kwife

Thoughts on Math Curriculum to follow Singapore 6B

kwife

Hi! New to this forum although I've been homeschooling using Sonlight for 7 years. I have 5 kids, 4 of whom will be using Sonlight this fall. My oldest two (12 yo daughter & 10 yo son) have been doing the same thing together from the beginning, so my son is considerably ahead for his age. Especially in math. He's REALLY good at math, and we have LOVED Singapore. I love it just as much as they do. It has filled in gaps in my own math education and given me the confidence to tackle complicated word problems that previously stumped me. And my kids have done exceptionally well at it. But as you guys know, Singapore basically stops after 6B. I know they have their new Dimensions thing, but I'm not keen on following the Common Core guidelines. So I have been specifically looking at MathUSee's Pre-Algebra as the next step or Saxon. And I have done the placement tests for both MUS and Saxon. They both tested as ready for Pre-Algebra (Pre-Algebra in MUS and Algebra 1/2 in Saxon).

I have skimmed the previous thoughts on math after Singapore, but in several of those cases, it seemed people weren't thrilled with Singapore. We WERE thrilled with Singapore, my kids loved it, are quite good at math and I very much want to continue on a similar pace/intensity/clarity level.  I would welcome any insight from others with similar experiences. Thanks!

Derf

We have not used Singapore....to be honest I looked at it but sent it back as it wasn't something I felt would work for us or that I could teach. BUT that said i highly recommend Math U See over Saxon...as if your kids are bright and catch on fast they are going to be not happy with Saxons approach of spiral and tons of problems ...in my opinion they kinda"pound it in"   :)  . Now for some this works well but for those that are used to a mastery type approach and not doing so many problems...just doing enough to understand so to say...they will not be happy. MUS works such that you have a lesson...practice it with how many practice sheets you need..anywhere from 1-3 sheets and do the review sheets, take test and go on. For those that need more time to practice there are extra practice sheets available online at the website esp for prealgebra. BUT if they don't need it...just go on as I described above. You will hear many say it isn't enough...not challenging enough...bunk. They have a different scope and sequence....they all do in case you hadn't noticed.....but if you go all the way thru all they offer ( Calculus...uffdda) its all there.

It is easy to understand...Steve Demme has a way of explaining difficult concepts, making them understandable .and many interpret that to mean not challenging enough. It also will teach to many different learning styles......and for me who really didn't understand math that well thru highschool ...hey, it makes so much more sense now.

Really take a look at their online lesson samples...... and talk to their reps...they are fantastic.  Marne

kwife

Thanks! I appreciate the insight. Very helpful!

Hauxa Mom

Hi Kwife, I'm right there with you. My son is doing the last few reviews in Singapore 6B and I am with you in looking for what's next. He will be doing Khan Academy until we get back to the States and I can pick up curriculum.

Singapore has been very good for us also, I appreciate that my guys are learning different ways to solve the same problem. I won't say my son loves math, but he certainly understands it and does very well at it. He will go into some sort of STEM career, I'm sure, so I want his math to be solid.

Talking with my son he said he wanted his new math program to be like Singapore; he wanted a book and workbook -- no videos! (He was pretty adamant about that, LOL.) I worked with a friend who is a math teacher and she initially recommended Thinkwell (which now has their videos all on the cloud and wouldn't work for us because our internet is not good enough) and Forester Algebra supplemented with Math Without Borders (a thumbdrive with teacher explaining lessons). I am planning on doing Forester with Math Without Borders, mainly because the Forester book is what my son was looking for (and, frankly, might be all he needs. He's very good at learning from books and Forester is a stand-alone program.), and Math Without Borders is for me so that if any extra explanation is needed MWOB can do it for me (I do NOT 'get' math and am somewhat of a math-phobe). Forester and Math Without Borders both get very good reviews.

