanced classes in HIGH school, so I don't mind waiting until a child is a bit older, if need be.

Veronica, Wife to the Best Pastor in the World

Mother to: Vaneza, 13; Xzavier, 10; Zacarayah, 8; Eliza Beth, 7; Hozannah, 2, and Keziah, 1;

Remember that it took it a group of professionals to build the 

Titanic, but a lone amateur built the Ark.

gallery_6207_222_42224.png

#5 Dcubed

Living Core 5

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,522 posts
  • LocationShanghai

Core IGs:
Core B Core C Core D Core E
Core F Core G Core H Core 100
Core 200 Core 300 Core 400 British Lit
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 3 Language Arts 4-5 Language Arts D Language Arts E
Language Arts F Language Arts G
Science IGs:
Science B

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:51 PM

I had totally discounted Sonlight as too expensive but kept getting out my catalog (which i still do not know how it got sent as I didn't request it, lol) until I had convinced myself that I had to try it. We pulled my dc after 1st and 2nd grades and started with Core B. Sonlight quickly became the top thing we did each day and it *had* to be done last. My dc would chime "Best for last - like dessert!" whenever I mentioned changing up the schedule.

My dc still do not consider SL to be school and my 12yo is listening in on the read-alouds even though she's chosen a different curriculum this year.

We loved Core D when we did it, though we do have to sometimes drop a book because of sensitivity issues. We've only dropped a few books so far and there are more than enough other books assigned and books that are recommended to never even feel the lack.

What criticisms have you heard? We can address those specifically. It may turn out that SL is not for you. Or, like many others, it may be a great fit.
Denise
Married 25 years to wonderful dh

dd 15yo, loves to read - Core 400, Jacob's Geometry, Write at Home Grade 10
dd 14yo, loves to cuddle - Keys to Geometry, Core H, Write at Home Grade 9

Also doing Rainbow Science and - ?, various workbooks and learning Mandarin with a tutor.

#6 Summer in KS

New Kid on the Block

• Full Forum Access
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Core IGs:
Core B Core F

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:58 PM

Thank you all for your replies! I have read the reasons not to buy, and the reasons you will love lists. None of the reasons not to buy register with me, and I love all the reasons to love Sonlight....so I imagine Sonlight would be a good fit for us. I had purchased core B a couple years back, but because of medical issues with my baby at the time we didn't get to do it. I am now wondering if the combined B-C core would be better for their ages? They are 8 and 10. I don't feel like either of them are really sensitive kids, and both are very bright for their age. I guess some of the negatives I have heard is that it is just a reading list, and it is too much reading. But, ever since I started homeschooling five years ago I have always wanted to do Sonlight.

My two year old is kind of distracting during school. Do you think we would be able to get our history/science (will probably block schedule these), and literature readings done during his two hour nap in the afternoon?

Edited by Summer in KS, 17 October 2011 - 09:00 PM.

2013-2014 Plans
G ~ (autism) CHOW, Abeka History/Science, MUS, Apples & Pears Spelling, Dancing Bears Fast Track, ARFH
J ~ SL Core F, Apologia General Science, MUS, EG 7, Phonetic Zoo, Pentime 7, IEW
M ~ SL Core F, Apologia Zoology 2 & 3, MUS, EG 5, Apples & Pears Spelling, ARFH, IEW
J (3.5)
S (2)

Two roads diverged in a wood and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost

#7 Xzavan

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,538 posts

Core IGs:
Core D
Language Arts IGs:
Science IGs:
Science C Science D

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:05 PM

Thank you all for your replies! I have read the reasons not to buy, and the reasons you will love lists. None of the reasons not to buy register with me, and I love all the reasons to love Sonlight....so I imagine Sonlight would be a good fit for us. I had purchased core B a couple years back, but because of medical issues with my baby at the time we didn't get to do it. I am now wondering if the combined B-C core would be better for their ages? They are 8 and 10. I don't feel like either of them are really sensitive kids, and both are very bright for their age. I guess some of the negatives I have heard is that it is just a reading list, and it is too much reading. But, ever since I started homeschooling five years ago I have always wanted to do Sonlight.

My two year old is kind of distracting during school. Do you think we would be able to get our history/science (will probably block schedule these), and literature readings done during his two hour nap in the afternoon?

Well, if you have Core B and haven't done it yet, I would just start right there. You can move through it faster than scheduled and start Core C as soon as you are done. Core B+C is basically Core B and C at a faster pace, so the same thing. :) But, I don't see a whole lot of reason to buy the combined core if you already own half the materials.

I would say that you can easily get your history and literature readings done in the naptime, and science is pretty short as well. I don't see any problem there. I wished my children napped when they were two. And for two WHOLE HOURS!! :)
I would just start out and try to see how much you can get done with what you have during the naptime and seeing how that goes. You might be surprised at how much you can get done.

Mother to: Vaneza, 13; Xzavier, 10; Zacarayah, 8; Eliza Beth, 7; Hozannah, 2, and Keziah, 1;

#8 Dcubed

Living Core 5

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,522 posts
  • LocationShanghai

Core IGs:
Core B Core C Core D Core E
Core F Core G Core H Core 100
Core 200 Core 300 Core 400 British Lit
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 3 Language Arts 4-5 Language Arts D Language Arts E
Language Arts F Language Arts G
Science IGs:
Science B

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:09 PM

Thank you all for your replies! I have read the reasons not to buy, and the reasons you will love lists. None of the reasons not to buy registar with me, and I love all the reasons to love Sonlight....so I imagine Sonlight would be a good fit for us. I had purchased core B a couple years back, but because of medical issues with my baby at the time we didn't get to do it. I am now wondering if the combined B-C core would be better for their ages? They are 8 and 10. I don't feel like either of them are really sensitive kids, and both are very bright for their age. I guess some of the negatives I have heard is that it is just a reading list, and it is too much reading. But, ever since I started homeschooling five years ago I have always wanted to do Sonlight.

B&C might be good, as might both B and C done at double pace. My dc *always* asked me to read more when we started Core B, so we ended up doing both B and C in 10 months. *I* couldn't bear to leave out any of the books when we started, so I started B without expecting to accelerate it at all, but we did. if you already have B, you can try it and see how it works for you, for the dc and the possibility of accelerating.

