• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 tuggerlou

New Kid on the Block

• Registered After 30
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

I just cannot afford to order our Core before next fall. At that point my daughter will be almost 8 1/2. Is that too old to begin Core B? Should I do Core B/C instead? She has had no history at all so I dont really want to skim through it. Thanks.

#2 Debbie in Bailey

Sonlighting since 4/2000

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,104 posts

Sonlight Customer Heirloom Level Sonlighter Club
Core IGs:
Core P4/5 Core A Core B Core C
Core D Core E Core F Core G
Core H Core 100 Core 200 Core 300
Core 400
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1 Language Arts 2 Language Arts 4-5
Language Arts D Language Arts E Language Arts F Language Arts G
Science IGs:
Science A Science B Science C Science D
Science E Science F Science G

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:41 AM

I'm editing this because my brain is not working yet this morning (obviously not enough coffee yet :)) and I called various Cores the wrong names.

No, she's not too old. It sounds like she's about 3rd grade (by age). That's fine for doing Core B or Core B+C.

3rd grade is also okay for using Core B. I used Core B with a 3rd grader who was closer to 9yo than 8yo by the start of his third grade year. He did Core C in 4th grade and Core D as a 5th grader. . . he's turning 16yo tomorrow.

Edited by Debbie in Bailey, 11 January 2012 - 07:43 AM.

post-66-0-78276000-1325282173.gif post-66-0-18288200-1325282192.gif post-66-0-45955400-1325282220.gif
2013 - 2014 School Year
18yo Ds - Core 400 History and dual enrollment Modern Physics and Advanced Probability and Statistics - competitive swimming, math tutor, lifeguard
15yo Ds - Core 300/LA 200, Apologia Biology, Thinkwell Calculus, Computer Science 2, Spanish 2, a dual enrollment class - competitive swimming and diving, tap dancing, ballet, speed cubing, slight-of-hand. . .
12yo Dd - Core G, LA G, General Science, Art Appreciation, NEM2, Vocabulary Vine - Ballet and Lyrical dance, local youth ballet.

20 yo Ds - 2010 Homeschool Graduate, Navy - Petty Officer 3rd Class, running the reactor on the USS Florida (SSGN-728), and engaged :scare:to be married May, 2014! 

#3 elilillie

Crossway Academy

• Registered After 30
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Locationbetween here and there

Sonlight Customer Classic Level Sonlighter Club
Core IGs:
Core A Core C
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1
Science IGs:
Science A Science B Science C

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:41 AM

DS is 8, we are working our way through slowly core B slowly. I have core C on the shelf waiting, but because of other things he is behind in, we are working at a really slow pace.

I think 8 is a good age for starting this core. We actually started when is was 7 and he got little enjoyment out of it. Now he loves it. 8 is the upper age range for this core and many think it is better to be on the upper end rather than the lower end of the age range.
Sharon

Married 11 years
Eli-9
Lillie-6

Core P4/5 borrowed, Core B used, Core C
Posted Image

#4 alantschool

Miracle Mom

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Core IGs:
Core P3/4 Core P4/5 Core A Core B
Core C Core D Core E Core F
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1 Language Arts 2 Language Arts D
Language Arts E
Science IGs:
Science A Science C Science D Science E
Science F Science G

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:35 AM

No, she is definitely not too old. I did Core B with my 10yo son, and Core C when he was 11yo. He got way more out of it than when we did the Core B+C when he was only 7-8.
It also gave us more time to do extra research on some of the topics. It was a good choice for us.

Married to my hero for 17 years.
Counting my blessings: Johan (13), Gerhard (11), Renate (8, Hannah (6).
Those already waiting for us in heaven: '98, '99, '03, '04.
gallery_25188_351_18550.jpg

#5 Just Little Ol' Me

Sonlight user since 9/2002

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,806 posts
  • Locationempty nest

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:47 AM

I just cannot afford to order our Core before next fall. At that point my daughter will be almost 8 1/2. Is that too old to begin Core B? Should I do Core B/C instead? She has had no history at all so I dont really want to skim through it. Thanks.

I don't think she will be too old.