HTH! There are so many options, it can be overwhelming!

sozo mom

We had this problem! My two loved Singapore and still wish there was something like it for high school. For pre-algebra we did Teaching Textbooks. This worked well for a great review and added on some topics Singapore did not touch, like Roman Numerals, more work with inches, feet, yards...my son found the change difficult in that math took him way longer to complete, my daughter found when she had questions she could ignore them, get the other problems right and move on. 

So now that pre-algebra was completed what should we do? TT does not have calculus and it was looking like my kids were headed that way. I wanted something that had it all so we would not be changing around. We stayed away from MUS even though I think I would have liked it because my son saw an instruction video and just begged not to do this one. Still do not know what the problem was. So this left me with Saxon or Foerester and Math without borders.  We finally picked Math without borders. My son has completed Algebra 1 and is 3/4 the way through geometry. He is still taking way longer to complete math than Singapore ever took. However, he has learned the concepts. Algebra 1 includes concepts I did not learn until Algebra 2. Something that was scheduled to take about a week to learn took my son a month. I thought during this time I picked the wrong program. When it was done though, he knew the info. And could teach someone else! We have also slowed down and it does not look like my son will get to calculus in high school.

My daughter will be starting the Algebra 1 this next school year. We will see how this goes.

We have decided that after Algebra 2 Trigonometry we are going to switch to Saxon advanced Math(Pre-Calc). Unless I just do not understand it, the Pre-Calc book with Math without Borders/Foeresters book has a connection with the Internet. And that just does not work for us. I was hoping to buy a used book that the connection was expired or not needed, but have struggled to find one. That is in the future though so it may all change.

I know I did not give a set opinion, but hopefully our story helps

Shell Lee

We loved Singapore.   And now we love VideoText Algebra. There are very similar in pace, intensity, and clarity.  The goal is understanding, not memorizing a set of steps or 'tricks'. There isn't any "drill and kill" as in Saxon. The entire scope and sequence is exceedingly well thought out. Check out their web site

coreopsis

We also used (and are still using for youngers) Singapore from K through 6B.  Love their program.  I had a hard time deciding where to go next as well.  We chose Dimensions 7A and 7B.  I know the books said Common Core, but I didn't notice any straying from the Singapore philosophy, and I did notice that they have now removed that from their title.  There is nothing standard about Dimensions!

That being said, Dimensions moved a bit faster than the other Singapore books.  There was not a lot of teacher help in the teacher's guide.  So, if you aren't comfortable with pre-algebra this might be a problem.

Our original intent was to continue this year with 8A and 8B, but I was very surprised by the depth of level 7.  I believe I read somewhere that if you complete all 4 books, you have the equivalent of pre-algebra, Algebra I, and geometry.  I believe it!  I feel like we have completed more than enough in level 7 to move on to our next step, which is Jacob's Elementary Algebra using the Dr. Callahan DVD'S.  Looking through the book, quite a bit will be review for us, which is a nice breather after such a densely packed curriculum.

Just my thoughts.  I wanted to chime in about the 'common core' idea because it nearly deterred me as well!  Good luck on your journey!

BarefootLady
On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:05 AM, Shell Lee said:

We loved Singapore.   And now we love VideoText Algebra. There are very similar in pace, intensity, and clarity.  The goal is understanding, not memorizing a set of steps or 'tricks'. There isn't any "drill and kill" as in Saxon. The entire scope and sequence is exceedingly well thought out. Check out their web site

I have been looking at video text as well, and really like the look of it.  Did you go straight from 6B to videotext, or do you recommend any type of program in between? pre-algebra?

Debbie in Bailey
1 hour ago, BarefootLady said:

I have been looking at video text as well, and really like the look of it.  Did you go straight from 6B to videotext, or do you recommend any type of program in between? pre-algebra?

Singapore 6A and 6B are pre-algebra.  And Video Text covers pre-algebra.  In our experience, there was absolutely no need for anything between Singapore  6B and VideoText.