I have heard complaints about too much reading, but an equal number complaining that there aren't enough books (my dc are in this category with the readers). If your dc are strong self-motivated readers, then SL will be a great fit. I think you should be able to get most/all of the reading done during baby's nap. A lot of people save the read-aloud to do at bedtime (sometimes dad even does this), so it does not have to be done in 'school hours.'
Denise
Married 25 years to wonderful dh

dd 15yo, loves to read - Core 400, Jacob's Geometry, Write at Home Grade 10
dd 14yo, loves to cuddle - Keys to Geometry, Core H, Write at Home Grade 9

Also doing Rainbow Science and - ?, various workbooks and learning Mandarin with a tutor.

#9 Just Little Ol' Me

Sonlight user since 9/2002

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,806 posts
  • Locationempty nest

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:20 AM

Hello,

I am looking at using Sonlight Core D for my 3rd and 4th grader. I have heard some negative reviews of Sonlight on another board, but I keep being drawn to using Sonlight. I would love to hear reviews for core D.

Thanks!

Core D was the first core we used at my house, and we LOVED it. I personally studied nothing but "American" history all through my public school education, plus another year in college, and I still learned a lot from this core!

If you're set on combining them, I might go with a lower core simply because of the 3rd grader. I feel core D is best for students who are already 9yo to start (usually 4th grade, in other words). That is not only because of the maturity of the subject matter and the workload, but also in looking down the line at the other cores. Following that guideline, to me, allows the student to be a better age for the rest of the cores.

But this core is fantastic. Truly one of my favorites, though there is only one I didn't really care for (and even that one I used twice, so it isn't BAD).
Laurie
When I speak of doing a core, I mean the 5-day plan in its entirety. I mean the child reading the reader, and the parent reading the rest, until cores 100+, where the child does it all, unless I specifically say otherwise. The views in this post are strictly mine (unless otherwise noted), and are colored by my experiences with my children. They may not apply to your situation at all, so take what seems to fit and use it, and disregard the rest.
My other "badges": Apologia General Science, Apologia Physical Science, Body by Design, Signs and Seasons; Math Singapore 2B-6B with IP and CWP, Saxon 54, 65, 76, 87, VideoText Algebra, Life of Fred Fractions - Geometry, Keys to Algebra.

#10 Just Little Ol' Me

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,806 posts
  • Locationempty nest

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:31 AM

I guess some of the negatives I have heard is that it is just a reading list, and it is too much reading.

Some people use the catalog as a reading list. But it is far more than that if you use the IG.

Too much reading for whom?
The student is expected to read ONE BOOK at a time until high school, and if you've chosen the core correctly, I don't think that assignment is going to take more than about 30 minutes a day.

If the criticism is that it is too much reading for the parent, I wonder how these people expect the students to learn. I have never found more than two ways to get information into a brain - seeing or hearing. So unless they're going to plop their child in front of a computer or TV all day, it seems that the parent is going to be doing reading aloud...or you're back to the student doing a lot of reading!

I wouldn't block-schedule the history and science. I find it much more beneficial to do a little bit of everything daily, than to do a lot of something less frequently. When you aren't doing it every day, you end up spending a lot more time reviewing. Sonlight's IG has things broken down into neat little chunks, and you're paying good money to buy that schedule, so try doing it the way it is written. If that doesn't work, then of course you can switch it up. But I'm one to use what I pay for, and that schedule is the reason it is NOT "a reading list" to quote your friends.

It is hard to say whether you can do it during naptime or not. Every time I tried to take advantage of naptime for something, it bit me in the backside (I think the child could feel my anxiety about getting that nap started, and it didn't go well). But taking a look at the time estimates for the core you want to do, and keeping in mind that this is for the entire DAY, not just the history/science/literature, I think it is possible.

You can also post on the "homeschooling methods" forum for ideas on how to deal with a youngster while trying to maintain a decent homeschool schedule (or look there for existing threads).
Laurie
When I speak of doing a core, I mean the 5-day plan in its entirety. I mean the child reading the reader, and the parent reading the rest, until cores 100+, where the child does it all, unless I specifically say otherwise. The views in this post are strictly mine (unless otherwise noted), and are colored by my experiences with my children. They may not apply to your situation at all, so take what seems to fit and use it, and disregard the rest.
My other "badges": Apologia General Science, Apologia Physical Science, Body by Design, Signs and Seasons; Math Singapore 2B-6B with IP and CWP, Saxon 54, 65, 76, 87, VideoText Algebra, Life of Fred Fractions - Geometry, Keys to Algebra.

#11 Summer in KS

New Kid on the Block

• Full Forum Access
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Core IGs:
Core B Core F

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:23 AM

Thank you all for your really great advice. I think since I have core B here we may try to use it, and just go double pace like you mentioned. I didn't know that was an option because I was looking at the age ranges on Sonlights website. I agree time spent reading to our kids to teach them is very well spent time!
2013-2014 Plans
J (3.5)
S (2)

#12 MomtoL,A,O,C

Enjoying my old store turned house

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,164 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Sonlight Customer
Core IGs:
Core B Core C Core D
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 1 Language Arts 2 Language Arts D
Science IGs:
Science B Science C Science D

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:51 AM

There would be mutiny on my hands if I where to ever propose leaving SL.

Part of the reason we use SL is for me as I love to sit down every day with the girls the other is because the girls BEG to do school everyday

#13 Swimommy

Registered User, after 30 days

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationHalf Moon Bay, the Pumpkin Capital of the World!

Core IGs:
Core P3/4 Core P4/5 Core A Core B
Core C Core D Core E
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 2 Language Arts 3 Language Arts 4-5 Language Arts D
Science IGs:
Science A Science B Science C Science D

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:27 AM

Summer,

Here is how our schedule works. We are on Core D right now with an 8 and a 10 year old. I would not do it with any younger.

The kids do their independent school work in the morning (reading, math, writing, grammer). I am able to help them while still attending to to other kids and chores. Since I also have nappers, we save all of our teacher intensive stuff for that time.
During nap: Core work, read alouds, AAS.

We do Science twice a week, I double up the days on that and fit it in when I can. My dd8 does have a hard time sitting still so I might block science at a later time like the evening.

this schedule works for our family with young kids who nap but also allows us to have a nice break in the middle of the day to run errands or play.

