Sonlight Customer Classic Level Sonlighter Club
Core IGs:
Core D Core E Core G Core 100
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts D Language Arts G
Science IGs:
Science E Science F

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:15 PM

I have 3 kids (ages 8, 10 and 12). My kids are in public school but will begin homeschooling in January after their Christmas break. I have already ordered their Core packages but now, after reading several other posts, I am starting to panic that I've chosen wrong! I ordered Core D+E for my 8 year old because I figured we could do it slowly over the course of the next year-year and a half. I also thought that her older sister's might be able to use some of the American History from Core D+E before they moved on to Core G. My 8 year old is a great student but I would say she's an average reader. Will Cores D+E be too much for her??

#2 ZooRho

pot stirer

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,895 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 02:24 PM

What did you order for the older ones?

D+E is not a good core for a younger child. It goes way to fast and there is no reason to rush.

and actually the 2 seperate Am history cores would be good for your younger 2. if not all 3.

Rhoda at the Zoo

Hsing since 1995
dh O since 1985
S college graduate  boy 23

L swimming Senior Boy 18

#3 Cathedral Builder

Building 4 cathedrals for the glory of God

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,608 posts
  • Locationthe garden part of the Garden State

Sonlight Customer Heirloom Level Sonlighter Club
Core IGs:
Core P3/4 Core B Core C Core D
Core E Core F Core G Core H
Core 100 Core 200 Core 400
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 1 Language Arts 2 Language Arts 3 Language Arts 4-5
Language Arts D Language Arts E Language Arts F Language Arts G
Science IGs:
Science B Science C Science D Science F

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:50 PM

I have 3 kids (ages 8, 10 and 12). My kids are in public school but will begin homeschooling in January after their Christmas break. I have already ordered their Core packages but now, after reading several other posts, I am starting to panic that I've chosen wrong! I ordered Core D+E for my 8 year old because I figured we could do it slowly over the course of the next year-year and a half. I also thought that her older sister's might be able to use some of the American History from Core D+E before they moved on to Core G. My 8 year old is a great student but I would say she's an average reader. Will Cores D+E be too much for her??

I do think that Core D would be the best fit for her. A big part of the problem w/ D+E, in my opinion, is that there is a very good chance that she will not be ready for Core F in a year, year-and-a-half. But really, it is mostly about Core D being a good fit for an average reader, and also for her first year homeschooling. Now, if you want to figure out a way to work things so you don't have to do 3 different cores, I don't think it is the only way that things could work for you, (I have combined several different ways, and have not, to this point, attempted to give each of my kids "their own core") but if you are just looking at what would suit your 8yo, no I don't think D+E is a great idea.

~Stephanie

gallery_7015_136_415.jpg

Zahra, 14, my flower girl, simultaneously working on Core 100 and her doctorate in Younger Brother Management

Ethan, 12 (Mr. Man) and

Kian, 9 (Puppy) together for Core F while continuing to disagree as much as possible

Tristan, 6, zipping through life, and usually with a superhero cape flying behind him

#4 edonohue

New Kid on the Block

• Full Forum Access
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationPooler, Ga

Core IGs:
Language Arts IGs:
Science IGs:
Science E Science F

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for your advice. Maybe I should do the Core D portion of it over the next year and just take it slowly? She doesn't have to finish it all in one year- I am in no rush :) I ordered core G for my older girls. My oldest LOVES reading and my 10 year old is gifted so I thought maybe Core G would work for both of them.

#5 ZooRho

pot stirer

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,895 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:35 PM

Well sadly I'm no help on G, I have no idea what core that is any more.
okay whew that is like World history.

EEEK, where do you plan on going with them when you are done with that 2 years?
I'm not sure that was the best choice for the 2 older ones.

Rhoda at the Zoo

Hsing since 1995
dh O since 1985

L swimming Senior Boy 18

#6 Just Little Ol' Me

Sonlight user since 9/2002

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,806 posts
  • Locationempty nest

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:35 AM

Thanks for your advice. Maybe I should do the Core D portion of it over the next year and just take it slowly? She doesn't have to finish it all in one year- I am in no rush :) I ordered core G for my older girls. My oldest LOVES reading and my 10 year old is gifted so I thought maybe Core G would work for both of them.

