Due to recent issues with spam on our forums, we will be turning off new registrations during off-business hours for an undetermined time. Spamming is fairly common on free forums, and is really more of an annoyance than anything else. We trust that this step will help to address the problem. Please don't hesitate to drop me an email if you have any concerns/questions. ~Judy (forumadmin@sonlight.com)

is 8 too old for Core B?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 tuggerlou

New Kid on the Block

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

I just cannot afford to order our Core before next fall. At that point my daughter will be almost 8 1/2. Is that too old to begin Core B? Should I do Core B/C instead? She has had no history at all so I dont really want to skim through it. Thanks.

#2 Debbie in Bailey

Sonlighting since 4/2000

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,836 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:41 AM

I'm editing this because my brain is not working yet this morning (obviously not enough coffee yet :)) and I called various Cores the wrong names.

No, she's not too old. It sounds like she's about 3rd grade (by age). That's fine for doing Core B or Core B+C.

3rd grade is also okay for using Core B. I used Core B with a 3rd grader who was closer to 9yo than 8yo by the start of his third grade year. He did Core C in 4th grade and Core D as a 5th grader. . . he's turning 16yo tomorrow.

Edited by Debbie in Bailey, 11 January 2012 - 07:43 AM.

2015 - 2016 School Year
17yo Ds (senior) - Dual enrollment studying Semantics, Psychology, and Spanish - ballet and tap dancing, diving, swimming, life guarding, tutoring, street magic and speed cubing
14yo Dd (freshman) - Core 100 history/LA, Apologia Chemistry, Pre-Calc/Intro to Calc with NAM, Music Theory, Art History, Computer Science - dancing and helping to teach ballet classes for the little girls

19 yo DS - 2014 Homeschool Graduate - attending HARVEY MUDD COLLEGE
22 yo Ds - 2010 Homeschool Graduate, Navy - Petty Officer 2nd Class, running the reactor on the USS Florida (SSGN-728) / married to ddil

#3 elilillie

Crossway Academy

• Registered Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Locationbetween here and there

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:41 AM

DS is 8, we are working our way through slowly core B slowly. I have core C on the shelf waiting, but because of other things he is behind in, we are working at a really slow pace.

I think 8 is a good age for starting this core. We actually started when is was 7 and he got little enjoyment out of it. Now he loves it. 8 is the upper age range for this core and many think it is better to be on the upper end rather than the lower end of the age range.

Married 11 years

Core P4/5 borrowed, Core B used, Core C
Posted Image

#4 alantschool

Miracle Mom

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:35 AM

No, she is definitely not too old. I did Core B with my 10yo son, and Core C when he was 11yo. He got way more out of it than when we did the Core B+C when he was only 7-8.
It also gave us more time to do extra research on some of the topics. It was a good choice for us.

Married to my hero for 19 years.
Counting my blessings: Johan (15), Gerhard (13), Renate (10), Hannah (7).
Those already waiting for us in heaven: '98, '99, '03, '04.

#5 Just Little Ol' Me

Sonlight user since 9/2002

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,806 posts
  • Locationempty nest

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:47 AM

I just cannot afford to order our Core before next fall. At that point my daughter will be almost 8 1/2. Is that too old to begin Core B? Should I do Core B/C instead? She has had no history at all so I dont really want to skim through it. Thanks.

I don't think she will be too old.

But if YOU do, it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks. So if you're wanting to start now, here are some ideas.

Buy the IG now, and see what books you can obtain elsewhere. Maybe you have a library which stocks most of them, and you can find the rest used online. Maybe you can find a local person who owns the books and will allow you to borrow them. Maybe you can find them at a used curriculum sale in May (many support groups hold these sales at the end of the school year).

Buy the IG now, and purchase the books which are used in the first twelve weeks now. Then you can start earlier - and by the time you're ready for the next twelve weeks' worth, you can perhaps sell some of what you're done with (some people have a hard time selling their books, because they just can't part with them) to help fund the purchase of the next set.

See if you can buy the whole core used. I don't like this option much myself, because I think there is a lot of risk in buying used IGs - a random page may be missing and that can be anything from mildly frustrating to nearly disastrous. It also doesn't support Sonlight at all, and doesn't get you "free" forum access like buying a new IG does. But if that is what you must do to start now, that is what you must do.