As far as Core D specifically, I LOVE American History and have already learned more than I knew from my education and college degree. Every book in this Core is worth every penny imo:)

Hope this helps,
Posted Image

Mom to:
Brooks: 07/14/01 Core E, TT7, IEW, AAS 5, Baseball, Swimming
Channing 08/19/03 Core E, TT5, IEW, AAS 5, Dance, Gymnastics, Swimming
Vaughn 10/04/06 Core P4/5, Abeka Readers and Phonics, MUS Alpha, Gymnastics, Swimming
Charis 12/25/08 Core P3/4, Ballet, Gymnastics, Swimming
Grey 11/07/10 Yes he swims too!

Canaan 03/07/13

#14 Summer in KS

New Kid on the Block

• Full Forum Access
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Core IGs:
Core B Core F

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:06 AM

There would be mutiny on my hands if I where to ever propose leaving SL.

Part of the reason we use SL is for me as I love to sit down every day with the girls the other is because the girls BEG to do school everyday

That is so great to hear. Thank you for sharing!

Summer,

Here is how our schedule works. We are on Core D right now with an 8 and a 10 year old. I would not do it with any younger.

The kids do their independent school work in the morning (reading, math, writing, grammer). I am able to help them while still attending to to other kids and chores. Since I also have nappers, we save all of our teacher intensive stuff for that time.
During nap: Core work, read alouds, AAS.

We do Science twice a week, I double up the days on that and fit it in when I can. My dd8 does have a hard time sitting still so I might block science at a later time like the evening.

this schedule works for our family with young kids who nap but also allows us to have a nice break in the middle of the day to run errands or play.

As far as Core D specifically, I LOVE American History and have already learned more than I knew from my education and college degree. Every book in this Core is worth every penny imo:)

Hope this helps,

This is similar to how we do school now. Math, spelling, grammar, and writing are in the morning. Then we do history/science in the afternoon. Do you feel like Core D is a good fit for your childrens ages?

Thanks,

Summer
2013-2014 Plans
J (3.5)
S (2)

#15 MommyPenguin

Sonlight fan

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts
  • LocationMilitary wife, so we move a lot!

Core IGs:
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1 Language Arts 3
Science IGs:
Science B

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:03 AM

Laurie, I was just reading this thread and noticed your current signature. I cannot figure out how to PM you (sorry, I'm probably missing something obvious), but I happen to have saved some posts about planning for high school at some point, and your signature was in the file I saved. It was:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Sarah-
Emily is 7 years old (1/07) and doing Core B, Apologia Astronomy, FLL 1, WWE 1, AAS 2, AAR 3, Singapore 1B, Life of Fred Edgewood, Mandarin, French, Logic, ARFH T, and LEGO WeDo;
Jenny, 5 years old (10/08) and doing P4/5 with AAR 2 and IEW PAL, Singapore 1A, Logic, RightStart A, ARFH A;
Charlotte, 3 years old (8/10) and doing P3/4, RightStart A, AAR pre-1, and Letter of the Week from Confessions of a Homeschooler; and
Megan, 1 year old (10/12), sweet climbing toddler who is always either sleeping or getting into trouble.
Blogging about homeschooling here!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#16 Just Little Ol' Me

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,806 posts
  • Locationempty nest

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:51 PM

Laurie, I was just reading this thread and noticed your current signature. I cannot figure out how to PM you (sorry, I'm probably missing something obvious), but I happen to have saved some posts about planning for high school at some point, and your signature was in the file I saved.

Oh, bless your heart! And thank you!
Laurie

#17 Xzavan

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,538 posts

Core IGs:
Core D
Language Arts IGs:
Science IGs:
Science C Science D

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:09 PM

Do you feel like Core D is a good fit for your childrens ages?

I am not the other poster, but I wanted to respond to this question. I feel that Core D can work for a gifted 8 year old, I did it with my oldest at age 8. But, then again, I had built her up through the cores, and we had done tons of reading all the time up to then. But, she still found it to be just a bit on the overwhelming side, so we did slow it down for her. In fact, I kinda found it on the overwhelming (but in a GOOD way) side, because there were so much information I had never been taught in school. :D

If I had to do it again, I would have waited until she was 9 or 10 to do it with her. But, of course, I am also glad we did it the way we did. But, we took a year off after that, before starting Core E, because it was just a bit too intense for her.

I plan to start it with my just about 8 year old this spring, but again, we are going to take more than a year to do it, possibly 2 years.

Both of my children are advanced in most areas (my oldest is dyslexic), but even so, I do feel core D is a really, really advanced core. So, it is do-able.

But, I do think that a child really needs to built up to this level at that age. I would have a hard time starting with a child who wasn't used to a more heavy literature-rich approach to begin with, and I would use it with caution of one of the things you are worried about is too much reading, as a first core.

Edited by Xzavan, 18 October 2011 - 04:01 PM.

#18 Derf

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Core IGs:
Core A Core B Core C Core D
Core E Core G Core H Core W
Core 100

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:44 PM

We started this core when DS was 8 and turning 9 during it...his 3rd grade year...and are taking nearly 2 years to do it as I am adding in AMerica The Beautiful from Notgrass to stretch it out. I too felt he would get the full benefit of it,s really good information at HIS readiness and maturity level at an older age.

We had done cores K - 2 at the younger age limit for them one per year BUT this core was really a BIG step for us and I knew that he would enjoy and learn so much more if he were older from now on for the rest of Sonlight cores.

SO i looked around till I found something that would add to it a little different flavor but still go WITH it...and came across Notgrass's new middle school US history and it has been a great addition.

We are really enjoying this pace ...it is allowing us to really dig into our apologia science more also ( we are doing ZOO 1 & 2..and he really loves animals ) and the other information in America The Beautiful and plan to do core 4 in the same manner. Marne

#19 heartofjoy

Assign Positive Intent

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Core IGs:
Core C Core F Core G
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 1 Language Arts 2 Language Arts 3 Language Arts 4-5
Science IGs:
Science F

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

I had an 8yo ds who was/is NOT advanced, but pretty well-on average in every area. School comes mostly easily to him, but he's not driven to get ahead.