My personal choices for your children, based ONLY on their ages, are these:

Age 8 - core B or B+C
Age 10 - core D or D+E
Age 12 - core F or G

I don't recommend you go higher for any of these children, and you can go lower without any problem. So while you could use D+E for both the older two, I don't recommend it for the 8yo AT ALL.
Laurie
When I speak of doing a core, I mean the 5-day plan in its entirety. I mean the child reading the reader, and the parent reading the rest, until cores 100+, where the child does it all, unless I specifically say otherwise. The views in this post are strictly mine (unless otherwise noted), and are colored by my experiences with my children. They may not apply to your situation at all, so take what seems to fit and use it, and disregard the rest.
My other "badges": Apologia General Science, Apologia Physical Science, Body by Design, Signs and Seasons; Math Singapore 2B-6B with IP and CWP, Saxon 54, 65, 76, 87, VideoText Algebra, Life of Fred Fractions - Geometry, Keys to Algebra.

#7 edonohue

New Kid on the Block

• Full Forum Access
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationPooler, Ga

Core IGs:
Language Arts IGs:
Science IGs:
Science E Science F

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:59 AM

Well, now I just don't know what to do. When I look at the reading for D+E, it looks way too easy for my 10 and 12 year olds. I don't know if it would challenge them enough (my 10 year old is almost 11 and is gifted). When I chose the cirriculum, I spoke with my friend that uses Sonlight and she said the D+E might be good for my 8 year old as long as I take it really slow (she LOVES to learn and gets excellent grades but is an average reader). Is it just too challenging for her age? I guess I'm seeking to understand why it's not one anyone suggests for her age. The grade 3 Core looked too easy to me (Core D alone) but, I have never really USED any of this. All I see are the books in front of me and it's really hard to figure out what's right. Initially, my plan was to do D+E with all 3 kids but to do it on a different pace for each of them. When the older kids finished D+E, I wanted to start them on G. However, when I got the books in front of my, I just couldn't imagine my older kids reading the books of Core D+E. I feel like there would be no challenge for them. Now i am worried that I have chosed all wrong for all 3 :(

#8 Just Little Ol' Me

Sonlight user since 9/2002

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,806 posts
  • Locationempty nest

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

Well, now I just don't know what to do. When I look at the reading for D+E, it looks way too easy for my 10 and 12 year olds. I don't know if it would challenge them enough (my 10 year old is almost 11 and is gifted). When I chose the cirriculum, I spoke with my friend that uses Sonlight and she said the D+E might be good for my 8 year old as long as I take it really slow (she LOVES to learn and gets excellent grades but is an average reader). Is it just too challenging for her age? I guess I'm seeking to understand why it's not one anyone suggests for her age. The grade 3 Core looked too easy to me (Core D alone) but, I have never really USED any of this. All I see are the books in front of me and it's really hard to figure out what's right. Initially, my plan was to do D+E with all 3 kids but to do it on a different pace for each of them. When the older kids finished D+E, I wanted to start them on G. However, when I got the books in front of my, I just couldn't imagine my older kids reading the books of Core D+E. I feel like there would be no challenge for them. Now i am worried that I have chosed all wrong for all 3 :(

I don't think that looking at the books included, or the reading difficulty level of those readers, is the best way to decide about ANY core for any child. In my view, we want the books to be on the "slightly easy" side for reading level, because the point here is not to increase or challenge the reading ability, but to ensure comprehension of the books. In cores D and above, the "readers" as well as the other books are solidly "read to learn" books - they are not "learn to read" books.

Trust me, <I> learned a lot from core D...and I had nothing BUT "American history" in public school and then I had another year of it in college. I was a straight-A student all those years (though I probably got a B in college because I had no idea how to study and thought, being 18yo and so very wise...ahem...that I knew it all, already). I'm not the only one here to report that the parent learns a lot from these cores! So if I can learn from core D, I think that your 10yo and even your 12yo can, too. Gifted or not, it is possible.

As for why you're not getting a ton of support for using core D+E, or even core D, for your 8yo, it really has nothing to do with reading level. It is all about maturity. Most of us who are trying to dissuade you from that have experience with our own children in that core, both older and younger. We know which ones did fine, which ones did best, and which ones really couldn't handle core D. My 11yo did fine. My 13yo did great, and did it faster than the IG speed. My 9yo suffered, both from the workload demands (we had to slow it down) and from the imagery (nightmares from one book that I know of...who knows what else that I don't know of).

