Core IGs:
Core P3/4 Core B Core C Core D
Core E Core F Core G
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts D Language Arts E
Science IGs:
Science D Science E Science F Science G

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:53 AM

I love Sonlight. We're having a great time going (slowly) though Core F right now. But yesterday I received a catalog from Veritas Press for some reason, and . . . wow. I was impressed.

Yes, I'll admit that the colorful pages, the wonderful book descriptions, and the way it was all laid out turned my eye. :) But also, it really does look similar to Sonlight, with many of the books being the same, although used in a different order.

If it's not broken, don't fix it, right? I know I should stick with Sonlight because it works well for us. But still . . .

Have any of you used Veritas Press? Is it close to the Sonlight way or am I way off?
Raina ~
wife to my singer, and mom to:

DS 12 (7th) ~ Core G, SL science G, Teaching Textbooks, Growing with Grammar, IEW, AAS, Typing Instructor Platinum
DD 4 (Preschool) ~ Core P3/4
DD 2 (fun) ~ books, singing, books, dolls, and more books
DS 1 (mischief) ~ everything, everyone, everywhere, all the time

#2 Heritage of Sons

Walking with the King

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationOH, but still missing Ethiopia

Sonlight Customer Heirloom Level Sonlighter Club
Core IGs:
Core A Core B Core C Core F
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 1 Language Arts 2 Language Arts 4-5
Science IGs:
Science A Science B Science E Science F

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

I have used some VP & still drool over it. So I am no help.

Aimee
married to my wonderful husband for 16 years
Mom to four terrific boys; "names" (under corresponding boy in pic) are actually the numbers 1-4 in Mursi, the people group in Ethiopia that still holds a big piece of my heart:

gallery_3422_273_58311.jpg

Ceezee 6.5 ** Raaman 8.5** Woosh 4.5 ** Doné 13.5
and two (& more) little ones born into heaven 9/4/01 & 8/27/03

Also used Cores D, G, H, & 100, not listed in my badges.

#3 Rockhopper

on "whatsoever" rock I hop, I will (try to) be content

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,546 posts

Core IGs:
Core P3/4 Core P4/5 Core A Core B
Core C Core D Core E Core F
Core G Core H Core 100
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 3 Language Arts D Language Arts E
Science IGs:
Science A Science F

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

I sometimes get Veritas Press envy too. It all looks so good, so rigorous, so challenging, so rewarding....

But here's the thing I keep coming back to when I get tempted: yes, it's rigorous and challenging and (perhaps) academically superior to Sonlight. But Sonlight schedules "Mara: Daughter of the Nile" for Core G -- aimed at about 6th - 8th graders. Veritas Press has it listed in their second grade offerings.

Yes, my 7 year old could listen to me reading that book. And I could feel proud of myself for pushing her and having her "complete" such a challenging read-aloud. But for what purpose?

A. Much of the material is not appropriate for her at her age (and I say this with it being one of my very favorite books of all and a cherished memory from my childhood - but more at the Core G age than the Core B age!). It's got too many mature themes and scenes.

B. Even leaving that aside, she just wouldn't get that much out of it. All the political intrigue, etc.--- it's just too advanced developmentally for her. She wouldn't get the nuances at all, even if she understood the words.

I frequently add books to our Sonlight cores, and sometimes I use the Veritas Press catalog for ideas. Sometimes the books I add are more challenging, more demanding -- it depends on the child, his/her maturity, the topic.

But in general I trust Sonlight's selections to present new ideas to my kids, develop their listening and reading vocabulary, their comprehension and understanding -- but at in age-appropriate way. Veritas Press may challenge (or push!) but I think a lot of their titles "challenge" in a way that is more about the parent getting to feel rigorous than the child gaining meaningful knowledge.

Edited by Rockhopper, 23 May 2012 - 09:15 AM.

#4 ByGrace3

• Registered After 30
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:30 AM

I sometimes get Veritas Press envy too. It all looks so good, so rigorous, so challenging, so rewarding....

But here's the thing I keep coming back to when I get tempted: yes, it's rigorous and challenging and (perhaps) academically superior to Sonlight. But Sonlight schedules "Mara: Daughter of the Nile" for Core G -- aimed at about 6th - 8th graders. Veritas Press has it listed in their second grade offerings.

Yes, my 7 year old could listen to me reading that book. And I could feel proud of myself for pushing her and having her "complete" such a challenging read-aloud. But for what purpose?

A. Much of the material is not appropriate for her at her age (and I say this with it being one of my very favorite books of all and a cherished memory from my childhood - but more at the Core G age than the Core B age!). It's got too many mature themes and scenes.

B. Even leaving that aside, she just wouldn't get that much out of it. All the political intrigue, etc.--- it's just too advanced developmentally for her. She wouldn't get the nuances at all, even if she understood the words.

I frequently add books to our Sonlight cores, and sometimes I use the Veritas Press catalog for ideas. Sometimes the books I add are more challenging, more demanding -- it depends on the child, his/her maturity, the topic.

But in general I trust Sonlight's selections to present new ideas to my kids, develop their listening and reading vocabulary, their comprehension and understanding -- but at in age-appropriate way. Veritas Press may challenge (or push!) but I think a lot of their titles "challenge" in a way that is more about the parent getting to feel rigorous than the child gaining meaningful knowledge.

This is the exact reason I do not use VP as my spine, but add VP books to SL. The VP selections are wonderful, and will be even more wonderful for early logic stage. Many of the books have very mature themes and are idle school or even high school level, especially many of the spines. By adding VP cards, historical fiction books, and even activities, I can add to the "rigor" or challenge of SL and make it fit my child. Keeping in mind, we are in the younger cores, so I have no idea what it would look like to add to the older cores, I know there is already a lot there.

#5 gratefulk

just keep swimming...

