Mazurka

Community College Impressions

Mazurka

I thought I'd share some experiences from Will's first weeks of community college. So far he's survived two weeks and seems to be really enjoying it and going with the flow.   This may be a boring post, though.  LOL.  I'm mostly posting because this is the kind of thing I would have liked to read when we were trying to gear Will up for community college.

1) The most difficult aspect of the whole process was purchasing the textbooks and access codes, as I've shared in other posts.  I think we have them all now, although there is still one more hurdle -- to upgrade Will's free temporary access to MyMathLab to the full access code that we purchased.  (It was a wonderful thing that a 2 week temporary "free" access was offered.) Hoping that nothing goes wrong in the upgrade process and that he doesn't lose his existing work.

2) I have mixed feelings about all of the online stuff.  Will has two websites for the CC, in addition to the 2 additional ones affiliated with his textbooks.  The teachers can post assignments, materials and updates on Sakai, but they can also add stuff to the textbook sites.  The students have to be really sharp and keep up with it.  But that's not what bugs me. With all of these options, I think that some of the teachers assign a lot of work since they don't have to grade it all.  I remember when I was in college, we'd get a simple one-page syllable, and we'd have reading assignments in addition to  several quizzes and an exam, and maybe a paper or two. It was rare to have a class with daily assignments.  The only one I can remember with daily assignments was a math class.   Will has things due before every class, often multiple things.  Some of the online websites close out an activity an hour before class, and these are things that are not really graded --  5% of the grade is based on whether or not the students do the activities, so why close them out? (It doesn't seem like each individual exercise counts towards the 5% -- it seems to be more like a participation grade  We have no clue how this is assigned.  Anyhow, I didn't know if all the small assignments are because he's in a community college, as opposed to a 4-year school.

3)  His English class if very interesting. It might be his favorite!  The class is based around the podcasts for Serial.  The class has been listening to the podcast and discuss it in class, and I think the first paper will be based on that.  He only has 3 papers for the whole class!   I think he is feeling very lucky as the class before his is covering a lot of grammar, as evidenced from the board and classroom straggler discussions.  The teacher told his class that it was going to be easy, but I am not totally buying that.  It is just different.  I hope the teacher is as she seems and won't spring a lot of stuff on the class at the end.  Her syllabus is rather open.  It almost seems as she's designing the class as she goes...

4) The college transfer success class is interesting, and I think he has a good teacher.  Well, she's the director of the whole campus he's on!  One of the things he's done in this class is an online scavenger hunt for the students to learn about everything the campus offers -- financial aid, extra curriculars, the grievance process, the campus food bank, how the communication system works, etc.  His next assignment is a 3 paragraph essay about career goals, and then he will have to interview somebody in the field he wants to pursue.  This class has a lot of assignments for only one credit hour, but I think it will be good for Will.  It is a required class for the program he is in.

5) The teachers all seem to be very accessible and dedicated to their students' success.  At least that is the way it seems right now. :-)  I found it interesting that his Biology teacher contacted Will directly via e-mail to please help his lab partner with some data, because apparently his partner hadn't gotten all of the relevant info before Will left the class.  

6) I was chuckling a bit because Will told me his math teacher was strict because he had a pop quiz on the quadratic formula, and he wrote the formula without the "x=."  She took off a point.   These are the things I've tried to teach him all along --  to not cut corners, write out the complete formulas, etc.  So many times he thought I was so strict, and that no other teacher would require that, etc -- well, he's learning the truth about that. :BigGrinGuy:

7) Overall, I've been very pleased with how he's handling the community college experience.  He's keeping up with his work, comes home and does his homework, and from what he says, he's participating in class and clarifying with his teachers as necessary.   I do worry that he'll miss an assignment, because there are so many, and I'm not sure he checks his syllabus and the websites daily, but again, I think the teachers really do try to help the students, especially since the courses he's in are entry level, and they know there are a lot of kids in dual-enrollment as well as first year college students. 