He started Core D when he was 8y4m and he did AWESOME. The material wasn't too far above him. He loved the readers, surprising me by going through them so quickly that I started assigning the advanced ones to him. This child did have Cores B and C under his belt, as well as Reader Packages: grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3. But he hadn't started flying through books until Core D. I think the material in this core is boy friendly! I wouldn't completely discount it for an 8yo based on age alone. :)

Desiree, mom to five children, ages 14, 12, 10, 9, 7
Cores Used: PK 3/4, PK 4/5, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, W, Science Used: A, B, C, D, F, H, 100
dd14 9th - One Year Adventure Novel, Apologia Physical Science (at local one-day school), World Geography (co-op), Drama (co-op), Speech/Debate (co-op) MUS Algebra I (home), Volleyball/Track/PE
ds12 7th - Core G, Apologia General Science, LA G, MUS PreA, Robotics (co-op), Art (co-op), Baseball
dd10 5th - SOTW 2, Science?, LA 4/5, MUS Gamma/Delta
dd9 3rd - SOTW 2, Science?, LA 1, MUS Beta
ds7 1st - Core PK 4/5 moving to K, LA 1, MUS Alpha

#20 Summer in KS

New Kid on the Block

• Full Forum Access
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Core IGs:
Core B Core F

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

Thank you all...you have been very helpful. We have done literature based programs before. I definitely don't think there is too much reading in SL I was just hoping to hear some positive reviews since I had heard several negative ones. I am still unsure of what to do, but you have all given me a lot to think about. I am leaning towards the idea of going through core b & c double time, but I am worried once I get started that that may not be realistic. I worry about starting one of the younger cores and if I don't get through them fast enough it will throw my 10 year old off track of where he should be in the future.
2013-2014 Plans
J (3.5)
S (2)

#21 heartofjoy

Assign Positive Intent

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Core IGs:
Core C Core F Core G
Language Arts IGs:
Science IGs:
Science F

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:34 PM

Thank you all...you have been very helpful. We have done literature based programs before. I definitely don't think there is too much reading in SL I was just hoping to hear some positive reviews since I had heard several negative ones. I am still unsure of what to do, but you have all given me a lot to think about. I am leaning towards the idea of going through core b & c double time, but I am worried once I get started that that may not be realistic. I worry about starting one of the younger cores and if I don't get through them fast enough it will throw my 10 year old off track of where he should be in the future.

My 7th grader is doing Core E, and even though I doubt she'll complete every core, she's getting a fabulous education. Getting through every core isn't my goal though. If you think it might be yours, then you should definitely take it into account when choosing where to start!

Cores Used: PK 3/4, PK 4/5, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, W, Science Used: A, B, C, D, F, H, 100
dd14 9th - One Year Adventure Novel, Apologia Physical Science (at local one-day school), World Geography (co-op), Drama (co-op), Speech/Debate (co-op) MUS Algebra I (home), Volleyball/Track/PE
ds12 7th - Core G, Apologia General Science, LA G, MUS PreA, Robotics (co-op), Art (co-op), Baseball

#22 Summer in KS

New Kid on the Block

• Full Forum Access
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Core IGs:
Core B Core F

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:19 PM

My 7th grader is doing Core E, and even though I doubt she'll complete every core, she's getting a fabulous education. Getting through every core isn't my goal though. If you think it might be yours, then you should definitely take it into account when choosing where to start!

Thanks. That makes me feel a lot better about going through Core B & C with them.
2013-2014 Plans
J (3.5)
S (2)

#23 Bendxap

Say it ben-JAP, means female, woman, girl in Zapotec

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,390 posts
  • Locationsouthern Mexico

Sonlight Customer
Core IGs:
Core D Core E
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts D Language Arts E

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:25 PM

I agree time spent reading to our kids to teach them is very well spent time!

Just want to confirm this. My older son is in a Christian school for MKs for his senior year of high school. We have homeschooled since his first grade and started SL when he was in 4th (I think!). He says that at school, the Bible teacher (who is a "tough" teacher according to the kids) gives a vocabulary list for them to learn. My son said that he almost always already knows all the words. We both believe that's because of all the reading that I've done with them through SL, since the books are often harder than the kids can/will read on their own.
Valerie, happily married to N for 20 years (not bad considering I didn't start this marriage journey til I was 38)

and happily momma to two great guys

WorkingMen
Uploaded 26 Aug 2013 - 10:16

R, 19 years old and M, 17 years old

#24 Summer in KS

New Kid on the Block

• Full Forum Access
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Core IGs:
Core B Core F

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:04 PM

Just want to confirm this. My older son is in a Christian school for MKs for his senior year of high school. We have homeschooled since his first grade and started SL when he was in 4th (I think!). He says that at school, the Bible teacher (who is a "tough" teacher according to the kids) gives a vocabulary list for them to learn. My son said that he almost always already knows all the words. We both believe that's because of all the reading that I've done with them through SL, since the books are often harder than the kids can/will read on their own.

Wow, that is awesome!
2013-2014 Plans
J (3.5)
S (2)

#25 Xzavan

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,538 posts

Core IGs:
Core D
Language Arts IGs:
Science IGs:
Science C Science D

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:00 PM

Well, you can break it down and look at the future.

First thing to keep in mind, Core 530 isn't really a "core." It doesn't contain history, and it is all British lit., which isn't a required subject in the American school system. So if you get to it, great, but if you don't, it's not a crisis.

Second, not every child has to finish every core to graduate. Many successful high school graduates use 1, 2, or 3 of Sonlight's upper cores only. Many have gone on to wonderful colleges and successful careers, and other great things. :)

So, I'm going to guess you have a 10 and an 8 year old, whom you want to keep together (and to be perfectly honest, you don't HAVE to keep them together, I find it easier not to, but if you want to, here's how it would look:) approximate ages.