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationBeautiful PNW

Core IGs:
Core A Core B Core C Core D
Core E
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 1 Language Arts 2 Language Arts 3 Language Arts D

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

I need talking down, too, apparently. I knew the elementary years of Veritas Press were not for us, but I am seriously considering Omnibus for ds's seventh grade the year after next. But, this is doing you no good at all since I don't have any actual experience with it. :)

Kay
Married to absolutely amazing dh (05/92)
Mom to:
ds (12/00) BFB Ancients, Singapore NEM 2, IEW LA, RS Spanish, co-op: Apologia General Science, Thinking Toolbox, Worship Band, Espresso Bar
dd (01/03) BFB Horse and BFB Classical Music, Singapore Primary 6, IEW LA, RS Spanish, Apologia Land Animals, co-op: Handcrafts, Newspaper, Violin
dd (01/08) Lots and lots of animal stories, Singapore Primary 1 and Miquon, SL LA 1, Apologia Land Animals
ds (06/10)

#6 Lightly Salted

Deo Volente

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,959 posts

Core IGs:
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1
Science IGs:
Science A

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

I need talking down, too, apparently. I knew the elementary years of Veritas Press were not for us, but I am seriously considering Omnibus for ds's seventh grade the year after next. But, this is doing you no good at all since I don't have any actual experience with it. :)

This is me, too; I can see myself tempted to use it at the middle or high school level; I loved seeing the photo and description of each book!

Amy & DH ~ DD (11) DS (9) ~ Core D

Posted Image
."Many are the plans in the mind of a man,
but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand."

(Proverbs 19:21 ESV)

#7 texasmomtothree

Registered User, after 30 days

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Core IGs:
Core P3/4 Core A Core B Core D
Core E Core F Core G Core H
Core 100
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1 Language Arts 2 Language Arts D
Language Arts E
Science IGs:
Science A Science D Science E

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:41 AM

This is me, too; I can see myself tempted to use it at the middle or high school level; I loved seeing the photo and description of each book!

Oh my goodness! I hadn't thought about that but I think that was why I actually sat and studied Veritas catalog this year and really never have in the past! I finally get to see the books and book descriptions! I definitely spent more time reading that catalog than Sonlights's this year....

Wife to David and mom to 3 children:
2013-2014 School Year
David (14) : Oak Meadow World Geography, IEW Intro. to Literary Analysis, Core 200 Literature, Analytical Grammar, Apologia Physical Science, TT Algebra 2/Geometry, Intro. to Programming, Web Design
Emma (12) : Core G, IEW Ancient History, Apologia General Science, TT Math 7, AAS 6
Daniel (9): Core D, Diamond Notes, Singapore Math 3, AAS 3, Science in the Beginning

#8 Dinsfamily

Figuring this stuff out...

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationTexas

Core IGs:
Core C Core D
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:42 AM

I'm considering this too. Omnibus looks really good, but I don't want my dc to miss some great SL cores, either.

Taira

Rangling 4 rambunctious boys:
D-Man (9yo-4th Grade): Core D with Adv Readers
Sweet-C (7yo-2nd Grade): Core B with Grade 3 Readers
J-Monster (5yo- Kindergarten): P4/5
Baby-S (2.5yo): Board books

Blogging about it occasionally at: What Are We Learning?

Posted Image

#9 Lightly Salted

Deo Volente

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,959 posts

Core IGs:
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1
Science IGs:
Science A

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

I definitely spent more time reading that catalog than Sonlights's this year....

Me too!

Amy & DH ~ DD (11) DS (9) ~ Core D

Posted Image
."Many are the plans in the mind of a man,
but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand."

(Proverbs 19:21 ESV)

#10 my cup of tea & me

Finding my happy pace!

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Core IGs:
Core B Core C Core D Core E
Core F Core G Core H Core 100
British Lit
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 3 Language Arts D
Science IGs:
Science C Science D Science E Science F
Science G

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

I love Sonlight. We're having a great time going (slowly) though Core F right now. But yesterday I received a catalog from Veritas Press for some reason, and . . . wow. I was impressed.

Yes, I'll admit that the colorful pages, the wonderful book descriptions, and the way it was all laid out turned my eye. :) But also, it really does look similar to Sonlight, with many of the books being the same, although used in a different order.

If it's not broken, don't fix it, right? I know I should stick with Sonlight because it works well for us. But still . . .

Have any of you used Veritas Press? Is it close to the Sonlight way or am I way off?

Oh my goodness! I hadn't thought about that but I think that was why I actually sat and studied Veritas catalog this year and really never have in the past! I finally get to see the books and book descriptions! I definitely spent more time reading that catalog than Sonlights's this year....

Hmmmm....I see a theme here. Ladies, didn't you get "word" that book descriptions aren't helpful or appealing to homeschoolers who are choosing curriculum? B)

I *think* I actually got that catalog in the mail this week, but I haven't sorted mail in a few days. Now, I am looking forward to perusing it. I know, I know...apparently I didn't get the "word" either about not liking book selections. Perhaps someday the pendulum will swing back the other way & VP people will drool over SL catalogs. Sigh.

~Karen~

Married for 21 years!

Homeschooling for 12 years~9 years with Sonlight!!

Dd17-11th grade & Ds14-8th grade

Running, Knitting, Sewing, Reading,

...oh yeah, and Core 100!

My 2014 resolution word: Fit!

#11 my cup of tea & me

Finding my happy pace!

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Core IGs:
British Lit
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 3 Language Arts D
Science IGs:
Science C Science D Science E Science F
Science G

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

This is the exact reason I do not use VP as my spine, but add VP books to SL. The VP selections are wonderful, and will be even more wonderful for early logic stage. Many of the books have very mature themes and are idle school or even high school level, especially many of the spines. By adding VP cards, historical fiction books, and even activities, I can add to the "rigor" or challenge of SL and make it fit my child. Keeping in mind, we are in the younger cores, so I have no idea what it would look like to add to the older cores, I know there is already a lot there.