I rarely recommend core D+E (or any of the other condensed cores). When I do, it is in dire circumstances where there is an absolute need for that subject matter but also no other way to work around the issue due to time constraints. If at all possible, I feel the two-year versions of those subjects are the far better choice.

What I would do in your case, since you seem to own core D+E right now, is this: Get the extra books for core D, and the IG for core D (used if you must, new if you can) and have the 12yo do it at the rate of 7-8 IG days per week. That will give her challenge in the workload department, but she can still benefit from the more in-depth material (as opposed to the condensed core, which leaves out so much great stuff). Use core D as is for the 10yo, but if that seems too easy, do it a bit faster - maybe 6 IG days per week. For the 8yo, seriously, I think you'd be FAR better off to have her do a lower core.
Laurie
When I speak of doing a core, I mean the 5-day plan in its entirety. I mean the child reading the reader, and the parent reading the rest, until cores 100+, where the child does it all, unless I specifically say otherwise. The views in this post are strictly mine (unless otherwise noted), and are colored by my experiences with my children. They may not apply to your situation at all, so take what seems to fit and use it, and disregard the rest.
My other "badges": Apologia General Science, Apologia Physical Science, Body by Design, Signs and Seasons; Math Singapore 2B-6B with IP and CWP, Saxon 54, 65, 76, 87, VideoText Algebra, Life of Fred Fractions - Geometry, Keys to Algebra.

#9 edonohue

New Kid on the Block

• Full Forum Access
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationPooler, Ga

Core IGs:
Language Arts IGs:
Science IGs:
Science E Science F

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:32 AM

Laurie- That makes a lot of sense. I will look into ordering her the rest of the Core D books and Instructor Guide. Thank you all so much for your advice. I want to do what's best for my kids but, being new to all of this makes it very overwhelming. Advice from mother's who have been doing it for years helps so much.

#10 placeofgrace

Registered User, after 30 days

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Sonlight Customer Core Level Sonlighter Club
Core IGs:
Core D Core E Core F Core G
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts D Language Arts F
Science IGs:
Science D Science E Science F Science G

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:35 AM

I was in your shoes a few years ago. I started homeschooling my son when he was 8. I bought core 3/D. He had no trouble reading the books. It was the content. It was a lot of info. and I don't feel like he really got a lot out of it. I wish I had started him with core B/C. When he was 9, he went to private school and then when he was 10 we homeschooled again. When he was 10, we did core 4/E. It was a much better fit. He is 11 now and we are doing core 5/F. (By the way, my son is an excellent reader. Like someone else said, I wouldn't pick a core based on reading level. I would be more concerned about content.) Knowing what I know now, I would get B/C for your 8 year old and possibly core D/E for your older two. The great thing about Sonlight is they have an awesome return policy. You can try the curriculum out for a while, 18 weeks I believe, and if it doesn't work, exchange it for a different core.

Good Luck!
Thanks,
Nicole

:gamer: Ds 13 "the man in my life" 2013-2014 SOTW 3&4, TT Pre-algebra, Rainbow Science Year 1, Kid coder, Cover Story, Various literature studies, Easy Grammar Plus, Wordly Wise Book 7 (online), Atelier Art and other stuff

#11 texasmomtothree

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Sonlight Customer Heirloom Level Sonlighter Club
Core IGs:
Core P3/4 Core A Core B Core D
Core E Core F Core G Core H
Core 100
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1 Language Arts 2 Language Arts D
Language Arts E
Science IGs:
Science A Science D Science E

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:36 PM

I'll throw out another scenario for you to consider. If you can return Core D/E, If it were me I would have my 8 yo do Core B/C while the older 2 did Core G. Core G would be perfect for your oldest and not too difficult for middle especially if she is bright. There are some more mature themes in Cores G and H but coming out of public school I doubt it's anything she hasn't already heard. After Cores G and H she can always do Core F while the older goes on to Core 100.