In the meantime, you can suggest to anybody who has occasion to present you or your child with a gift, that a Sonlight Gift Certificate would be most appreciated...or purchase them yourself to keep from spending the money before you've saved it all up for a full core.

But truly, age 8 is not too old for Core B. If you find it is too light for her, speed it up some (do six columns of assignments in a five day week?) to give her more to do on a daily basis. There are other ways to make up time, too, if you think starting here will be too low for the future sequence of cores. But I don't think it is - very few of us do ALL the cores, even though it is a nice thing to have that plan on paper!
When I speak of doing a core, I mean the 5-day plan in its entirety. I mean the child reading the reader, and the parent reading the rest, until cores 100+, where the child does it all, unless I specifically say otherwise. The views in this post are strictly mine (unless otherwise noted), and are colored by my experiences with my children. They may not apply to your situation at all, so take what seems to fit and use it, and disregard the rest.
My other "badges": Apologia General Science, Apologia Physical Science, Body by Design, Signs and Seasons; Math Singapore 2B-6B with IP and CWP, Saxon 54, 65, 76, 87, VideoText Algebra, Life of Fred Fractions - Geometry, Keys to Algebra.

#6 Robin E.

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,108 posts
  • LocationYuma, AZ

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:59 AM

My oldest was within just a month and a half from his 9th birthday when we started Core B, and it was a wonderful school year. I don't think 8 is too old for Core B at all. Hey, my current 9 yo (8 when we started) is doing Core B now. My just-turned-7 yo still is ready for many of the Core B books.

Mama bird to Caleb (19, away at ERAU ), Lily (16, dual enrollment), Jude (12), Hoyt (10), and Belle (8 ).
Core E; Brave Writer's The Writer's Jungle; All About Reading level 2; All About Spelling books 5, 4, and 2; Science in the Beginning: Math U See Epsilon; Life of Fred Decimals and Percents, Challenging Word Problems 4 (x2); Miquon Math Yellow; Time Travelers The Industrial Revolution through the Great Depression; Philippians in 28 Weeks (but more like 2 years for us); and a few other miscellaneous things.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” ~ Albert Einstein

#7 jen_mom73

Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be broken.

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:06 AM

My boys had just turned 6 and 8 when we started Core B. It was a good fit for my oldest, and a little too advanced for my 6yo. Personally, I wouldn't recommend B/C because Core B is packed with info as it is. But, of course, you'll have to decide what fits best for your family. ;)

Hope this helps!

SingerWife to SkaterMusician since 1997
Mom to LogicalSlapstick-8/02, TenderHeart-8/04, and SuperCutiePrincess-5/07

Currently using: Mystery of History 1, BJU Press Science 4, LLATL for 3rd & 5th grades,
TT Math 3rd & 4th, Horizons Math K, Sonlight LA-K.

Posted Image

#8 Hunny

Mama has a book fettish!

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,183 posts
  • LocationHillsborough, NH

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:13 AM

I am currently doing Core B with both ds8 and ds10. I think you would do well to start with B for your child.

Tracy ~mom to three wonderful, energetic boys~

DS14: Core 100, Saxon 7/6, EIW 9, VCR A, Gr. Ace, Anal. 1, study skills, co-op: Apologia Gen. Sci. & Foundations in Personal Finance
DS12: Core D adv., RSM C, Word Study D, HWT 5, Spelling Power, Easy Grammar & Writing, drums, co-op: Apologia Swimming Creatures, PE, & Am. history
DS7: Core A, RSM B,  LA K/1, Rdrs. 2, HWT 1, AAS 1, AAR 2, Spanish, vision therapy, co-op: Apologia Swimming Creatures, PE, & Am. history
Outside Activities: Taekwondo & Demo Team, homeschool co-op classes, socials and field trips, snow skiing                 

Core IGs bought used:  B, C, D+E  Science K, A, 1, E

#9 Xzavan

Counting my blessings, one by one

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,009 posts
  • LocationWandering Around

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:09 PM

I don't think it is too old, but I did the core with a 6/7 and a 9/10 year old.