10/8--Core B accelerated
10/8--Core C accelerated
11/9--Core D
12/10--Core E
13/11--Core F
14/12--Core G (at an accelerated pace, since it covers a lot of what they got in B
15/13--Core H--(again at an accelerated pace, since it exapands on Core C)
15/13--Core 100
16/14--Core 200
17/15--Core 300
18/16--Optional year for oldest, Core 400
17--Core 530

So, you really can squeeze in most of the cores IF you feel a need to. But, I think once you've done a couple cores, you'll see that the cores themselves are intense enough that you don't need them all. Core B, for example, covers more material than many High school world history classes, and that's a really low leveled core. :D

#26 happyhomeschooler

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,921 posts
  • LocationCanada

Core IGs:
Core E Core G Core 200
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1 Language Arts 2 Language Arts 3
Language Arts 4-5 Language Arts D Language Arts E
Science IGs:
Science F

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:52 AM

My 7th grader is also doing Core E and she is LOVING everything about it :) It is NOT too easy. She will do Core F for 8th :D

My ds who is 10yo and in 5th is doing Core D now --- also LOVING it :D We are planning to spread Core D and E over 3 years --- taking 1.5y for each :)

Like a previous poster mentioned I would have a "mutiny" on my hands if we ever dropped SL (from both the kids and dh --- he LOVES the read alouds just as much as they do :giggle: )

"Embracing the "it's good enough" philosophy instead of the "surely I'm not doing enough" philosophy." Tammy (TNmomof5)

Annie
2013-2014
:mail: 
Dd(14) Core 200, IEW, MUS Geometry, Rosetta Stone French, Apologia Biology, SAT Prep, The Fallacy Detective, Flute/Piano & Music Theory, Hip Hop & Jazz, Youth Worhsip Team
Ds(12) Core E with added Canadian History Content, IEW, AAS, MUS, Apologia EC with Chemistry & Physics, KidCoder, Guitar/Music Theory, Hip Hop, Taekwondo
Together: Fix-it! Grammar, Artistic Pursuits, Nature Walks, Community Service, Family Fireside Read-alouds and Field Trips - all sorts ;)

#27 happyhomeschooler

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,921 posts
  • LocationCanada

Core IGs:
Core E Core G Core 200
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 4-5 Language Arts D Language Arts E
Science IGs:
Science F

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:54 AM

First thing to keep in mind, Core 530 isn't really a "core." It doesn't contain history, and it is all British lit., which isn't a required subject in the American school system. So if you get to it, great, but if you don't, it's not a crisis.

Second, not every child has to finish every core to graduate. Many successful high school graduates use 1, 2, or 3 of Sonlight's upper cores only. Many have gone on to wonderful colleges and successful careers, and other great things. :)

So, I'm going to guess you have a 10 and an 8 year old, whom you want to keep together (and to be perfectly honest, you don't HAVE to keep them together, I find it easier not to, but if you want to, here's how it would look:) approximate ages.

10/8--Core B accelerated
10/8--Core C accelerated
11/9--Core D
12/10--Core E
13/11--Core F
14/12--Core G (at an accelerated pace, since it covers a lot of what they got in B
15/13--Core 100
16/14--Core 200
17/15--Core 300
17--Core 530

So, you really can squeeze in most of the cores IF you feel a need to. But, I think once you've done a couple cores, you'll see that the cores themselves are intense enough that you don't need them all. Core B, for example, covers more material than many High school world history classes, and that's a really low leveled core. :D

Completely agree with the bolded :D

"Embracing the "it's good enough" philosophy instead of the "surely I'm not doing enough" philosophy." Tammy (TNmomof5)

Annie
2013-2014
:mail: 
Dd(14) Core 200, IEW, MUS Geometry, Rosetta Stone French, Apologia Biology, SAT Prep, The Fallacy Detective, Flute/Piano & Music Theory, Hip Hop & Jazz, Youth Worhsip Team
Ds(12) Core E with added Canadian History Content, IEW, AAS, MUS, Apologia EC with Chemistry & Physics, KidCoder, Guitar/Music Theory, Hip Hop, Taekwondo
Together: Fix-it! Grammar, Artistic Pursuits, Nature Walks, Community Service, Family Fireside Read-alouds and Field Trips - all sorts ;)

#28 Hawkeyemom

Sonlighting since 2002

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts
  • LocationThe Northwoods

Core IGs:
Core C Core D Core E Core F
Core G Core H Core 100 Core 200
Core 300
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 4-5 Language Arts D Language Arts E Language Arts F
Language Arts G
Science IGs:
Science E Science F Science G

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:11 PM

10/8--Core B accelerated
10/8--Core C accelerated
11/9--Core D
12/10--Core E
13/11--Core F
15/13--Core 100
16/14--Core 200
17/15--Core 300
17--Core 530

Just a comment on your plan.... Some of the readings in core 6 and 7 are LONG.... I don't think I would increase the speed of these cores unless you dropped books.

Krista, wife of dh for 23 years and mom of:
DD 15, DD 14, DD 11, DS 9, DS 7, and DD 7

#29 Summer in KS

New Kid on the Block

• Full Forum Access
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Core IGs:
Core B Core F

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:17 PM

10/8--Core B accelerated
10/8--Core C accelerated
11/9--Core D
12/10--Core E
13/11--Core F
15/13--Core 100
16/14--Core 200
17/15--Core 300
17--Core 530

Thanks Veronica for helping me visualize how we could use the cores. From speaking with all of you I see now that we do not need to do all the cores. I really do not want to accelerate more than I have to. I am already having a hard time getting everything done with my 2 year old and my 5 month old. I know they will be older by G & H, but I will probably be starting to teach them too by then.
2013-2014 Plans
J (3.5)
S (2)

#30 heartofjoy

Assign Positive Intent

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Core IGs:
Core C Core F Core G
Language Arts IGs:
Science IGs:
Science F

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

Thanks Veronica for helping me visualize how we could use the cores. From speaking with all of you I see now that we do not need to do all the cores. I really do not want to accelerate more than I have to. I am already having a hard time getting everything done with my 2 year old and my 5 month old. I know they will be older by G & H, but I will probably be starting to teach them too by then.

If it helps any, my "sort of" plan for my oldest dd looks like this:

7th - Core E
8th - Core F
9th - World History using Core G
10th - American History using parts of Core H and 100
11th - World Geography (possibly using community college) and finishing any of Core H and 100 for the other 1/2 credit in Am. History
12th - Government/Economics (possibly using community college, possibly using parts of SL)

Or I may just go in order and complete through Core 200 with her, not using our available cc hours for history at all. Or I might drop SL completely in favor of having her focus on other areas, depending on where she's looking to concentrate her higher education. Every child is so different, that we have to consider their particular bent before we go planning out their high school years when they are 5 years old! I tried that. It just doesn't work. :Big Grin Guy:

#31 Just Little Ol' Me

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,806 posts
  • Locationempty nest

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:18 AM

Just a comment on your plan.... Some of the readings in core 6 and 7 are LONG.... I don't think I would increase the speed of these cores unless you dropped books.