But if YOU do, it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks. So if you're wanting to start now, here are some ideas.

Buy the IG now, and see what books you can obtain elsewhere. Maybe you have a library which stocks most of them, and you can find the rest used online. Maybe you can find a local person who owns the books and will allow you to borrow them. Maybe you can find them at a used curriculum sale in May (many support groups hold these sales at the end of the school year).

Buy the IG now, and purchase the books which are used in the first twelve weeks now. Then you can start earlier - and by the time you're ready for the next twelve weeks' worth, you can perhaps sell some of what you're done with (some people have a hard time selling their books, because they just can't part with them) to help fund the purchase of the next set.

See if you can buy the whole core used. I don't like this option much myself, because I think there is a lot of risk in buying used IGs - a random page may be missing and that can be anything from mildly frustrating to nearly disastrous. It also doesn't support Sonlight at all, and doesn't get you "free" forum access like buying a new IG does. But if that is what you must do to start now, that is what you must do.

In the meantime, you can suggest to anybody who has occasion to present you or your child with a gift, that a Sonlight Gift Certificate would be most appreciated...or purchase them yourself to keep from spending the money before you've saved it all up for a full core.

But truly, age 8 is not too old for Core B. If you find it is too light for her, speed it up some (do six columns of assignments in a five day week?) to give her more to do on a daily basis. There are other ways to make up time, too, if you think starting here will be too low for the future sequence of cores. But I don't think it is - very few of us do ALL the cores, even though it is a nice thing to have that plan on paper!
Laurie
When I speak of doing a core, I mean the 5-day plan in its entirety. I mean the child reading the reader, and the parent reading the rest, until cores 100+, where the child does it all, unless I specifically say otherwise. The views in this post are strictly mine (unless otherwise noted), and are colored by my experiences with my children. They may not apply to your situation at all, so take what seems to fit and use it, and disregard the rest.
My other "badges": Apologia General Science, Apologia Physical Science, Body by Design, Signs and Seasons; Math Singapore 2B-6B with IP and CWP, Saxon 54, 65, 76, 87, VideoText Algebra, Life of Fred Fractions - Geometry, Keys to Algebra.

#6 Robin E.

Fantastic!

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,715 posts
  • LocationYuma, AZ

Core IGs:
Core G Core H Core 100 Core 300
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1 Language Arts 2 Language Arts 4-5
Science IGs:
Science A Science B Science C Science F

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:59 AM

My oldest was within just a month and a half from his 9th birthday when we started Core B, and it was a wonderful school year. I don't think 8 is too old for Core B at all. Hey, my current 9 yo (8 when we started) is doing Core B now. My just-turned-7 yo still is ready for many of the Core B books.

Siggie.jpg
Mama bird to Caleb (17), Lily (15Happy Birthday!), Jude (11), Hoyt (9), and Belle (7).
Using Cores 100 and D; Sonlight's LA 100 and D; Brave Writer's The Writer's Jungle; All About Reading level 1; All About Spelling books 4 and 2; Handwriting Without Tears 3 (x2); Daily Grammar; Apologia Physics, Physical Science, and Biology; Life of Fred Trigonometry and Beginning Algebra; Singapore Primary Math 4A and 3B, Challenging Word Problems 3 (x2); Miquon Math Green; Time Travelers Colonial Life; and a few dozen other miscellaneous things.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” ~ Albert Einstein

#7 jen_mom73

Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be broken.

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Core IGs:
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1 Language Arts 2 Language Arts 3
Science IGs:
Science A Science B Science C

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:06 AM

My boys had just turned 6 and 8 when we started Core B. It was a good fit for my oldest, and a little too advanced for my 6yo. Personally, I wouldn't recommend B/C because Core B is packed with info as it is. But, of course, you'll have to decide what fits best for your family. ;)

Hope this helps!
Jennifer

SingerWife to SkaterMusician since 1997
Mom to LogicalSlapstick-8/02, TenderHeart-8/04, and SuperCutiePrincess-5/07

Currently using: Mystery of History 1, BJU Press Science 4, LLATL for 3rd & 5th grades,
TT Math 3rd & 4th, Horizons Math K, Sonlight LA-K.