Veronica, Wife to the Best Pastor in the World

Mother to: Vaneza, 13; Xzavier, 10; Zacarayah, 8; Eliza Beth, 7; Hozannah, 2, and Keziah, 1;

Remember that it took it a group of professionals to build the

Titanic, but a lone amateur built the Ark.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 trio

Making Friends

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:10 PM

I agree with everyone, we started with my 8 year old and he turned 9- 2 months after we started and he loves history, so I think for him (average learner) it is just the right amount for him, enough to grab on and enjoy and not too much to overwhelm him! ;)
Other SL curriculum used:
SL Core D and E meshed with WP American Crossing (parts)
SL LA 4/5
SL Science C

#11 Jackie in Australia

He will quiet you with His love

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:51 PM

I'm using Core B for my two this year, and I'm thinking it'll be a perfect fit for my 8.5 yo dd.

DD 9: public school, halfway to orange belt in karate, Girl Guide
DD 8: at home, using Sonlight core & readers, Apples & Pears, Dancing Bears, Math-U-See, Telling God's Story, Robert Winston's Science Experiments, outsourcing Design & Technology, drums, ballet

#12 SunshineCrush

Used to be: SLhsnsahm

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts
  • LocationElk Grove, Ca

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

I am doing Core B with my DD 8 and DS 7 and it is perfect!! They are really getting a lot out of it at an older age. DS 12 did this Core when he was 9/10 b/c he couldn't read fluently and so we did this Core then Core C (after I started doing Core B+C b/c I freaked out with his age...I ended up back tracking and adding in everything.) He got A TON out of it! I did many projects with older ds too like newspaper stories he wrote up and "delivered"...he dressed up in character...I printed out pictures of money or buildings, swords, armor and he made a collage notebook with them coloring them in. We added to it and it was really rich!! He got a lot more out of it. So, now I tend to think the upper end of the age range is best for each Core.

ETA: DD 8 is going to be 9 in March.

Edited by SunshineCrush, 11 January 2012 - 07:35 PM.

Kara aka "Sunshine" married to my childhood Crush John! Momma to 4..hoping/praying/BELIEVING for more!(Jer. 29:11) Believing this soon..God told me to pray for "rain"!!
DD17 Homeschooling w/ Private tutor in her senior year~Pre-Pointe 2, Hip Hop, Jazz/Lyr Lev 2, Musical Theater, Tap
DS16   Classics, Econ/Government, Core 300 History Spine, Biology, Essentials in Writing, Teaching Textbooks..(will graduate this year)
DD12  Core D+E (old version), Sci 4, Essentials in Writing, Teaching Textbooks...

DS11  Core D+E (old version), Sci 4, Essentials in Writing, Teaching Textbooks.. 
 2 cats: (Toffy, Maple),*I like my kids being on the older side of Cores. I feel they get more out of it and they can work on other areas without it being too hard. I keep reminding myself it is not a race, and I want my kids to remember for the long haul, not push...push...push... forget!Working with mountains of laundry, teaching, and cooking homemade (by necessity not by choice) with our many allergies to wheat (all of us), flax (me), coconut (hubby), nuts (hubby), soy (some of us), milk (can have RAW), corn (can have white corn), and eggs (some of us)! gf=gluten free and hm= homemade<p>20133792.png

#13 Jennifer in AZ

ruled by my antiquity

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,565 posts
  • LocationI can’t see the future but I know it’s comin’ fast

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:03 PM

Nope. B should be a good fit, IMO.

Mom to Luther, newly 16yo. Where did the time go?!?! Howard almost 14; and Kate soon to be 12 : all going to really bad public schools per their father's wishes & court orders.