Hmmm... curiouser and curiouser.

~Karen~

Married for 21 years!

Homeschooling for 12 years~9 years with Sonlight!!

Dd17-11th grade & Ds14-8th grade

Running, Knitting, Sewing, Reading,

...oh yeah, and Core 100!

My 2014 resolution word: Fit!

#12 TNmomma

Proclaiming Isaiah 54:13!

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts
  • LocationIn the land of bookshelves.

Core IGs:
Core G Core H Core 100 Core 200
Core 300
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1 Language Arts 2 Language Arts 3
Language Arts D Language Arts E Language Arts F Language Arts G
Science IGs:
Science A Science B Science C Science D
Science E Science F

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

I definitely spent more time reading that catalog than Sonlights's this year....

Me too!

Me three!!

Melissa, wife to Brett for 19 years, homeschooling momma for 10 years!
Mom to
Logan, 15~ Core 200, IEW Literary Analysis/Windows to the World, Apologia Biology, TT Algebra 2, Teen Coder Computer Programing, Guitar, and RS LA Spanish lvl2.
Eli, 9~ Core C, LA grade 3 w/readers 3, Sci C, RS Math D, AAS level 1, A Reason for Handwriting Transitions, Artistic Pursuits.
Jonas, 7~ Core C, LA 2 w/readers 2, Sci C, RS Math C, AAS level 1, A Reason for Handwriting Transitions, Artistic Pursuits

Annie Caroline, 1 :)~ walking and talking and singing!
and 5 angels in Heaven, including my sweet Jordan Grace, born still 01/97.

#13 Xzavan

Counting my blessings, one by one

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,550 posts
  • LocationWandering Around

Core IGs:
Core P4/5 Core A Core B Core C
Core D
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1 Language Arts 3 Language Arts D
Science IGs:
Science C Science D

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

I'm being tempted to add in quite a few titles of my own. I've learned from experience that the full program is just a bit too much for us, but I certainly enjoy many of their selections. :D

Veronica, Wife to the Best Pastor in the World

Mother to: Vaneza, 13; Xzavier, 10; Zacarayah, 8; Eliza Beth, 7; Hozannah, 2, and Keziah, 1;

Remember that it took it a group of professionals to build the 

Titanic, but a lone amateur built the Ark.

gallery_6207_222_42224.png

#14 squirtyninja

New Kid on the Block

• Registered After 30
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Sonlight Customer Classic Level Sonlighter Club
Core IGs:
Core B
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 2
Science IGs:
Science B

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

I agree that VP books are great. I'd just warn everyone that VP has a very specific theological leaning (and fairly extreme) and is mostly focused on Western Civ and NOT global history/cultures. Also, take a very good close look at Omnibus. Many people find the theological bias heavy enough that they find it unuseable.
Katy
Mom to my summer girls who will soon be:
E - 7 Finishing CW Primer, Singapore Math 1, Adventures in America, and a handful of AO books
S - 5 Beginning to learn to read with a smattering of things, but mostly enjoying library books and drawing
A - 2 Terrorizing her sisters between busy bags

Beginning our first year of SL in the Fall with Core B, Science B, and Grade 3 Readers/LA for the oldest!

#15 club190

book mavin

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,677 posts
  • LocationThe Crossroads of America

Sonlight Customer
Core IGs:
Core A Core F Core G Core H
Core 100 Core 200 Core 300 Core 400
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1 Language Arts 2 Language Arts F
Language Arts G
Science IGs:
Science A Science B Science C

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

Gingerly coming out onto the limb here...

We were Principle Approachers, truth be told, we still are, it's THAT ingrained in our thinking, but we used a number of VP titles over the years. That's the main reason why I can't buy a CORE package from SL. With the exception of 300, I have all the books already. Anyway, to make a long story short, we stuck close to the Noah Plan's recommendations year in year out until we got to high school. At that point, the Noah Plan went away from a Hebraically-centered plan where everything was integrated and into the traditional Greek-based brokenness of the academic disciplines. We didn't care for that. Fortunately, that was the year that VP unveiled Omnibus. We really enjoyed that course of study, although I have to agree that the selections are too mature for 7th graders. Doing I, II, and III for 9th, 10th, and 11th grades was more reasonable. I don't have the rest of the series though. I'm not in agreement with some classical purists who prefer the neat and tidy divisions of three complete 4 year cycles. I tend to side with those who think that logic stage fits more with the physiology of puberty and not a particular grade level. Of course, this means that you don't often get to do a solid rhetoric stage before high school is complete. Persoanllly, I'm OK with that, but I'm kind of weird as far as some of that stuff goes. If I had girls I might feel differently, but as it is, boys mature at a slower rate and thus often aren't really ready for rhetoric stage until the college years. All this is to say that we loved Omnibus, might use it again, and bought a number of books from VP over the years, although usually for different grade levels than what they slate in their catalog.

Blessings,
Chris

Wife to Jim since 1991,
Mom to:
Matthew, 22: Homeschool grad 2010, Eagle Scout, some college but making good $ working in irrigation right now (making hay when the sun shines).
Andrew, 18: Core 300, Larson's Geometry, Chemistry 101 with MicroChem Kit, SL Psychology.
Daniel, 8: Loving lots of SL titles and lower level SL Sci but not doing a core right now. Instead, using IEW's PAL, RightStart Math, and giving Weaver another go; Wolf Cub.

P.S. I'm a lousy typist so please excuse any typos you see but I missed! I really don't know how my fingers get ahead of my brain with the keyboard.

#16 Dcubed

Living Core 5

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,535 posts
  • LocationShanghai

Core IGs:
Core 200 Core 300 Core 400 British Lit
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 3 Language Arts 4-5 Language Arts D Language Arts E
Language Arts F Language Arts G
Science IGs:
Science B

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

We've read many of the VP book selections and dd13 tried Omnibus I, but finds it highly annoying with the pervasive Reformed theology. And, yes, we missed hearing about other cultures since they simply aren't part of VP anywhere.