Posted Image

#8 Hunny

Certified Encourager

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts
  • LocationHillsborough, NH

Core IGs:
Core P3/4 Core P4/5 Core A Core D
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 4-5
Science IGs:
Science B Science C Science D Science F

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:13 AM

I am currently doing Core B with both ds8 and ds10. I think you would do well to start with B for your child.

Tracy ~mom to three wonderful, energetic boys~
DS13: Core D+E with Readers, Science F, MUS Delta, EIW 7, MCP Spelling E, Word Study E, Comp. Plus E, VCR 5, WW5
DS10: Core D, LA D & Readers Adv., Apologia Astronomy, RightStart C, MCP Spelling C, Phonics C, Comp. Plus C, HWT3, WW3, FLL 3
DS6: Core P4/5 & A, DEL 4, LA & Readers K, Science A, RightStart A & MUS Primer, HWT K, Scaredy Cat Vowels, Sight Words K
Outside Activities: tae kwon do and co-op (art, engineering, broadcasting, drama, music, astronomy)
IGs bought used: Core B, Core C, Core D+E, Science K & A, Science E

#9 Xzavan

Counting my blessings, one by one

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,623 posts
  • LocationWandering Around

Core IGs:
Core D
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1 Language Arts 3 Language Arts D
Science IGs:
Science C Science D

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:09 PM

I don't think it is too old, but I did the core with a 6/7 and a 9/10 year old.

Veronica, Wife to the Best Pastor in the World

Mother to: Vaneza, 13; Xzavier, 10; Zacarayah, 8; Eliza Beth, 7; Hozannah, 2, and Keziah, 1;

Remember that it took it a group of professionals to build the 

Titanic, but a lone amateur built the Ark.

gallery_6207_222_42224.png

#10 trio

Making Friends

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Core IGs:
Core B Core C
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 2 Language Arts 3

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:10 PM

I agree with everyone, we started with my 8 year old and he turned 9- 2 months after we started and he loves history, so I think for him (average learner) it is just the right amount for him, enough to grab on and enjoy and not too much to overwhelm him! ;)
Other SL curriculum used:
SL Core D meshed with WP American Crossing (parts)
SL LA 4/5
SL Science C

#11 Jackie in Australia

He will quiet you with His love

• Registered After 30
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA

Core IGs:
Core P3/4 Core P4/5 Core B
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 1
Science IGs:
Science C

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:51 PM

I'm using Core B for my two this year, and I'm thinking it'll be a perfect fit for my 8.5 yo dd.
Jackie

DD 9: public school, halfway to orange belt in karate, Girl Guide
DD 8: at home, using Sonlight core & readers, Apples & Pears, Dancing Bears, Math-U-See, Telling God's Story, Robert Winston's Science Experiments, outsourcing Design & Technology, drums, ballet

#12 SunshineCrush

Used to be: SLhsnsahm

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationElk Grove, Ca

Core IGs:
Core G Core H Core 100
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 4-5 Language Arts D Language Arts E Language Arts F
Language Arts G
Science IGs:
Science A Science B Science C Science E
Science F

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

I am doing Core B with my DD 8 and DS 7 and it is perfect!! They are really getting a lot out of it at an older age. DS 12 did this Core when he was 9/10 b/c he couldn't read fluently and so we did this Core then Core C (after I started doing Core B+C b/c I freaked out with his age...I ended up back tracking and adding in everything.) He got A TON out of it! I did many projects with older ds too like newspaper stories he wrote up and "delivered"...he dressed up in character...I printed out pictures of money or buildings, swords, armor and he made a collage notebook with them coloring them in. We added to it and it was really rich!! He got a lot more out of it. So, now I tend to think the upper end of the age range is best for each Core.

ETA: DD 8 is going to be 9 in March.

Edited by SunshineCrush, 11 January 2012 - 07:35 PM.