#14 Colleen

Ski to Sea Nirvana

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,424 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

I'm always the minority opinion in these conversations. I consider 8 1/2 rather old for Core B and unless you have other, younger children who need to use that level, I recommend against it. But it sounds like you've essentially made your decision, and most people who use SL will give you the go-ahead. In the grand scheme of things it won't matter one way or another. : )

Cheers, Colleen ~ coming alongside the band of brothers: Jan (19), Per (17), Luke (15), Rafe (12), & Kai (10)

* 15 years of Sonlight ~ Cores PreK through 300 *

#15 lbakos

New Kid on the Block

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

My 8yo (technically 81/2) is currently using Core B as well. I wanted a strong foundation in world history so I chose Core B instead of B+C. I'm glad I did. It's working out great.
Mom to:
DD (8) Core B, FLL 3, WWE 3, SW C, HWT 3, Science B, MUS Beta
DS (5) Core P4/5, OPGTR, LA K, ETC 2, HWT 2, MUS Primer

#16 lbakos

New Kid on the Block

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:44 PM

And also, SL recommends 6,7 or 8 yo for Core B.
Mom to:
DD (8) Core B, FLL 3, WWE 3, SW C, HWT 3, Science B, MUS Beta
DS (5) Core P4/5, OPGTR, LA K, ETC 2, HWT 2, MUS Primer

#17 joyoustxmama

Registered User, after 30 days

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Oklahoma

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:01 PM

I am actually planning on using ALL the history cores at the mid- upper end of the age ranges. I decided to do that when I checked out or borrowed a number of SL books when I was still trying to decide if I wanted to use the curriculum a couple years ago. I personally remember much more of a book's content when reading below my level than when pushing myself (and was that way as a kid, too). And the SL books are incredible at every level. Granted I am a science nerd with a terribly weak history/literature background, but still, I was learning TONS of stuff from the books in cores B, C, E etc... So my personal opinion is that I think your eight year old child could really enjoy, and learn tons from, core B. And you can always add more if she wants more :).

Edited by joyoustxmama, 12 January 2012 - 09:03 PM.

My peek-a-boo cutie. He's growing up too fast.

Posted Image

I'm KG, wife to B, mom to JW (10/08) beginning SL P3/4, Big Picture Storybook Bible, and Kumon/I Can workbooks in January 2012.

#18 Joyride

• Full Forum Access
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:23 PM

Hi tuggerlou, I would agree that reading and working at an easier level makes for good progress. I did core D with my nearly-nine year old, and then went back to Core B as a ten year old, because we didn't want to miss out on the history. It's all good and he enjoyed the learning. I would encourage you to use the resources that you have. Sounds like you have just the right thing for now.

I noticed your profile, Jennifer in AZ, and I'm praying for you. It is hard being a single mum, but be encouraged, God will keep you. Keep praying, and keep in touch with people. God bless and provide for you.

Edited by Joyride, 13 January 2012 - 03:38 AM.

#19 Lightly Salted

Associate of Learning

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,963 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

And also, SL recommends 6,7 or 8 yo for Core B.

I used it with mine last year when they were 6 and 8. Both enjoyed it, but my 8 year old appreciated and understood more. You could also use B+C, of course, but I wouldn't want to condense either, unless I added in the books from the separate cores that were left out. I hope you enjoy Sonlight, whatever core you choose!
Amy & DH ~ DD (12) DS (10) ~ Core E

#20 CroppinIt

Hobbit at heart

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,721 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

My youngest was 5 or 6 (ish?) when we started core B the first time around (for my olders). He got little to nothing out of it. This time around, he was 8 when we started and the difference is astonishing. I'm so glad I decided to go through them again for him. For the record, my olders enjoy listening in to the core again, too -- with pretty much every new book I bring out, one of them tells their little brother, "Oh, you're going to love this one!"

Married to my soulmate 20 years
Mom to:
Dd15: third degree black belt and assistant instructor, new driver
Ds13: second degree black belt, horse whisperer, chess master in training
Ds11: first degree black belt, master fisherman

#21 heartofjoy

Assign Positive Intent

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:48 PM

I'm on my second round of Core B with an 8 year old. It's great!

Also, Sonlight will start offering longer time payments in April. You can stretch your payments out for 6 or 9 months. Right now you can do 3 months.