So, buy some of the books and *enjoy* :). The Omnibuses used to be on Google books, so you can get an idea (maybe) if those would work for you. We needed the actual book in hand to really see how it works. If it was more general Christian or secular, we'd absolutely love it, but as it is....
Denise
Married 25 years to wonderful dh

dd 15yo, loves to read - Core 400, Jacob's Geometry, Write at Home Grade 10
dd 14yo, loves to cuddle - Keys to Geometry, Core H, Write at Home Grade 9

Also doing Rainbow Science and - ?, various workbooks and learning Mandarin with a tutor.

#17 salsa chic

Making Friends

• Registered After 30
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationThe Mitten State, USA

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:23 PM

I love the VP catalog, too, ESPECIALLY the book descriptions. It was so nice to salivate over the books and read about them. :) Oh, Sonlight, I wish that you would rethink this. I have to carry 2 SL catalogs everywhere that I go (2010 and 2012). It's getting annoying.

As someone already stated, though, I think that I would rather use SL as our base and then add some VP books to it versus the other way.Those omnibuses have some very hard core reading. I just don't want my kids to end up hating school. However, I know that I need to be a good example and read some of that hard core reading, too, stuff that I missed out on from my public education. I can't expect my kids to read it and not me! I don't want to be a hypocrite!
Carrie

My interests: I love the Spanish language, the Hispanic culture, reading, traveling, and salsa music. Give me a free ticket to travel, and I'll have my bags packed in 5 minutes! I dearly miss Guadalajara, Mexico, where I spent 2 semesters in college.

Daughter- age 6- hybrid of SL Core B and TOG Year 1 Lower Grammar, LA 2, ETC, AAS 1, Saxon 1, Apologia- Swimming Creatures, and various Spanish workbooks
Activities- AWANA, Bible Study Fellowship, choir, HS co-op

Son- age 3- FINALLY gets to start Core P3/4. He's obsessed with the alphabet and loves books!

#18 dwilterd

Looking for more space on my shelves!

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts
  • LocationCentral Iowa

Core IGs:
Core G Core 200
Language Arts IGs:
Science IGs:
Science E Science F

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

I love the VP catalog, too, ESPECIALLY the book descriptions. It was so nice to salivate over the books and read about them. :) Oh, Sonlight, I wish that you would rethink this. I have to carry 2 SL catalogs everywhere that I go (2010 and 2012). It's getting annoying.

Yep, I happily tossed the VP catalog into my SL bag for my dd12's ortho appt this afternoon. :read: :giggle:

Tara
Married to DH 7/4/98
Mom to Elizabeth, 14; Jeremiah, 12; Micah, 7; Abigail, 5 1/2

Core 100 purchased used

#19 tuesdayschild

Typos multiply as the year progresses.

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts
  • LocationAutumnal NZ

Sonlight Customer
Core IGs:
Core F Core G Core H British Lit
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1 Language Arts 3
Science IGs:
Science A Science C

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

Hmmmm....I see a theme here. Ladies, didn't you get "word" that book descriptions aren't helpful or appealing to homeschoolers who are choosing curriculum? B)

I *think* I actually got that catalog in the mail this week, but I haven't sorted mail in a few days. Now, I am looking forward to perusing it. I know, I know...apparently I didn't get the "word" either about not liking book selections. Perhaps someday the pendulum will swing back the other way & VP people will drool over SL catalogs. Sigh.

Seconding your observation. ;)
My Dh obviously doesn't get that book descriptions aren't "the thing" to be shopping with either.

(Thanks to the OP, and pp's ... you've answered a ? I had about the VP cati (off to order one :) ) )

Chelle & DH of 26 yrs with DS 02/00 &, DD 02/02

Curricula Choices for 2014
A printable list of Discontinued SL Titles

(Disclaimer: Our posts reflect our world view & experiences to date. Also, be warned, our opinions are subject to change without notice :) )

#20 mominindianapolis

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Core IGs:
Core P4/5 Core D Core E Core F
Core G Core H Core W Core 200
Core 300 Core 400
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts D Language Arts E Language Arts G
Science IGs:

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

I confess - that catalog came last week and I have read it cover to cover twice. Each time I added more books to my wish list. I am absolutely a sucker for book descriptions (and yes, I did order 2 SL Summer reading packages and am debating over 1 more, not to mention hoping they will have pkgs for moms next summer or maybe for Christmas....)

I have concluded that while I like the idea of Omnibus, it is not a good fit on various levels for my dd who will be in 7th this fall. I was intrigued by the descriptions of the programs - especially online - for elementary students, but not enough to change my plans.

Still, it is definitely a catalog that I enjoy taking along in my bookbag. I was asked about recommendations for children's literature this past week and found myself recommending that catalog, the Honey for a Child's/Teens Heart books, and the Sonlight website as good resources for excellent books. I did tell the person who was asking that I would show them how to access the book descriptions on SL if they wished. I agree that it isn't as easy as it once was for those of us who find a book description/summary helpful in knowing if it is a good choice for a reader.

Edited by mominindianapolis, 23 May 2012 - 03:43 PM.

#21 mklady80

Homeschool Mom of 3!

• Full Forum Access
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Core IGs:
Core D Core E
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts D
Science IGs:
Science B Science C Science D

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

I had never received a VP catalog before, and got this one last week, and, I'll admit, I was like all of you, drooling over book descriptions! I have never been tempted before to stray from Sonlight, but the VP catalog had me actually entertaining the idea. And it's the VP catalog I'm carrying with me everywhere to devour, I wish I could say the same about my SL catalog. :(
4th year of homeschooling!
DS 11yo- Core E, LA E, with some Excellence in Writing thrown in,  E Readers, Teaching Textbooks Math 5, Science D (just started) HWT, Spectrum Test taking prep, Sequential Spelling, and Dance Mat Typing
DD 8yo- Core C, LA Grade 3, Grade 3 Readers, Horizons Math, Science D (just started), HWT, Spectrum Test taking prep, Spelling City , and Dance Mat Typing.
DS 5yo- Core 4/5, LA K, K readers, Horizons Math/Calvert Math, HWT, Listening in on Science with other two,  Leap Frog, Super Why, and Electric Company for fun!