I agree. The workload here really increases dramatically, and even students who have been zipping along doing earlier cores at double speed end up slowing down considerably by core F, and nearly IG pace (perhaps six days a week rather than five) by core G. Core H will take the full time allotted, in my view, and only by extending your year to more than 180 days will you be able to do these cores in less than a single school year.
Laurie

#32 Summer in KS

New Kid on the Block

• Full Forum Access
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Core IGs:
Core B Core F

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:16 PM

What do you guys think about us doing Core B+C? I know most people don't like to rush those two cores. I just can't get comfortable with the idea of putting my 10.5 year old in core 1. He is very advanced....and I don't think that would be good for him. My daughter is 8.5 also. I considered core 3 again, but she is not ready for the core 3 regular readers. She is only ready for grade 3 readers. I thought maybe we could do core B+C, and then move onto Core 3 next year. This summer we also could read the extra read alouds we like that are left out of B+C.
2013-2014 Plans
J (3.5)
S (2)

#33 Swimommy

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationHalf Moon Bay, the Pumpkin Capital of the World!

Core IGs:
Core C Core D Core E
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 2 Language Arts 3 Language Arts 4-5 Language Arts D
Science IGs:

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

Hi I am doing Core D (3) with my ds 10 and my dd 8. Dd is reading the 3rd grade readers and not the Core 3 reg readers. There are a good amount of early American story lines in those readers like the Pony Express, Long Way to a New Land, etc. I'm pretty comfortable knowing she is not getting 'as much' as my ds. He has always been at the older age range for the Cores we do but he gets more out of it. Dd is doing fine. So that's how we tweak it.
Posted Image

Mom to:
Brooks: 07/14/01 Core E, TT7, IEW, AAS 5, Baseball, Swimming
Channing 08/19/03 Core E, TT5, IEW, AAS 5, Dance, Gymnastics, Swimming
Vaughn 10/04/06 Core P4/5, Abeka Readers and Phonics, MUS Alpha, Gymnastics, Swimming
Charis 12/25/08 Core P3/4, Ballet, Gymnastics, Swimming
Grey 11/07/10 Yes he swims too!

Canaan 03/07/13

#34 Summer in KS

New Kid on the Block

• Full Forum Access
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Core IGs:
Core B Core F

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:10 PM

Hi I am doing Core D (3) with my ds 10 and my dd 8. Dd is reading the 3rd grade readers and not the Core 3 reg readers. There are a good amount of early American story lines in those readers like the Pony Express, Long Way to a New Land, etc. I'm pretty comfortable knowing she is not getting 'as much' as my ds. He has always been at the older age range for the Cores we do but he gets more out of it. Dd is doing fine. So that's how we tweak it.

Oh wow really? We may do that. I considered it, but I was worried my daughter might be missing something not doing the core 3 regular readers.
2013-2014 Plans
J (3.5)
S (2)

#35 Xzavan

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,538 posts

Core IGs:
Core D
Language Arts IGs:
Science IGs:
Science C Science D

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:47 PM

Oh wow really? We may do that. I considered it, but I was worried my daughter might be missing something not doing the core 3 regular readers.

I would want to do at least some of the Core D readers, though. They are really good and add a lot to the history, even if you have to read them out loud to her. The readers really add a lot to the history core.

The other thing to consider, is long-term planning. If you do Core D this year, but she doesnt' do the readers, is she going to be up to the level of doing the Core E readers the year after that, or Core F the following year? Every year, the reader level goes up, right along with the core. The Core E readers are harder than D, and so forth.

So, unless you are expecting her to improve to the E reader level the following year, I would perhaps change your considerations for what to do now. Some children do improve that quickly. Some don't. If you aren't sure, I wouldn't count on it. I'd rather plan too low and adapt, than plan too high.

Another thing to consider is doing 2 cores. Core D for the 10 year old, and Core B or B+C (although I'd stick with just B, and maybe go a little faster than scheduled, and then C, as that includes all the extra books, especially if she is going to need extra time to build up reading level).

Now, before you say "It's going to take too much time to do 2 cores, keep in mind the following:

1. You can pre-read some of the read-alouds for your oldest and have him read those on his own to save you time.
2. Core B is a lighter core than Core D, so the readings are shorter.
3. If you do a lower core with a more advanced child, you could potentially wind up spending a lot of time looking for more books in history, more read-alouds, more readers, and so forth, and then spending extra time doing those.
4. If you do a higher core, you could spend the same amount of time as doing the second core looking for easier materials for the younger child.

When I've tried to combine (I'm not good at it, though), I've spent at least as much time as it would have taken to do 2 cores, to find and add in (and then DO) extra things. Especially when the children are at different levels and have different needs.

So, just some things to keep in mind.

#36 Summer in KS

New Kid on the Block

• Full Forum Access
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Core IGs:
Core B Core F

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:07 PM

I would want to do at least some of the Core D readers, though. They are really good and add a lot to the history, even if you have to read them out loud to her. The readers really add a lot to the history core.

The other thing to consider, is long-term planning. If you do Core D this year, but she doesnt' do the readers, is she going to be up to the level of doing the Core E readers the year after that, or Core F the following year? Every year, the reader level goes up, right along with the core. The Core E readers are harder than D, and so forth.

So, unless you are expecting her to improve to the E reader level the following year, I would perhaps change your considerations for what to do now. Some children do improve that quickly. Some don't. If you aren't sure, I wouldn't count on it. I'd rather plan too low and adapt, than plan too high.

Another thing to consider is doing 2 cores. Core D for the 10 year old, and Core B or B+C (although I'd stick with just B, and maybe go a little faster than scheduled, and then C, as that includes all the extra books, especially if she is going to need extra time to build up reading level).

Now, before you say "It's going to take too much time to do 2 cores, keep in mind the following:

1. You can pre-read some of the read-alouds for your oldest and have him read those on his own to save you time.
2. Core B is a lighter core than Core D, so the readings are shorter.
3. If you do a lower core with a more advanced child, you could potentially wind up spending a lot of time looking for more books in history, more read-alouds, more readers, and so forth, and then spending extra time doing those.
4. If you do a higher core, you could spend the same amount of time as doing the second core looking for easier materials for the younger child.

When I've tried to combine (I'm not good at it, though), I've spent at least as much time as it would have taken to do 2 cores, to find and add in (and then DO) extra things. Especially when the children are at different levels and have different needs.

So, just some things to keep in mind.