Wife to David and mom to 3 children:
2013-2014 School Year
David (14) : Oak Meadow World Geography, IEW Intro. to Literary Analysis, Core 200 Literature, Analytical Grammar, Apologia Physical Science, TT Algebra 2/Geometry, Intro. to Programming, Web Design
Emma (12) : Core G, IEW Ancient History, Apologia General Science, TT Math 7, AAS 6
Daniel (9): Core D, Diamond Notes, Singapore Math 3, AAS 3, Science in the Beginning

#12 ZooRho

pot stirer

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,895 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:18 PM

I am with Laurie on this stuff.
and agreeing that if you bought it from SL I'd check about returning and getting what is right for you children.

I also agree that reading level is not what to look at for the core choice. There is so much more that goes on with the Cores than the reading. And for you looking forward to what you will do in the future especially for you older ones is a must, because in 2 years what will you do?

Rhoda at the Zoo

Hsing since 1995
dh O since 1985

L swimming Senior Boy 18

#13 edonohue

New Kid on the Block

• Full Forum Access
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationPooler, Ga

Core IGs:
Language Arts IGs:
Science IGs:
Science E Science F

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:40 PM

I am going to go ahead and have my older 2 go through Core D+E. Talking with my oldest daughter, I realize there is a huge gap in her knowledge of American History. So, she and my 10 year old will do Core D+E but I will probably speed up the pace in which they go through it all. I went ahead and ordered the IG for Core D and the rest of the books I need for it. I will start my 8 year old on this Core and, if it doesn't work, we will re-evaluate. One of the big reasons I went with Sonlight is their excellent return policy. It certainly eases my mind to know I can always return anything that isn't working for my girls. Thanks again for all the advice!

#14 ZooRho

pot stirer

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,895 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:56 PM

I think they will love it. Also while you may have a desire to rush Don't feel that way. I learned so much about Am History that I was clueless about and I actually liked history growing up.

So you may be able to go quicker and that is good, but don't be in a rush just to do it and finish but enjoy that they are learning this stuff too.

Rhoda at the Zoo

Hsing since 1995
dh O since 1985

L swimming Senior Boy 18

#15 gracyomalley

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:06 AM

We did core D with a gifted 7 turning 8 year old and a gifted but dyslexic 9 turning 10 year old. We did the advanced readers for both kids, which fleshed out the issue of the easier readers, and found the material meaty! My then 8 year old was reading at a high school level, by the way...but her older brother got MUCH MORE out of the core than she.

It was even more so in Core E. which we are presently slogging through the end of - not slogging because its not great, but because if we rush it, they don't learn nearly as much. They are now 9 and 11. We have taken the time to watch Ken Burns Civil War series, and other rabbit trails which has made the material even more meaty. The readers in this portion are solidly 4-6 grade, and good stories. The coverage of the World Wars could easily be a middle school class, add the Diary of Ann Frank or other classics, and you would easily challenge a 12/13 year old.

I have had a hard time doing these cores in a calender year, whereas the earlier cores that I do with my youngest get done easily despite 3 kids who are series musicians and gymnasts...and a mom who works. I just can't see the SL experience that we have had coming from a condensed core.

I also think you youngest will really benefit from read alouds and history with the olders - the discussions will be much more interesting if you do those together. I personally would do D then E, as fast as fits the family, add a bunch of higher level library books for the oldest and maximize the reports, etc that are included in the Core (ie 8 year old does 3 paragraphs, older kids 3 pages with research, etc...). Math, spelling, LA, Science at individual levels for each kid.

I wouldn't do this if you plan on doing SL and only SL from here on out....but I LOVE SL for American history....and have found with homeschooling that planning more than a few years ahead is an exercise that allow fun, gets me no where, as so much changes....

The other choice would be the youngers do D then E (I wouldn't hesitate AT ALL to do it with your middle - just beef it up...) and the older does Core 100 - so you can at least be doing similar time periods together....and many say 100 is light for 9th grade...
Erin

#16 MomtoL,A,O,C

Enjoying my old store turned house

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,180 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Sonlight Customer
Core IGs:
Core B Core C Core D
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 1 Language Arts 2 Language Arts D
Science IGs:
Science B Science C Science D

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:01 AM

I as an adult am thoroughly enjoying 3/D so I would have no problem putting 11-12 yo into the core. One can always add more to the core to boost it up more.

I right now have 7,9, and almost 12 yo doing core 3/D. The 7 just listens mostly but then she not reading yet....... so that changes what she needs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users