#22 Laos1975

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Core IGs:
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 4-5
Science IGs:

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

Ah book descriptions! We LOVE the Veritas Press catalog at our house! It's a breath of fresh air and fun to take everywhere. I add in a lot of their books, and am trying out the history/Bible CDs this summer. I agree, SL is better for elementary ages. I really like their Omnibus selections (for the most part). I tried to do my own version with my older kids for hs - we used a lot of the same books, even the West. Civ. spine, so I think I might be switching for hs. But I will definitely add in a lot of SL books, too.

Sandy

married to dh/best friend 29 years
ds 26 - graphic artist; ds 25 - computer programmer; dd 23 - advertising admin assistant
ds 11 - 5th gr
dd 9 - 2nd gr

gallery_32122_267_47536.jpg

#23 JenJeninGA

• Registered After 30
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,009 posts

Sonlight Customer
Core IGs:
Core B Core D
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 1 Language Arts 2

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

I love VP. I've been known to wake up with the catalog still in my hands. I taught in a school that used tons of VP material. Oh how I loved it. I still use it. I just ignore the grades they suggest and make my on call on what's appropriate.
I wish my life had background music so I could understand what is going on!

Mommy to 5 Dears:
Mr Handsome & My Heartbeat, 11 and in 5th
My Blessing, 10 and in 4th
Tinkerbelle and Ladybug, 8 and in 2nd
My Blog: Through the Kaleidoscope

#24 *Scarlet*

Certified Encourager

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts

Core IGs:
Core P3/4 Core P4/5 Core A Core C
Core D Core E Core F
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts D
Science IGs:
Science A Science D Science E

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

I have also slipped the VP catalog into my bag and have been reading it all the time. It is a beautiful catalog and so easy to read. I really wish that SL would go to a forum like that.
*ERIKA*

Austin (ds20) Ohio State University Go Buckeyes!
Madelynne (dd16) ps10th Football and Basketball Cheer
Braeden (ds14) ps8th Football & Lacrosse
Emersyn (dd11) Home with Core E...Soccer and Basketball
Kerrigan (dd2.5) Being a toddler 24/7

#25 Bluebirdwatcher

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Core IGs:
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 2 Language Arts 3 Language Arts 4-5
Science IGs:
Science E

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:14 AM

Book descriptions. That's all I have to say. :)

#26 calandalsmom

• Registered After 30
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Sonlight Customer
Core IGs:
Core B Core D Core E
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 2 Language Arts 4-5 Language Arts D
Science IGs:
Science C

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:25 AM

I just got this for the first time and find it confusing. How many books per year??? Why?

I also dont get why you have to work your daughters so hard academically then expect them to sit at home sewing and babysitting til some man comes along and picks them (at which point they can do the scut work in his home).

Makes no sense.

The books appear to be no different than any other regular old books, most of which I read as a kid, with the addition of a lot of stuff by Wilson (who I find revolting) and a bunch of hero worship-y protestant reformation anti catholic tripe. And a strange obsession with the Von Trapp family (who I hear has converted).

Edited by calandalsmom, 24 May 2012 - 06:26 AM.

Cores:
1+2 good
3 great
4 ok
5 needed a lot of work
6 wretched

Kids almost 16, almost 13, 8.5

Augmenting Core F/ 5 for a fuller experience:
https://docs.google....L-THChDiWo/edit

#27 mominindianapolis

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Core IGs:
Core P4/5 Core D Core E Core F
Core G Core H Core W Core 200
Core 300 Core 400
Language Arts IGs:
Science IGs:

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

I just got this for the first time and find it confusing. How many books per year??? Why?

I also dont get why you have to work your daughters so hard academically then expect them to sit at home sewing and babysitting til some man comes along and picks them (at which point they can do the scut work in his home).

Makes no sense.

The books appear to be no different than any other regular old books, most of which I read as a kid, with the addition of a lot of stuff by Wilson (who I find revolting) and a bunch of hero worship-y protestant reformation anti catholic tripe. And a strange obsession with the Von Trapp family (who I hear has converted).

Lol, this gave me a chuckle. :)

I suppose that is part of why I read the catalog twice....I was trying to figure out how it was designed to work and what viewpoint it was teaching from. There are aspects of it we agree with to some extent, but it isn't a viewpoint I would want to educate from - especially in the jr high and high school years. I do find the history/Bible cards an appealing idea as I think it is a system that would work well for my dd. I would also be interested in hearing about how the songs help with memory and for what ages. Not even sure it continues into jr high and high school. Pretty sure my dd wouldn't be as excited about it now as she would have been when younger.

The books that appealed to me most were listed in the elementary grades, even though my dd is now jr high. While it does look rigorous academically, the choices don't appeal to me for my family in jr high and high school. Perhaps having graduated one dc who is in college and continually expresses his appreciation for what he learned thru Sonlight, I don't feel any particular pressure to be more rigorous academically. If anything, I feel more peace about choosing things I believe will work with my dc's interests and learning styles.

I do enjoy reading and perusing curriculum catalogs though and delight in discovering new books to read so that is the appeal to me. The descriptions are a plus for me. I went thru and noted where in our plan for next year certain books would be a good fit. I gave up on ordering now because my dd read everything else I ordered as it arrived so I think waiting is better for us. :)

Edited by mominindianapolis, 24 May 2012 - 08:29 AM.