8 ) Oh, and one additional note.  I think Jay Wile has prepared him well for his biology class.   I sat with him a bit as we figured out the online system, and the first few sets of online questions he really mostly already knew.   I keep telling him he should do extra review online with additional sets of questions (there is a lot of practice available, which is one of the good things about the online system), but he keeps telling me already knows the stuff, which he probably does.  I'm sure it will get harder as the semester goes on, but for right now, I feel that Wile's Biology and Chemistry have prepared him well for this class.  I'm really glad he already took chemistry before the class, because much of that is relevant as well  --  balancing equations, etc.  I don't think there was any balancing equations in Apologia biology, but there was lots of it in Wile's chemistry program.  I would hate for him to be doing this for the first time in his community college course. 

• Like 6

SewWhat?

Sounds both positive and frustrating. But, more positive. That's good :)

• Like 2

smalltownmommy
1 hour ago, Mazurka said:

Some of the online websites close out an activity an hour before class, and these are things that are not really graded --  5% of the grade is based on whether or not the students do the activities, so why close them out?

Back in the day (80's) I had many classes (both CC and Univ) that had homework due at least weekly (whether smallish classes or TA led small discussion classes for large lecture classes) -- sometimes the TA's would give short quizzes in the first 5 minutes of class to encourage students to get to class on time -- in some classes if there was no quiz, students who were finishing up homework would roll in when they were done or with whatever they had finished just before the end of class.  These weren't all slacker students -- I had friends in engineering and some other majors who were working  constantly with 18+ credit loads and/or jobs. Sometimes strategically skipping a class to work on assignments was necessary. Frequent homework was typical for math, science, business or accounting classes heavy on calculations or case problems mostly.  I liked my other classes that had a midterm/final/projects or papers assigned at the beginning where I could plan my work at my convenience. 

Closing out a  website an hour before class at a commuter college seems like a prudent way to cut down on potentially reckless driving from those who wind up working on assignments last minute and still need to drive to class.

Thank you for posting about Will's CC experience. I'm still working on the high school plan and looking toward the possibility of our local variation on dual enrollment or 1st year college at our local college.  Access codes for textbooks is a new concept for me.  I think much has changed since I took my last on-line college level class.

• Like 2

Bendxap

Good information to share, Susan!

I'm glad it's mostly going well and Will seems to be on top of things! And you're right, it doesn't hurt them in the least to find out there are stricter teachers than Mom is/was!

ETA: If you interesting in continuing discussions about homeschooling, join us here. It's free, fun and private!

Edited by Bendxap
  • Like 1

Mazurka
1 hour ago, smalltownmommy said:

Closing out a  website an hour before class at a commuter college seems like a prudent way to cut down on potentially reckless driving from those who wind up working on assignments last minute and still need to drive to class.

Interesting point.  I would not have thought of that. 

In his class, they are supposed to read the text ahead of time, and the questions in the online activity refer to the text.  I guess that is how she gets the students to read ahead of time.  Although, like I said, these exercise altogether are worth about 5% total.  I don't know how she figures that 5%. 

• Like 1

Gilead

DD has finished her first week of class @ the CC. In her case, the class is T/Th for 3 hours each day to give them time to do art in class. She likes her teacher but is a bit intimidated (natural), frustrated at having to tote the whole big portfolio-size art kit to class every week, and past the nerves of the first day which had her not sleeping and not eating breakfast. Second class was much better and she got positive feedback from teacher on her abstract charcoal piece. Her homework was to look up a bio on the teacher's favorite artist and answer questions about him (Mondrian). This explains why the only paints she got for the class kit were red, yellow, and blue.

Biggest challenge? She comes home exhausted and falls asleep instead of doing math or history. Hopefully by week 2 we will be more productive.

