jenlynnh

Analytical Grammar

jenlynnh

I’m wondering if anyone here uses Analytical Grammar?  If so, do you use it alongside SL LA or on its own?  I am about ready to order core E for my 11 yo son and need some advice.  I’m wondering if it can be used in place of Grammar Ace.  

John 3:16

Last year was my first year home schooling my daughter for her 8th grade year, and we used Analytical Grammar.  She completed Seasons 1 and 2 last year, doing the reinforcement and review in between the seasons, while she worked on a separate writing program (EIW).  We did not use SL LA last year, but did all the readers and read alouds in the HBL.  Analytical Grammar was perfect for my daughter, who absolutely hated grammar before this past year.  She struggled and struggled to understand what each of the parts of speech were, even to the extent of not always being able to pick out the nouns, and forget about trying to diagram it - it seriously was her worst subject.  Analytical Grammar was great for her.  It teaches grammar in a very logical, step-by-step fashion that for her completely made sense.  She got A's on all her tests last year, can label the parts of speech of all words in pretty complicated sentences, and diagram them completely...and she understands it!

I did not use SL LA's last year, since I felt my daughter at that time needed some more detailed writing guidance, focused grammar instruction (like Analytical Grammar), etc.  She was quite behind and struggling in these areas, and already in 8th grade so I chose this path for her to try to get her up to speed more quickly.  We started her 8th grade year using Core D+E LA and Analytical Grammar.  But, the writing was too difficult for her so we used EIW instead to give her some foundations she needed. When we were using Analytical Grammar alongside SL LA, we just skipped the grammar portion of SL LA and used all the rest.

This year we are finishing up with the last season of Analytical Grammar, and are also using SL LA (Lit 130).  She will do both programs completely, and she is looking forward to it.  For us, that more intense year of focus was really needed to catch her up in some areas and give her confidence that she can write.  Now, we are switching to SL LA to expose her to a variety of writing types, with more freedom in what she writes to see how she likes that.  I am hopeful that it will work for her as my plan is to use SL History and Lit for her remaining 4 years of school.

Irene Lynn

I have done a lot of Sonlight cores, but we never used the L.A. because my kids have needed a variety of levels within L.A.  We've done spelling at one level, reading and vocab at another level, grammar and writing at yet another level, so I don't have any experience with SL L.A.  Last year my son began work on Analytical Grammar and I really liked it.  The grammar is covered well, although I might want a few more exercises on who/whom, fewer/less, and a few other things like that.  The sentences in Analytical  Grammar are more complex than the ones in Analytical Grammar Jr.  I wanted to push my son a bit and thought he was capable, so I went with the Analytical Grammar.  I didn't make him do all the exercises unless he was struggling with it.  Even then I would just add a week, so he was only doing a few a day.  We ended up taking all year to do the first two sections, but he only did 2 exercises a day.  I found that a small amount each day done consistently has a better longterm effect on him.  He got a bit overwhelmed doing a whole page and shut down, but could do a small amount daily with very few errors, so that method seemed to work very well for him. 

Countrymom9

I love, love, love Analytical Grammar. My kids didn't love it but they learned sooo well from it, and they hadn't loved any other grammar either, so it might as well be one I enjoyed, right?

That said...I'm not sure I would begin it at 11. YMMV.

jenlynnh
12 hours ago, Countrymom9 said:

I love, love, love Analytical Grammar. My kids didn't love it but they learned sooo well from it, and they hadn't loved any other grammar either, so it might as well be one I enjoyed, right?

That said...I'm not sure I would begin it at 11. YMMV.

My son will be fine starting at 11.  We are coming from the Classical Conversations Essentials program which is an intense grammar and writing program.  We decided to leave CC because we need to slow down and have more time to practice.  Analytical Grammar looks like an excellent next step for us. 

John 3:16
17 hours ago, Countrymom9 said:

I love, love, love Analytical Grammar.

Ditto that! :D

jenlynnh

I am going to try using LA E this year with the optional books and hold off on Analytical Grammar for now.  We are getting ready to move and I need a guide that will tell me when and what to teach my son so I don’t leave anything out (spelling, writing, grammar, lit).  Since he has only had 24 weeks of writing with IEW theme based writing, I have decided to add the SL Diamond Notes to cover creative writing.  My son hasn’t had much experience with creative writing and I feel that it’s now time to cover it.   The AG can be added next year- maybe.

SereWife03
On 8/16/2018 at 11:28 AM, jenlynnh said:

My son will be fine starting at 11.  We are coming from the Classical Conversations Essentials program which is an intense grammar and writing program.  We decided to leave CC because we need to slow down and have more time to practice.  Analytical Grammar looks like an excellent next step for us. 

We are doing the same thing this year!  My dd has done 2 years of Essentials and we didn’t join this year. We are using Analytical Grammar and it  is going well. I think she has to think more critically and truly “think” instead of just chanting the parsing— which is good. I hope you like it!  I’m also using the DVD instruction along with it. 

Edited by SereWife03