#28 calandalsmom

• Registered After 30
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Sonlight Customer
Core IGs:
Core B Core D Core E
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 2 Language Arts 4-5 Language Arts D
Science IGs:
Science C

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:43 AM

I do admit I got a set of 1815- modern cards from WTM sale board.;) They were only 10$ so if I find a bunch of Great Awakening smut I can afford to toss it.;) Tho really, since that period is so influential I will likely teach it. Certainly not as a positive tho. *shudder*
Cores:
1+2 good
3 great
4 ok
5 needed a lot of work
6 wretched

Kids almost 16, almost 13, 8.5

Augmenting Core F/ 5 for a fuller experience:
https://docs.google....L-THChDiWo/edit

#29 Raina3

Homeschooling in the UP

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Core IGs:
Core P3/4 Core B Core C Core D
Core E Core F Core G
Language Arts IGs:
Science IGs:

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

Wow; I guess this is what I get for posting and then disappearing! Sorry, all, we've got a newborn at home. :)

Thank you. Your post was very helpful. The bolded part was a really good point.

Oh, I already have! I leafed through the Sonlight catalog just to see my son's picture, and haven't opened it since. I've actually perused the VP one three times in the last couple of days! It's those book descriptions that originally brought me to Sonlight, and I hadn't realized that I'd missed them so much until this catalog arrived!

I agree that VP books are great. I'd just warn everyone that VP has a very specific theological leaning (and fairly extreme) and is mostly focused on Western Civ and NOT global history/cultures. Also, take a very good close look at Omnibus. Many people find the theological bias heavy enough that they find it unuseable.

I'm definitely looking into this. I love that SL gives differing points of view on things and opens issues up to discussion. Apparently this isn't the case with VP.
Raina ~
wife to my singer, and mom to:

DS 12 (7th) ~ Core G, SL science G, Teaching Textbooks, Growing with Grammar, IEW, AAS, Typing Instructor Platinum
DD 4 (Preschool) ~ Core P3/4
DD 2 (fun) ~ books, singing, books, dolls, and more books
DS 1 (mischief) ~ everything, everyone, everywhere, all the time

#30 Kel & the kids

Blessed! Not through our own works so that we cannot boast.

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts
  • LocationIn Canada eh!

Core IGs:
Core D Core E Core F Core G
Core 200
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 2 Language Arts 3 Language Arts E
Science IGs:
Science B

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

I LOVE the VP catalogue! That said I haven't loved the resources as much as I thought I would once I've tried to use them. I do like the "Hearts and Hands" series for church history and a few other things. I pick a few of their, or Memoria Presses lit. choices per year for a challenge.

If you are considering Omnibus I highly suggest you read through the books that are assigned to go with whatever level you choose. I ordered all that I could get from the library for Omnibus I and started reading (one I remember in there was "The Twelve Caesars") and it just was *not* for us even though I was initially really excited about the Omnibus text and online course. I still think it's a great course but you really have to be comfortable with what's covered and have student for whom going into that kind of detail would be appealing.

I may use the VP history cards our next time through the ancients/middle ages. I had the ones for early N. Am. history but for us as Canadians they were a little too US focused (no kidding huh?). They are a useful tool.

I get happier with SL every year for our family as a good, solid, interesting course of study that we enjoy :)

Kel, married to Big D 15 yrs,

Catching up on 7 years of SL RA's plus Canadian Studies this year!

Sean 14 -Computer Geek - Private Christian School, grade 8, with 7 Cores behind him...

Jenna 12 -Sports Freak - Geog. Province to Province, CLE Can. Socials, BJU Math 6, R&S 6 Spell/Gram/Bible, IEW Following Narnia, Greek, Piano, Artpac 6, Spanish, Abeka Science 6, MP Narnia Lit Guide
Paige 8 -going on 28 -Canada My Country, R&S English 3, Rightstart Math D, Piano, Artpac 3, HWOT 4, CLE Bible 3, Prima Latina, Abeka Science 3
Brooke 6 -YEY! -LA 1!, Canada My Country! Rightstart Math B!, HWOT 2! CLE Bible 1, Abeka Science and Phonics 1! *It's SO exciting to be 6!* ColouringColouringColouring...

#31 Margo in MN

Sonlight user for 16 years

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Core IGs:
Core D Core E Core G Core 300
Language Arts IGs:

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:26 AM

I just got the catalog too. Love to see all those pretty pictures of all the books! And then one gets to read about all those lovely books....something I really miss with the SL catalog. :stink:

I did want to mention too that I used to own ALL the cards for history. They were nice and all, but we never got around to using them. The stuff on the back of them is geared toward having VP's reference books and I found that the picture on the front wasn't always that great, some looking rather digital or just something that seemed a strange choice for that subject. I don't own them anymore so I can't give specifics. Just our experience with these cards; if you have them, your experience may be entirely different. :girlwink:

#32 Merry

Isaiah 40:11

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,606 posts

Core IGs:
Core P4/5 Core A Core D Core E
Core F Core 100
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts D

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:00 PM

The bolded would make the decision for me! Go looking when something isn't working. Or to augment.

I don't get the VP catalog any more because I haven't ordered from them, but my friend was drooling over all the descriptions this week, plus I guess they are doing a big push to match Amazon's pricing & are advertising that.

I considered omnibus a year or two ago but just didn't find it a good fit for us. Also find VP's suggestions in general to be too much too early for us.

I'm another who is working out of two SL catalogs to figure out what to do. The new one just isn't good for much. I think this was my lowest order from SL in years. I spent more time in the old catalog and looking online, so I ended up ordering from more different places too. I'm excited about next year though!

Merry :-)

Wife to my dh (24 years!), and Mom to ds-16 and dd-14
Author: Invisible Illness, Visible God: When Pain Meets the Power of an Indestructible Life ~101 Devotions ~

Using SL 100 Lit, Notgrass US History, SL 400 Lit, Notgrass Government, All About Spelling (user, affiliate, customer service), Essentials in Writing 9 & 10, Apologia Biology, Math-U-See Algebra I and II, Irasshai Japanese, Rosetta Stone Spanish, Workboxes...and a lotta prayer!