Thanks for your help. I don't think I will go with Core 3 for my dd since her reading is a little behind. You don't think core B+C with appropriate readers would work for them both this year?
2013-2014 Plans
J (3.5)
S (2)

#37 Just Little Ol' Me

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,806 posts
  • Locationempty nest

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:03 AM

Thanks for your help. I don't think I will go with Core 3 for my dd since her reading is a little behind. You don't think core B+C with appropriate readers would work for them both this year?

I don't always see eye-to-eye with Veronica, but I agree with her most of the time, and I often defer to her when it comes to her advice with the cores I didn't use (we began with core 3/D at my house - my youngest was 9yo at that time).

I agree with her assessment that you would probably find it easier to use core D with your 10.5yo, and core B with the 8yo. She gave some excellent reasons for that - and in reading her answer to you, I was nodding emphatically and anticipating the next thing she needed to say (she hit all the points I would have made myself, had she not already said them).

It would probably "work" for you to do core B+C with them both, and in fact that is why there is such a large selection of readers/LA for that core. But is "work"ing the ideal for you? Or do you wish to provide the "BEST"?

I don't think it would be the best. But I'm not living in your house with your children. I chose for mine, and you have the opportunity to choose for yours.

Things to think about when deciding where to place your oldest, which is the first decision I think you need to make -
If I go with (fill in the blank) core this year for my 10.5yo, what do we do next year when he's 11.5? What about the year he's 12.5? When he's 13.5? Now you are left with the years of 14.5, 15,5, 16.5 and 17.5 for high school - does that put you in the spot you wish to be in then? Will your choice for the years 10.5, 11.5, 12.5 and 13.5 give you enough time to have him ready for high school level work (not necessarily the 100's cores, and not necessarily ALL of those!)?

Once you have it settled as to what the best route is for him, THEN you can decide how to place your younger student. Maybe it will "work" to have her tag along for a year or two, doing her own level of most everything. Maybe she doesn't NEED "social studies" at all and you'd rather concentrate on the 4Rs (Reading, wRiting, aRithmetic and Religion) instead of adding in the extras (science, history, and other traditional things). Maybe you legally need to cover state history - and this might be a good year to do it for her while your son does core D. There are all sorts of options to consider besides doing one core for both children. But only YOU can decide what is best.

In fact, only you can decide who is the priority for getting the best. Is it YOU, the parent, needing to consolidate due to time constraints and obligations beyond homeschooling? Is it the older student, due to having fewer years left at home? Is it the younger student, who is lacking in basic skills and needs a less strenuous curriculum?

Beyond that, you even need to think about scheduling - are you stuck in a Sept-May calendar? Are you limited by a 9-3, M-F time slot? Can you cover some of the required material in non-traditional times, either during weeks when public schools are not in session or during the evenings and/or weekends? Are you willing to stagger your own obligations in such a way as to block your time out more efficiently for educating the children, or are you locked in to a certain time limit? Can you go at your own pace, or do you have an authority to whom you must report or who will evaluate annual "progress"? Are you able to do subjects faster (or more slowly) than one level per "school year"?

Finally, the "her reading is a little behind" thing. Reading skills are something that seem to advance in fits and spurts. Have you ever noticed that children seem to grow really fast at certain times, then they stay the same size in clothing for awhile, then they go really fast again for a bit and you can't buy a size they wear out before they outgrow it? Reading skills are like that, too. She may surprise you. Or maybe she needs some sort of intervention. Have you had her eyes checked? That would be my first suggestion. But if she "has 20/20 vision", I'd look at the www.covd.org site to see if perhaps some of the things they mention there as symptoms might be things that describe her. She's old enough that most of the little peculiarities that are quite normal in younger children should have been outgrown by now (usually stated as age 7). So if she's still exhibiting things you see listed there, you should have her evaluated by a specialist, which you can locate by putting your zip code in a search box on that site. We ignored lots of little things in my son, thinking he was lazy or careless, when it was really a set of four specific vision processing problems, and therapy helped him immensely (he was 15yo by the time we realized it wasn't just lazy or careless).
Laurie

#38 Summer in KS

New Kid on the Block

• Full Forum Access
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Core IGs:
Core B Core F

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:18 AM

I don't always see eye-to-eye with Veronica, but I agree with her most of the time, and I often defer to her when it comes to her advice with the cores I didn't use (we began with core 3/D at my house - my youngest was 9yo at that time).

I agree with her assessment that you would probably find it easier to use core D with your 10.5yo, and core B with the 8yo. She gave some excellent reasons for that - and in reading her answer to you, I was nodding emphatically and anticipating the next thing she needed to say (she hit all the points I would have made myself, had she not already said them).

It would probably "work" for you to do core B+C with them both, and in fact that is why there is such a large selection of readers/LA for that core. But is "work"ing the ideal for you? Or do you wish to provide the "BEST"?

I don't think it would be the best. But I'm not living in your house with your children. I chose for mine, and you have the opportunity to choose for yours.

Things to think about when deciding where to place your oldest, which is the first decision I think you need to make -
If I go with (fill in the blank) core this year for my 10.5yo, what do we do next year when he's 11.5? What about the year he's 12.5? When he's 13.5? Now you are left with the years of 14.5, 15,5, 16.5 and 17.5 for high school - does that put you in the spot you wish to be in then? Will your choice for the years 10.5, 11.5, 12.5 and 13.5 give you enough time to have him ready for high school level work (not necessarily the 100's cores, and not necessarily ALL of those!)?

Once you have it settled as to what the best route is for him, THEN you can decide how to place your younger student. Maybe it will "work" to have her tag along for a year or two, doing her own level of most everything. Maybe she doesn't NEED "social studies" at all and you'd rather concentrate on the 4Rs (Reading, wRiting, aRithmetic and Religion) instead of adding in the extras (science, history, and other traditional things). Maybe you legally need to cover state history - and this might be a good year to do it for her while your son does core D. There are all sorts of options to consider besides doing one core for both children. But only YOU can decide what is best.

In fact, only you can decide who is the priority for getting the best. Is it YOU, the parent, needing to consolidate due to time constraints and obligations beyond homeschooling? Is it the older student, due to having fewer years left at home? Is it the younger student, who is lacking in basic skills and needs a less strenuous curriculum?