• Like 1

Mazurka
On 8/24/2018 at 8:56 PM, Gilead said:

DD has finished her first week of class @ the CC. In her case, the class is T/Th for 3 hours each day to give them time to do art in class. She likes her teacher but is a bit intimidated (natural), frustrated at having to tote the whole big portfolio-size art kit to class every week, and past the nerves of the first day which had her not sleeping and not eating breakfast. Second class was much better and she got positive feedback from teacher on her abstract charcoal piece.

Her homework was to look up a bio on the teacher's favorite artist and answer questions about him (Mondrian). This explains why the only paints she got for the class kit were red, yellow, and blue.

Biggest challenge? She comes home exhausted and falls asleep instead of doing math or history. Hopefully by week 2 we will be more productive.

That's so nice that she got positive feedback from her teacher!

I hope next week will be better for her.  I can understand why she comes home exhausted.   It can be a difficult adjustment.  Will had one meltdown his first week when we didn't pick him up as promptly as he would have liked.  I'm sure he was tired, and I know he was hungry because he didn't bring a lunch (only some snacks), and he refused to buy anything from the vending machine.  I've encouraged him to keep his backpack stocked with some snacks and to always have a little money along just in case.  He refuses to take a lunch on Wednesdays, because he only has 15 minutes between classes and feels he can't eat a sandwich in that time. ????  It's a tough day for him because he has classes from 9:30 until 3:10, and that's a long time to go without eating properly.  

Countrymom9

I wonder if cc is exhausting for all kids? Dd16 is certainly exhausted every day, and we haven't gotten to the subjects I'm teaching her yet. (I deliberately postponed them to give her time to settle in at cc.) She comes home and sleeps when she could be studying. It remains to be seen how she'll do.

She had been asked to come in more often at work (they like her), but she says she's cutting back from 4x/week to two. I approve. 

Edited by Countrymom9
  • Like 1

my cup of tea & me
On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:27 AM, Mazurka said:

I thought I'd share some experiences from Will's first weeks of community college. So far he's survived two weeks and seems to be really enjoying it and going with the flow.   This may be a boring post, though.  LOL.  I'm mostly posting because this is the kind of thing I would have liked to read when we were trying to gear Will up for community college.

1) The most difficult aspect of the whole process was purchasing the textbooks and access codes, as I've shared in other posts.  I think we have them all now, although there is still one more hurdle -- to upgrade Will's free temporary access to MyMathLab to the full access code that we purchased.  (It was a wonderful thing that a 2 week temporary "free" access was offered.) Hoping that nothing goes wrong in the upgrade process and that he doesn't lose his existing work.

2) I have mixed feelings about all of the online stuff.  Will has two websites for the CC, in addition to the 2 additional ones affiliated with his textbooks.  The teachers can post assignments, materials and updates on Sakai, but they can also add stuff to the textbook sites.  The students have to be really sharp and keep up with it.  But that's not what bugs me. With all of these options, I think that some of the teachers assign a lot of work since they don't have to grade it all.  I remember when I was in college, we'd get a simple one-page syllable, and we'd have reading assignments in addition to  several quizzes and an exam, and maybe a paper or two. It was rare to have a class with daily assignments.  The only one I can remember with daily assignments was a math class.   Will has things due before every class, often multiple things.  Some of the online websites close out an activity an hour before class, and these are things that are not really graded --  5% of the grade is based on whether or not the students do the activities, so why close them out? (It doesn't seem like each individual exercise counts towards the 5% -- it seems to be more like a participation grade  We have no clue how this is assigned.  Anyhow, I didn't know if all the small assignments are because he's in a community college, as opposed to a 4-year school.

3)  His English class if very interesting. It might be his favorite!  The class is based around the podcasts for Serial.  The class has been listening to the podcast and discuss it in class, and I think the first paper will be based on that.  He only has 3 papers for the whole class!   I think he is feeling very lucky as the class before his is covering a lot of grammar, as evidenced from the board and classroom straggler discussions.  The teacher told his class that it was going to be easy, but I am not totally buying that.  It is just different.  I hope the teacher is as she seems and won't spring a lot of stuff on the class at the end.  Her syllabus is rather open.  It almost seems as she's designing the class as she goes...