Hope is My Anchor
Hope For Homeschool Blog

gallery_310_361_17392.jpg

#33 salsa chic

Making Friends

• Registered After 30
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationThe Mitten State, USA

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:02 AM

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who has resorted to using 2 catalogs. The 2012 just doesn't fit my needs. It's useless most of the time.
Carrie

My interests: I love the Spanish language, the Hispanic culture, reading, traveling, and salsa music. Give me a free ticket to travel, and I'll have my bags packed in 5 minutes! I dearly miss Guadalajara, Mexico, where I spent 2 semesters in college.

Daughter- age 6- hybrid of SL Core B and TOG Year 1 Lower Grammar, LA 2, ETC, AAS 1, Saxon 1, Apologia- Swimming Creatures, and various Spanish workbooks
Activities- AWANA, Bible Study Fellowship, choir, HS co-op

Son- age 3- FINALLY gets to start Core P3/4. He's obsessed with the alphabet and loves books!

#34 SuzySchool

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • Locationin the land of coffee

Core IGs:
Core F Core G Core H
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1 Language Arts 2 Language Arts 4-5
Language Arts D Language Arts E Language Arts F Language Arts G
Science IGs:
Science E Science F

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:59 PM

WSS. VP does seem to offer many of the same books at a lower grade level. Too many for me to want to switch. But it is enticing. ;)

Susan:
wife to DH since 1995
mom to: DD since 1998, DS since 2000, DD (our sweet China baby born 2004) home since 2005 and DD since 2008

Sonlighter since the beginning! Also: MUS, Singapore Essentials, Easy Grammar, Essentials in Writing, Queen Homeschool, CurrClick Live Mandarin, CLE, Alpha Phonics, Speech Boot Camp. Not all at the same time for the same kid.

#35 Livin'inthelibrary

Books are my decor

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,649 posts
  • LocationLand of 10,000 Lakes

Core IGs:
Core P3/4 Core A Core B Core C
Core D Core E Core F Core G
Core H Core 100 Core 200 Core 400
British Lit
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 2 Language Arts G
Science IGs:
Science A Science B

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

I've used a number of their products over the years. I have all of their cards for History and Bible. I never got a catalog this year, how disappointing! I usually buy their products from Rainbow Resource or some such so I guess they figured I wasn't interested. I wouldn't use them as my main curriculum though. I disagree with their Christian doctrine, I'm of the Arminianistic persuasion not Calvinistic, thank you Core 200 for helping me figure this out!

I like some of their products but not when they schedule them. I think Sonlight's schedules are much more age appropriate. I also appreciate that Sonlight adds some fun into the schedule and not just heavy study.
Sue in MN:
My six homeschool graduates are in this picture.
I'm a college senior majoring in English.

#36 dwilterd

Looking for more space on my shelves!

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts
  • LocationCentral Iowa

Core IGs:
Core G Core 200
Language Arts IGs:
Science IGs:
Science E Science F

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

I've used a number of their products over the years. I have all of their cards for History and Bible. I never got a catalog this year, how disappointing! I usually buy their products from Rainbow Resource or some such so I guess they figured I wasn't interested. I wouldn't use them as my main curriculum though. I disagree with their Christian doctrine, I'm of the Arminianistic persuasion not Calvinistic, thank you Core 200 for helping me figure this out!

I like some of their products but not when they schedule them. I think Sonlight's schedules are much more age appropriate. I also appreciate that Sonlight adds some fun into the schedule and not just heavy study.

I had no idea their products were available elsewhere! I'll have to go look since I'm stockpiling my 3rd Rainbow order right now. I really need to start school soon so I can stop curriculum shopping! SL, hurry up with that IG will ya?? lol

Tara
Married to DH 7/4/98
Mom to Elizabeth, 14; Jeremiah, 12; Micah, 7; Abigail, 5 1/2

Core 100 purchased used

#37 Laos1975

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Core IGs:
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 4-5
Science IGs:

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:23 PM

I had no idea their products were available elsewhere! I'll have to go look since I'm stockpiling my 3rd Rainbow order right now. I really need to start school soon so I can stop curriculum shopping! SL, hurry up with that IG will ya?? lol

I didn't either! I've been looking at their Latin programs looking for supplements for what we use. Thanks for sharing that, Sue!

Sandy

married to dh/best friend 29 years
ds 26 - graphic artist; ds 25 - computer programmer; dd 23 - advertising admin assistant
ds 11 - 5th gr
dd 9 - 2nd gr

gallery_32122_267_47536.jpg

#38 CrayolaMom

We'll figure this out together!

• Full Forum Access
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationCT

Sonlight Customer Core Level Sonlighter Club
Core IGs:
Core P3/4

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

This post has added to my curriculum addiction and my girls aren't even reading yet! Actually we aren't even doing school yet because I can't stop researching/ buying curriculum. And NOW I am drooling over VP.....the book selections.....oooooo help me. Can I start my own education from scratch? I ordered a catalog just so I could spend time looking through it - wonderful. But I do agree that it seems advanced.....
*TRACY* Part time ICU nurse, all the time homeschooling mama!!
Married to Dave <3 love of my life
Zoey Carmella age 3 *P3/4*, Timberdoodle preschool, Starfall, Outdoor Hour Challenge and Kumon/ various workbooks
Kalley Madison age 19 mos *following along*

Gretyl age 12 Mini Schnauzer

Our HS blog in progress: http://www.wesharecrayons.blogspot.com

#39 Little Women

Love to read

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,594 posts
  • LocationOn my knees

Core IGs:
Core P4/5 Core B Core C Core D
Core E Core F Core G Core 100
Core 200 Core 300 Core 400
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 2 Language Arts 4-5 Language Arts D Language Arts E
Science IGs:
Science B Science C Science D Science E
Science F

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

I used some VP a few years ago. I found that:

They do not separate out the books that are suitable for each grade/age level. Quite a few of their "spine" books are way over grade level, even up to some adult, boring books in elementary years, and they don't label which are which. If you can't see them at the library, you have no idea what you are getting.