Kara aka "Sunshine" married to my childhood Crush John!
Momma to 4..hoping/praying/BELIEVING for more!(Jer. 29:11)Believing this soon..God told me to pray for "rain"!!
DD15 Homescholing independently~Pre-Pointe Ballet 2x week!
DS14 Next: Core 100 w/ AO Lifepac American History 11th grade, Core 400 Lit, Review and reading with youngers history
DD11 Next: Core D (old version)
DS9  Next: Core D (old version)  (Also a family friend/roommate & his son who goes to PS)
1 Leopard Gecko: (Isaac), 1 frog, 2 cats: (Toffy, Maple, (And now a dog & cat from roommate)
*I like my kids being on the older side of Cores. I feel they get more out of it and they can work on other areas without it being too hard. I keep reminding myself it is not a race, and I want my kids to remember for the long haul, not push...push...push... forget!
Working with mountains of laundry, teaching, and cooking homemade (by necessity not by choice) with our many allergies to wheat (all of us), flax (me), coconut (hubby), nuts (hubby), soy (some of us), milk (can have RAW), corn (can have white corn), and eggs (some of us)! gf=gluten free and hm= homemade

#13 Jennifer in AZ

ruled by my antiquity

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,563 posts
  • LocationI can’t see the future but I know it’s comin’ fast

Core IGs:
Core A Core B Core C Core D
Core E
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 2 Language Arts D
Science IGs:
Science A Science B Science D Science E

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:03 PM

Nope. B should be a good fit, IMO.

Mom to Luther, newly 16yo. Where did the time go?!?! Howard almost 14; and Kate soon to be 12 : all going to really bad public schools per their father's wishes & court orders.

#14 Colleen

Schlemiel, schlemazel, hasenpfeffer incorporated

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,957 posts
  • LocationSki to Sea Nirvana

Core IGs:
Core D Core E Core F Core G
Core H Core 100 Core 300
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 1 Language Arts 2 Language Arts 3 Language Arts 4-5
Science IGs:
Science A Science B Science D Science E
Science F Science G

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

I'm always the minority opinion in these conversations. I consider 8 1/2 rather old for Core B and unless you have other, younger children who need to use that level, I recommend against it. But it sounds like you've essentially made your decision, and most people who use SL will give you the go-ahead. In the grand scheme of things it won't matter one way or another. : )

Cheers,
Colleen ~ in Ski to Sea Nirvana with Hans, the Swiss dairyman, and the band of brothers: Jan (18), Per (16), Luke (14), Rafe (11), and Kai (9)
OV_FO_4clr_sm.jpg

#15 lbakos

New Kid on the Block

• Registered After 30
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Sonlight Customer Core Level Sonlighter Club
Core IGs:
Core P4/5 Core B
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 2
Science IGs:
Science B

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

My 8yo (technically 81/2) is currently using Core B as well. I wanted a strong foundation in world history so I chose Core B instead of B+C. I'm glad I did. It's working out great.
-L
Mom to:
DD (8) Core B, FLL 3, WWE 3, SW C, HWT 3, Science B, MUS Beta
DS (5) Core P4/5, OPGTR, LA K, ETC 2, HWT 2, MUS Primer

#16 lbakos

New Kid on the Block

• Registered After 30
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Core IGs:
Core P4/5 Core B
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 2
Science IGs:
Science B

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:44 PM

And also, SL recommends 6,7 or 8 yo for Core B.
-L
Mom to:
DD (8) Core B, FLL 3, WWE 3, SW C, HWT 3, Science B, MUS Beta
DS (5) Core P4/5, OPGTR, LA K, ETC 2, HWT 2, MUS Primer

#17 joyoustxmama

Registered User, after 30 days

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Oklahoma

Core IGs:
Core P3/4

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:01 PM

I am actually planning on using ALL the history cores at the mid- upper end of the age ranges. I decided to do that when I checked out or borrowed a number of SL books when I was still trying to decide if I wanted to use the curriculum a couple years ago. I personally remember much more of a book's content when reading below my level than when pushing myself (and was that way as a kid, too). And the SL books are incredible at every level. Granted I am a science nerd with a terribly weak history/literature background, but still, I was learning TONS of stuff from the books in cores B, C, E etc... So my personal opinion is that I think your eight year old child could really enjoy, and learn tons from, core B. And you can always add more if she wants more :).

Edited by joyoustxmama, 12 January 2012 - 09:03 PM.