Desiree, mom to five children, ages 16, 14, 12, 10, 8
Cores Used: PK 3/4, PK 4/5, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, W  Science Used: A, B, C, D, E, F, H, 100
dd16 11th - Core 300 Bible/Hist, MUS Geometry, Int Physics/Chem, Landry Writing ER, US Lit & Social Geo, ASL 2, Psychology, Drama, Speech/Debate, Volleyball

ds14 9th - Core 100 Bible/Hist, MUS Geometry, Apologia Biology, Landry English IV, Spanish 1, Yearbook, Team Building, Speech/Debate, Baseball
dd12 7th - Core E, Learning about God From A to Z, MUS Zeta, Science E, IEW B and other LA stuff, Drama, Art, Volleyball
dd10 5th - Core E, Learning about God From A to Z, MUS Delta, Science in the Beginning, Writing and Rhetoric and other LA stuff, Drama, Art, Volleyball

ds8 3rd - Core E, Learning about God From A to Z, MUS Gamma, Science in the Beginning, Writing and Rhetoric and other LA stuff, Art, PE, Baseball

#22 ~Julia~

My prodigal son has come running home to the Father

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • LocationAstonished and Amazed

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

When we move on to Core B next year with my little boys, Samuel will be 10 yo and Caleb will be 6. I expect my older one to learn more, but the younger one is pretty sharp so he should be fine.

Even though Samuel has a sister only 28 months older, and Caleb has a brother 20 months younger, I have these two together in Core A (though they are nearly 4 years apart), because their listening skills are the most similar. They each have math and language arts at grade level, but the Sonlight Cores are meant to be for a broader range.

Could I push each child individually into a harder core? Of course. But the core teaches Bible, Literature, and History. Broad subjects. I feel it is more important (given my time restraints) to teach each kid to read, write, SPELL, and know enough math to not have to take remedial math classes in college. I have high expectations :)

Sonlight is wonderful, and we must use it the best we can to do the best we can. I think you'll really enjoy doing B with a kid who is ready to "get it". I am looking forward to it next year.

Julia very married to Kevin for 22 Years!
Trever 21 - Ministry and Communications Major

Tia Kate 20 - Born into Heaven at 22 weeks gestation
Bekah 19 - Elementary Education Major 
Hannah 18 - American Sign Language Major 
Elizabeth 15 - Full-time at College Pathways 
Samuel 12 - Homeschool Sixth Grade, plus Cottage School (1 day/wk), Bible/History http://www.veritaspress.com/selfpaced/, Sonlight Books, MUS, Literacy http://lexialearning.com, Jonathan Park, IEW, A.W.A.N.A., Karate, Speech and Writing Tutoring at Cottage School

Caleb 8 - Charter School Third Grade
Jackson 7 - Charter School First Grade

#23 mamamission

Registered User, after 30 days

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationNW IA

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:03 PM

Ds and I are doing CORE B and we are loving it. Ds is 8.

mama to ds 11/2003 and dd 4/2007

#24 Dcubed

Associate of Learning

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,412 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:33 PM

We did Core B when my dc were 7.5 and 8.5 and my 8.5yo got a lot more out of it than her sister. I debated about B vs B+C, too. But then I looked at the books we'd be skipping and I just couldn't do it :) We did end up speeding up the Core because *every* day brought the plea to "read more!" But, even without that, it would have been fine.

There are also SO many books you can add to Cores B and C, if you wish. We got all sorts of books from the library while we were doing those Cores. Also, you can get movies or documentaries from the library or Netflix to add, if your dc like that.
Married 26 years to wonderful dh

dd 16yo, loves to read - Core 300, Thinkwell Precalculus, homemade Botany/Microbiology science, WriteGuide, one-day-a-week school for electives
dd 15yo, loves to draw - at a very small school for special needs

#25 lillehei

Stay at Homeschooling Mama

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationNewport News, Virginia

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:04 AM

I am doing this core with my 9 yo and the 3rd grade readers. It is working much better than D+E (which I already owned and wanted to save money and put him into it). He was struggling so much with D+E and now he is actually enjoying learning and his reading comprehension has improved.

DD 14 9th Grade: Core 100 and Lit 130 w/ Notgrass Lit (Start Date: 3/23/15), Physical Science, Life of Fred Algebra, American Sign Language

DS 12 7th Grade: Core W (Start Date: 3/23/15), General Science, Life of Fred Decimals and Percents, American Sign Language

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users