• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tracic

New Kid on the Block

• Registered After 30
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:12 AM

So I am about to start Core B+C with my 10 1/2 year old. We are first time Sonlight users, and have decided to start with B+C, not by choice, but because it was given to us. I would love to split it apart and do B and C individually, but cannot put any money into doing that right now. So B+C it is, and we'll slow down if we feel it's necessary.

I know that Sonlight does not offer a lot in the way of hands on activities, no big deal, but my DD does enjoy hands on...even just coloring pages. Any reccomendations for this Core?
I did order History Pockets (Ancient Civilizations) for some added fun, and some Dover coloring books. Any other ideas?

#2 Xzavan

Counting my blessings, one by one

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,616 posts
  • LocationWandering Around

Sonlight Customer Heirloom Level Sonlighter Club
Core IGs:
Core P4/5 Core A Core B Core C
Core D
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1 Language Arts 3 Language Arts D
Science IGs:
Science C Science D

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:47 AM

First I would recommend the TIPS CD from Sonlight. http://www.sonlight.com/BCCD.html

Also, Handle on the Arts has a "year 1" which goes with the first half (Core B) stuff and "year 2" which goes with the second half (Core C) stuff. http://www.handleont...-1-c-24_25.html

http://www.handleont...-2-c-24_26.html You can do just the hands-on-history, or as much as you like.

In addition to that, some people like the Story of the World Activity books for this, you can get the level 1 and 2, or all 4 levels. Level 1 and 2 will take you through 90% of the core. http://www.amazon.co...25184419&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co...25184419&sr=8-3

You do not need the Story of the World books to use the activity books, although they might be very helpful. :)

Veronica, Wife to the Best Pastor in the World

Mother to: Vaneza, 13; Xzavier, 10; Zacarayah, 8; Eliza Beth, 7; Hozannah, 2, and Keziah, 1;

Remember that it took it a group of professionals to build the 

Titanic, but a lone amateur built the Ark.

gallery_6207_222_42224.png

#3 tracic

New Kid on the Block

• Registered After 30
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:05 PM

Thank you VERY much! This information is so helpful, I really appreciate your time!

#4 tracic

New Kid on the Block

• Registered After 30
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:06 PM

I have an older edition of 1+2 before the tips CD came out - I am going to order that today!

#5 tracic

New Kid on the Block

• Registered After 30
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:13 PM

For those of you who have used these supplements ... would you prefer the Handle on the Hearts or Story Of the World activities? I would only be able to purchase one set, but without being able to really see them I'm not sure which one I'd like better.

#6 Xzavan

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,616 posts

Core IGs:
Core D
Language Arts IGs:
Science IGs:
Science C Science D

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:16 PM

For those of you who have used these supplements ... would you prefer the Handle on the Hearts or Story Of the World activities? I would only be able to purchase one set, but without being able to really see them I'm not sure which one I'd like better.

Story of the World.

Handle on the arts is OK, but SOTW comes with more projects, and other things like narration exercises, discussion questions, and recommended extra read-alouds and readers to go with the history, so you can pick and choose between hands-on activities and books and whatever you want.

Mother to: Vaneza, 13; Xzavier, 10; Zacarayah, 8; Eliza Beth, 7; Hozannah, 2, and Keziah, 1;

#7 Xzavan

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,616 posts

Core IGs:
Core D
Language Arts IGs:
Science IGs:
Science C Science D

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

Oh, and it has coloring pages. :)

#8 tracic

New Kid on the Block

• Registered After 30
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:56 PM

Thanks! I like SOTW, and if I'm not mistaken I actually have SOTW 1 (the reader) around here somewhere. One of those purchases, I haven't used yet. :) I'll try level 1 to get us started, and will wait on the activities for level 2 until we know for sure we like them!
Thanks for the recommendations!

#9 Hunny

Certified Encourager

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts
  • LocationHillsborough, NH

Sonlight Customer Classic Level Sonlighter Club
Core IGs:
Core P3/4 Core P4/5 Core A Core D
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1 Language Arts 2 Language Arts 3
Language Arts 4-5
Science IGs:
Science B Science C Science D Science F

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:30 PM

SOTW also has map activities. Vol. 1 goes well with B and Vol. 2 with C. I really like the map activities and some of the hands on activities. We have also done a lot of the History Pockets projects. Instead of making the pockets I buy pocket folders and three-hole punch them to put into a binder.

Tracy ~mom to three wonderful, energetic boys~
DS13: Core D+E with Readers, Science F, MUS Delta, EIW 7, MCP Spelling E, Word Study E, Comp. Plus E, VCR 5, WW5
DS10: Core D, LA D & Readers Adv., Apologia Astronomy, RightStart C, MCP Spelling C, Phonics C, Comp. Plus C, HWT3, WW3, FLL 3
DS6: Core P4/5 & A, DEL 4, LA & Readers K, Science A, RightStart A & MUS Primer, HWT K, Scaredy Cat Vowels, Sight Words K
Outside Activities: tae kwon do and co-op (art, engineering, broadcasting, drama, music, astronomy)
IGs bought used: Core B, Core C, Core D+E, Science K & A, Science E

#10 tracic

New Kid on the Block

• Registered After 30
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:49 PM

I ordered the History Pockets: Ancient Civilizations. Are there any others that would work for B+C?

Also (hunny) do you buy a pocket folder for each pocket? Or a pocket folder for each entire book of pockets?

#11 Xzavan

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,616 posts

Core IGs:
Core D
Language Arts IGs:
Science IGs:
Science C Science D

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:29 PM

I ordered the History Pockets: Ancient Civilizations. Are there any others that would work for B+C?

Also (hunny) do you buy a pocket folder for each pocket? Or a pocket folder for each entire book of pockets?

Ancient Civilizations is what we used. There are others that are for the same time periods, but they really do better with older children (I'd say at least 9 and up).

We do one pocket, per pocket. :) They really do have several things, and it gets nice by the time you get to 7 paper dolls to remember which one goes with which, instead of having one big pocket with several different civiliizations in it.

#12 tracic

New Kid on the Block

• Registered After 30
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:49 PM

That makes sense about the pockets. I just got the book in the mail, and need to really look at it more in depth. I also went ahead and ordered the SOTW book 1. Should have it next week! :) We're getting started in January - odd time to start I guess, but we school year round and it just worked out that we are finally ready for it. I cannot wait to get started as I've daydreamed over the Sonlight catalog for ...oh I'd say...9 years! :)

#13 Xzavan

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,616 posts

Core IGs:
Core D
Language Arts IGs:
Science IGs:
Science C Science D

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:08 PM

That makes sense about the pockets. I just got the book in the mail, and need to really look at it more in depth. I also went ahead and ordered the SOTW book 1. Should have it next week! :) We're getting started in January - odd time to start I guess, but we school year round and it just worked out that we are finally ready for it. I cannot wait to get started as I've daydreamed over the Sonlight catalog for ...oh I'd say...9 years! :)

We're going to start Core D probably in February, so I don't think you are the least bit weird. I've started cores in June before. :)

I hope you love it as much as we do. :D

#14 tracic

New Kid on the Block

• Registered After 30
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:51 PM

Good to know I'm not the only one! :)

We're going to start Core D probably in February, so I don't think you are the least bit weird. I've started cores in June before. :)

I hope you love it as much as we do. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users