My peek-a-boo cutie. He's growing up too fast.

Posted Image

I'm KG, wife to B, mom to JW (10/08) beginning SL P3/4, Big Picture Storybook Bible, and Kumon/I Can workbooks in January 2012.

#18 Joyride

• Full Forum Access
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Sonlight Customer
Core IGs:
Core B Core D
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 2 Language Arts D
Science IGs:
Science D

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:23 PM

Hi tuggerlou, I would agree that reading and working at an easier level makes for good progress. I did core D with my nearly-nine year old, and then went back to Core B as a ten year old, because we didn't want to miss out on the history. It's all good and he enjoyed the learning. I would encourage you to use the resources that you have. Sounds like you have just the right thing for now.

I noticed your profile, Jennifer in AZ, and I'm praying for you. It is hard being a single mum, but be encouraged, God will keep you. Keep praying, and keep in touch with people. God bless and provide for you.

Edited by Joyride, 13 January 2012 - 03:38 AM.

#19 Lightly Salted

Deo Volente

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,959 posts

Core IGs:
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1
Science IGs:
Science A

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

And also, SL recommends 6,7 or 8 yo for Core B.

This

I used it with mine last year when they were 6 and 8. Both enjoyed it, but my 8 year old appreciated and understood more. You could also use B+C, of course, but I wouldn't want to condense either, unless I added in the books from the separate cores that were left out. I hope you enjoy Sonlight, whatever core you choose!
Amy & DH ~ DD (11) DS (10) ~ Core D
image-M.jpg
."Many are the plans in the mind of a man,
but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand."

(Proverbs 19:21 ESV)

#20 CroppinIt

Hobbit at heart

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,557 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

My youngest was 5 or 6 (ish?) when we started core B the first time around (for my olders). He got little to nothing out of it. This time around, he was 8 when we started and the difference is astonishing. I'm so glad I decided to go through them again for him. For the record, my olders enjoy listening in to the core again, too -- with pretty much every new book I bring out, one of them tells their little brother, "Oh, you're going to love this one!"

Crista
Married to my soulmate 18 years
Mom to:
Dd14: third degree black belt and assistant instructor, craft-o-holic
Ds11: second degree black belt, horse whisperer, chess master in training
Ds10: first degree black belt, yes you have to get off the wii !

#21 heartofjoy

Assign Positive Intent

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Core IGs:
Core C Core F Core G
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 1 Language Arts 2 Language Arts 3 Language Arts 4-5
Science IGs:
Science F

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:48 PM

I'm on my second round of Core B with an 8 year old. It's great!

Also, Sonlight will start offering longer time payments in April. You can stretch your payments out for 6 or 9 months. Right now you can do 3 months.

Desiree, mom to five children, ages 14, 12, 10, 9, 7
Cores Used: PK 3/4, PK 4/5, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, W, Science Used: A, B, C, D, F, H, 100
dd14 9th - One Year Adventure Novel, Apologia Physical Science (at local one-day school), World Geography (co-op), Drama (co-op), Speech/Debate (co-op) MUS Algebra I (home), Volleyball/Track/PE
ds12 7th - Core G, Apologia General Science, LA G, MUS PreA, Robotics (co-op), Art (co-op), Baseball
dd10 5th - SOTW 2, Science?, LA 4/5, MUS Gamma/Delta
dd9 3rd - SOTW 2, Science?, LA 1, MUS Beta
ds7 1st - Core PK 4/5 moving to K, LA 1, MUS Alpha

#22 happyhomeschooler

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,927 posts
  • LocationCanada

Core IGs:
Core E Core G Core 200
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 4-5 Language Arts D Language Arts E
Science IGs:
Science F

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:04 PM

I think 8yo is a great age for this Core :D

"Embracing the "it's good enough" philosophy instead of the "surely I'm not doing enough" philosophy." Tammy (TNmomof5)