Beyond that, you even need to think about scheduling - are you stuck in a Sept-May calendar? Are you limited by a 9-3, M-F time slot? Can you cover some of the required material in non-traditional times, either during weeks when public schools are not in session or during the evenings and/or weekends? Are you willing to stagger your own obligations in such a way as to block your time out more efficiently for educating the children, or are you locked in to a certain time limit? Can you go at your own pace, or do you have an authority to whom you must report or who will evaluate annual "progress"? Are you able to do subjects faster (or more slowly) than one level per "school year"?

Finally, the "her reading is a little behind" thing. Reading skills are something that seem to advance in fits and spurts. Have you ever noticed that children seem to grow really fast at certain times, then they stay the same size in clothing for awhile, then they go really fast again for a bit and you can't buy a size they wear out before they outgrow it? Reading skills are like that, too. She may surprise you. Or maybe she needs some sort of intervention. Have you had her eyes checked? That would be my first suggestion. But if she "has 20/20 vision", I'd look at the www.covd.org site to see if perhaps some of the things they mention there as symptoms might be things that describe her. She's old enough that most of the little peculiarities that are quite normal in younger children should have been outgrown by now (usually stated as age 7). So if she's still exhibiting things you see listed there, you should have her evaluated by a specialist, which you can locate by putting your zip code in a search box on that site. We ignored lots of little things in my son, thinking he was lazy or careless, when it was really a set of four specific vision processing problems, and therapy helped him immensely (he was 15yo by the time we realized it wasn't just lazy or careless).

Thank you for your response. Thinking now I do not think my dd's reading is slow. I guess I just meant she wasn't ready for the Core D regular readers. I had her take sonlights reading placement and it placed her at the 3rd grade readers...which is perfect for her age (she is in 3rd grade). She does were glasses and has a pretty strong prescription. I probably need to get her back in to have it checked.

I didn't realize it at the time but I should have labeled this post, "Help me pick our Core". Haha...I was all set to do Core D. Well, I decided to go with B+C. I think it will be perfect for us this year (we homeschool year around). It was necessary for me to combine them this year due to finances, time, etc. I think they will both do great with this core though, and I got appropriate readers for both of them. I really don't see any reason that I cannot combine them. They IMO are the perfect age for combining, and are not that too far apart academically. My daughter may not be reading as high a level as my son, but I think with practice by the end of the year she will be. I know there are a lot of great read alouds that are missed in core B+C, but I plan to read several of those during our breaks, or if we finish another read aloud early. We have done some world history before so we really didn't need to go indepth this year, but it will be great to get a big picture overview before we move into American History next year.

Thank you all for your help.
2013-2014 Plans
J (3.5)
S (2)

#39 Building Up

Certified Encourager

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Sonlight Customer
Core IGs:
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 1 Language Arts 3 Language Arts 4-5 Language Arts D
Science IGs:
Science B Science C Science E Science F

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:38 PM

Thank you for your response. Thinking now I do not think my dd's reading is slow. I guess I just meant she wasn't ready for the Core D regular readers. I had her take sonlights reading placement and it placed her at the 3rd grade readers...which is perfect for her age (she is in 3rd grade). She does were glasses and has a pretty strong prescription. I probably need to get her back in to have it checked.

I didn't realize it at the time but I should have labeled this post, "Help me pick our Core". Haha...I was all set to do Core D. Well, I decided to go with B+C. I think it will be perfect for us this year (we homeschool year around). It was necessary for me to combine them this year due to finances, time, etc. I think they will both do great with this core though, and I got appropriate readers for both of them. I really don't see any reason that I cannot combine them. They IMO are the perfect age for combining, and are not that too far apart academically. My daughter may not be reading as high a level as my son, but I think with practice by the end of the year she will be. I know there are a lot of great read alouds that are missed in core B+C, but I plan to read several of those during our breaks, or if we finish another read aloud early. We have done some world history before so we really didn't need to go indepth this year, but it will be great to get a big picture overview before we move into American History next year.

Thank you all for your help.

I'm a little late to the table here, but I wanted to comment that I think your decision here makes sense! I would also suggest adding in a history book that is used in the separate Cores B and C - the Usborne Time Traveler. This is a wonderful book that I would hate to miss! Even if the kids just have it to look at and read on their own, I think it is a fabulous way to make the 4 cultures covered in it come alive.

Hope you enjoy SL this year!
~ Nancy
2013-2014 school year:
dd12 - Core E, Science F, Caesar's English 2, Writing With Skill, Singapore
ds10 - Core E, Science F, FLL 4, AAS 5, Singapore
ds7 - Core B, Science B, LA 2, AAS 2, HWT, Miquon

"A wise woman builds her home, but a foolish woman tears it down with her own hands." Proverbs 14:1

#40 Summer in KS

New Kid on the Block

• Full Forum Access
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Core IGs:
Core B Core F

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:37 PM

I'm a little late to the table here, but I wanted to comment that I think your decision here makes sense! I would also suggest adding in a history book that is used in the separate Cores B and C - the Usborne Time Traveler. This is a wonderful book that I would hate to miss! Even if the kids just have it to look at and read on their own, I think it is a fabulous way to make the 4 cultures covered in it come alive.

Hope you enjoy SL this year!

Thank you for the suggestion. Do you think it would be hard to me to figure out where things line up in the core and the Time Traveler book, so that I know what pages to read?

Thanks
2013-2014 Plans
J (3.5)
S (2)

#41 Building Up

Certified Encourager

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Sonlight Customer
Core IGs:
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 1 Language Arts 3 Language Arts 4-5 Language Arts D
Science IGs:
Science B Science C Science E Science F

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

Thank you for the suggestion. Do you think it would be hard to me to figure out where things line up in the core and the Time Traveler book, so that I know what pages to read?

Thanks

It would be very, very easy to do. The book's premise is that you are travelling back in time and it visits the most recent place first - so you will be reading it backwards to be in chronological order (as SL schedules it also). There is a section each on ancient Egypt, Romans, Vikings and Medieval Times. So you can just read those sections when you come to that era in your other books. SL schedules this book mostly as one 2-page spread at a time, but you could certainly read it faster.
~ Nancy
2013-2014 school year:
dd12 - Core E, Science F, Caesar's English 2, Writing With Skill, Singapore
ds10 - Core E, Science F, FLL 4, AAS 5, Singapore
ds7 - Core B, Science B, LA 2, AAS 2, HWT, Miquon

"A wise woman builds her home, but a foolish woman tears it down with her own hands." Proverbs 14:1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users