Estel

I think this book would make a great supplement to the Eastern Hemisphere core!

Estel

The best part about it? It's the debut novel by a SONLIGHT grad! Some of you may remember "Send Me" (Margaret). Well, her middle daughter, Alyssa has a book coming out in September. And since it's about an Afghan refugee living in Boston, I fully plan on snagging it as soon as it's available, as a great follow-up to our doing Core F this year.  It's available for preorder now, so when I start my homeschool ordering from Amazon, this will be in my shopping cart! That way it'll be shipped as soon as it's available.

The Eleventh Trade by Alyssa Hollingsworth

The Amazon synopsis for the US edition:
"They say you can't get something for nothing, but nothing is all Sami has. When his grandfather’s most-prized possession―a traditional Afghan instrument called a rebab―is stolen, Sami resolves to get it back. He finds it at a music store, but it costs $700, and Sami doesn’t have even one penny. What he does have is a keychain that has caught the eye of his classmate. If he trades the keychain for something more valuable, could he keep trading until he has $700? Sami is about to find out.

The Eleventh Trade is both a classic middle school story and a story about being a refugee. Like Katherine Applegate, author of Wishtree, Alyssa Hollingsworth tackles a big issue with a light touch."

The Amazon synopsis for the UK edition (YES she's getting published in the UK too!!):

"Back in Afghanistan, before the Taliban came, Sami's grandfather was a famous musician. People would come from miles around and pay thousands to hear him play the rebab.

Now Sami and his grandfather are refugees living in Boston. The rebab is their most valuable possession and a reminder of home.

Then one terrible day, the rebab is stolen. Sami's grandfather is devastated. His last link with home is gone and with it, his livelihood.

Sami resolves to get the rebab back as a surprise for Eid. When he finds it on ebay, with a hefty price tag attached, he begins to trade the few possessions he has - and as he does, he finds, to his surprise, that there are all kinds of people willing to help."

Edited by Estel
  • Like 3

Estel

The cover for the US edition was just released today:

Stringybark Sarah

I like the sound of it!

Momof4JackAttacks

Wow. sounds good!

mimosa

Sounds really neat! It releases in Canada in September...and the hardcover version. But I'm not in Core F...I'm hoping to do that in 2019.

ME

Estel

My copy of this book finally arrived last Friday. I've been reading it aloud to Leandra the last few days. My emotions are still raw after reading it. Oh. my. It is an amazing book.  One particular chapter had me weeping out loud and Leandra wiping tears from her eyes as well.

I'm going to re-read it, and create a Pinterest board of images and videos to help with understanding or imagining things mentioned in the story. Plus, Alyssa's sister Laura created artwork of several of the main characters, which I'll pin there.

Alyssa even gave a nod to Sonlight in the acknowledgements at the end of the book. :)

My heart is so full after reading it. 

Here's my Pinterest board for the book. For now, it's just where you can see Laura's artwork (the book itself is not illustrated).

MissKris

That is so true. Have the book - can incorporate it into Core 5 again (or F sorry)