Annie
2013-2014
:mail: 
Dd(14) Core 200, IEW, MUS Geometry, Rosetta Stone French, Apologia Biology, SAT Prep, The Fallacy Detective, Flute/Piano & Music Theory, Hip Hop & Jazz, Youth Worhsip Team
Ds(12) Core E with added Canadian History Content, IEW, AAS, MUS, Apologia EC with Chemistry & Physics, KidCoder, Guitar/Music Theory, Hip Hop, Taekwondo
Together: Fix-it! Grammar, Artistic Pursuits, Nature Walks, Community Service, Family Fireside Read-alouds and Field Trips - all sorts ;)

#23 ~Julia~

My prodigal son has come running home to the Father

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • LocationAstonished and Amazed

Core IGs:
Core C Core D Core F Core G
Core 100
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 1 Language Arts 3 Language Arts D Language Arts G
Science IGs:
Science A Science B Science F

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

When we move on to Core B next year with my little boys, Samuel will be 10 yo and Caleb will be 6. I expect my older one to learn more, but the younger one is pretty sharp so he should be fine.

Even though Samuel has a sister only 28 months older, and Caleb has a brother 20 months younger, I have these two together in Core A (though they are nearly 4 years apart), because their listening skills are the most similar. They each have math and language arts at grade level, but the Sonlight Cores are meant to be for a broader range.

Could I push each child individually into a harder core? Of course. But the core teaches Bible, Literature, and History. Broad subjects. I feel it is more important (given my time restraints) to teach each kid to read, write, SPELL, and know enough math to not have to take remedial math classes in college. I have high expectations :)

Sonlight is wonderful, and we must use it the best we can to do the best we can. I think you'll really enjoy doing B with a kid who is ready to "get it". I am looking forward to it next year.

Julia very married to Kevin for 22 Years!
Trever 21 - DLA Intern at New Life Church
Tia Kate 20 - Born into Heaven at 22 weeks gestation
Bekah 19 - Elementary Education Major (half-way there!)
Hannah 18 - American Sign Language Major 
Elizabeth 14 - Full-time at College Pathways (2 days/wk at school, the rest at home online)
Samuel 12 - Homeschool and Cottage School (1 day/wk)
Caleb 8 - Homeschool and Cottage School (1 day/wk)
Jackson 6 - Charter School Kindergarten 4 afternoons a week & joins us for some homeschool in the am

SL Readers 1 thru 4/5, Select SL Lit., Veritas Press Online, MUS, Barton, Spelling City, IEW, Apologia Botany, Karate, Simply Music, Typing Pal

#24 mamamission

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationNW IA

Core IGs:
Core C Core D
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1 Language Arts 4-5
Science IGs:
Science A Science D Science E

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:03 PM

Ds and I are doing CORE B and we are loving it. Ds is 8.
Mary

married to dh since 1/1996

mama to ds 11/2003 and dd 4/2007

#25 Dcubed

Living Core 5

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,571 posts
  • LocationShanghai

Core IGs:
Core B Core C Core D Core E
Core F Core G Core H Core 100
Core 200 Core 300 Core 400 British Lit
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 3 Language Arts 4-5 Language Arts D Language Arts E
Language Arts F Language Arts G
Science IGs:
Science B

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:33 PM

We did Core B when my dc were 7.5 and 8.5 and my 8.5yo got a lot more out of it than her sister. I debated about B vs B+C, too. But then I looked at the books we'd be skipping and I just couldn't do it :) We did end up speeding up the Core because *every* day brought the plea to "read more!" But, even without that, it would have been fine.

There are also SO many books you can add to Cores B and C, if you wish. We got all sorts of books from the library while we were doing those Cores. Also, you can get movies or documentaries from the library or Netflix to add, if your dc like that.
Denise
Married 25 years to wonderful dh

dd 15yo, loves to read - Core 400, Jacob's Geometry, Write at Home Grade 10
dd 14yo, loves to cuddle - Keys to Geometry, Core H, Write at Home Grade 9

Also doing Rainbow Science and - ?, various workbooks and learning Mandarin with a tutor.

#26 lillehei

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:04 AM

I am doing this core with my 9 yo and the 3rd grade readers. It is working much better than D+E (which I already owned and wanted to save money and put him into it). He was struggling so much with D+E and now he is actually enjoying learning and his reading comprehension has improved.
Jen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users