They don't have a schedule, or at least, they didn't when I used it. You were supposed to use the cards as reference points, then there were half a dozen resources per card, to read in whatever way you wanted.

Some of the major books seemed either dumb or boring to me. Eg, the Bible/History spine for the early grades just pretty much re-tells the Bible stories, which my kids already knew. There were some pictures of pots or whatever, but lesson after lesson about things they already knew was pointless for us.

I felt they were overly specific about some things, which I don't think we know to that degree of exactness. One of their songs to go along with the cards, eg, stated that Abraham left Ur in 2123BC (or some such date)--down to the year? I am skeptical. This annoyed me, because I felt that they were using Bible as the primary basis for history, but then going beyond what you can get directly from the Bible in assigning a specific year in this way. We did not use the songs, after that (which was, of course, the very beginning of the year.)

The additional books that are so enticing are not scheduled at all. The cards have the main spines--everything else, you pick how many, you pick which ones--easy to over- or under-buy. And the additional books are also not really separated by age level, so again, you just don't know.

I did love that they label their readers for regular or advanced readers. We used several of their advanced reading choices, and they worked very well for us. Also love the book descriptions, of course.
Melinda S.
thingslearnedthehardway@blogspot.com

Mom to:
19yo "Meg"
17yo "Jo"
13yo becoming a "Beth"
10yo "Amy"

#40 happyhomeschooler

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,921 posts
  • LocationCanada

Core IGs:
Core E Core G Core 200
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 4-5 Language Arts D Language Arts E
Science IGs:
Science F

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:10 AM

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who has resorted to using 2 catalogs. The 2012 just doesn't fit my needs. It's useless most of the time.

You can add me to the list of those who use 2 SL catalogues ;)

"Embracing the "it's good enough" philosophy instead of the "surely I'm not doing enough" philosophy." Tammy (TNmomof5)

Annie
2013-2014
:mail: 
Dd(14) Core 200, IEW, MUS Geometry, Rosetta Stone French, Apologia Biology, SAT Prep, The Fallacy Detective, Flute/Piano & Music Theory, Hip Hop & Jazz, Youth Worhsip Team
Ds(12) Core E with added Canadian History Content, IEW, AAS, MUS, Apologia EC with Chemistry & Physics, KidCoder, Guitar/Music Theory, Hip Hop, Taekwondo
Together: Fix-it! Grammar, Artistic Pursuits, Nature Walks, Community Service, Family Fireside Read-alouds and Field Trips - all sorts ;)

#41 Sweet Tea in MD

Eph.3:16-20

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Core IGs:
Core C Core F
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts 4-5
Science IGs:
Science A Science D

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

We actually used VP this year for History. My kids can sing the song easily, remember information on the cards for the most part easily, hate the format is the same every week (i.e. worksheet, resources, project, test), and asked if we could go back to Sonlight this year. They miss the fiction (even though I bought both levels of the historical fiction) and the read alouds (even though I have read aloud some of the books). It is rigorous and demands a lot of memorization --easy for some, harder for others -- I have one who memorized easily and another who struggles with it. I think they will be able to recite more history at the end of this year, but I don't think they will have enjoyed learning as much. MHO.

P.S. We are coming back to Sonlight next year.

P.S.S. I like the format of the pdf for the book list for last year better than this year's. I don't mind printing them out, and I carry yhem with my catalog, They give me more room for notes!

Edited by Sweet Tea in MD, 09 April 2013 - 07:32 PM.

Married to DH for 11 yrs, Mom to DD1 (1/2003), DD2(10/2004) and DD3 (7/2007), and driver of the get away van to all kinds of activities and playdates.

#42 MommyPenguin

Sonlight fan

• Full Forum Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts
  • LocationMilitary wife, so we move a lot!

Sonlight Customer Core Level Sonlighter Club
Core IGs:
Language Arts IGs:
Language Arts K Language Arts 1 Language Arts 3
Science IGs:
Science B

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

I like the idea of using some of their books to supplement (I'm trying to be really careful, too, because Core B aligns with their 2nd and 3rd grade stuff, which means that some of the books are *way* too advanced, so I look up reviews on Amazon and see what ages people mention), but I prefer the structure of Sonlight, myself. With the ages of my kids, I'm not really concerned about memorization so much as getting a basic idea. My oldest is really interested in Egypt and Greece, particularly, though, so I'm planning to add in some Veritas Press books, the Hands and Hearts kits, and taking a bit longer to get through Core B. Their catalog *is* really fascinating because it has the book descriptions, though! I was so excited to receive Sonlight's and then barely ended up looking at it. I did print the book descriptions and read through them, which was interesting (although hard to read, the way it printed), but it wasn't the same. The VP catalog definitely makes me tempted to buy after reading all about those books that sound so interesting!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Sarah-
Emily is 7 years old (1/07) and doing Core B, Apologia Astronomy, FLL 1, WWE 1, AAS 2, AAR 3, Singapore 1B, Life of Fred Edgewood, Mandarin, French, Logic, ARFH T, and LEGO WeDo;
Jenny, 5 years old (10/08) and doing P4/5 with AAR 2 and IEW PAL, Singapore 1A, Logic, RightStart A, ARFH A;
Charlotte, 3 years old (8/10) and doing P3/4, RightStart A, AAR pre-1, and Letter of the Week from Confessions of a Homeschooler; and
Megan, 1 year old (10/12), sweet climbing toddler who is always either sleeping or getting into trouble.
Blogging about homeschooling here!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users