4) The college transfer success class is interesting, and I think he has a good teacher.  Well, she's the director of the whole campus he's on!  One of the things he's done in this class is an online scavenger hunt for the students to learn about everything the campus offers -- financial aid, extra curriculars, the grievance process, the campus food bank, how the communication system works, etc.  His next assignment is a 3 paragraph essay about career goals, and then he will have to interview somebody in the field he wants to pursue.  This class has a lot of assignments for only one credit hour, but I think it will be good for Will.  It is a required class for the program he is in.

5) The teachers all seem to be very accessible and dedicated to their students' success.  At least that is the way it seems right now. :-)  I found it interesting that his Biology teacher contacted Will directly via e-mail to please help his lab partner with some data, because apparently his partner hadn't gotten all of the relevant info before Will left the class.  

6) I was chuckling a bit because Will told me his math teacher was strict because he had a pop quiz on the quadratic formula, and he wrote the formula without the "x=."  She took off a point.   These are the things I've tried to teach him all along --  to not cut corners, write out the complete formulas, etc.  So many times he thought I was so strict, and that no other teacher would require that, etc -- well, he's learning the truth about that. :BigGrinGuy:

7) Overall, I've been very pleased with how he's handling the community college experience.  He's keeping up with his work, comes home and does his homework, and from what he says, he's participating in class and clarifying with his teachers as necessary.   I do worry that he'll miss an assignment, because there are so many, and I'm not sure he checks his syllabus and the websites daily, but again, I think the teachers really do try to help the students, especially since the courses he's in are entry level, and they know there are a lot of kids in dual-enrollment as well as first year college students. 

8 ) Oh, and one additional note.  I think Jay Wile has prepared him well for his biology class.   I sat with him a bit as we figured out the online system, and the first few sets of online questions he really mostly already knew.   I keep telling him he should do extra review online with additional sets of questions (there is a lot of practice available, which is one of the good things about the online system), but he keeps telling me already knows the stuff, which he probably does.  I'm sure it will get harder as the semester goes on, but for right now, I feel that Wile's Biology and Chemistry have prepared him well for this class.  I'm really glad he already took chemistry before the class, because much of that is relevant as well  --  balancing equations, etc.  I don't think there was any balancing equations in Apologia biology, but there was lots of it in Wile's chemistry program.  I would hate for him to be doing this for the first time in his community college course. 

I agree, our community college teachers are very encouraging and give students lots of opportunity for success.   They are people from our community for the most part and that makes it feel more supportive somehow.   There have been some teacher's that are not native English speakers and that presents challenges at times, but that is also a lesson to be learned for our students.

If he does miss an assignment just remember that too is a learning experience.   It is hard to sit back and watch a train wreck, but better a small wreck now than a larger one later!  Even the process of going to teachers for help or grace is an important life skill they need to develop.   It has been hard at times to not get involved and let them fight their own battles.   (And there have been a couple of times when I had to step in-more on that later!)

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:56 PM, Gilead said:

DD has finished her first week of class @ the CC. In her case, the class is T/Th for 3 hours each day to give them time to do art in class. She likes her teacher but is a bit intimidated (natural), frustrated at having to tote the whole big portfolio-size art kit to class every week, and past the nerves of the first day which had her not sleeping and not eating breakfast. Second class was much better and she got positive feedback from teacher on her abstract charcoal piece. Her homework was to look up a bio on the teacher's favorite artist and answer questions about him (Mondrian). This explains why the only paints she got for the class kit were red, yellow, and blue.

The world of art classes is very different than the world of traditional classes.  My daughter had a few art classes at CC before going to University.   She felt very encouraged and supported.  She got to have her own big flat art drawer at school and that thrilled her.   Her first semester at University was very challenging because she found them to be less supportive and more critical of her work.   Also with entering the Graphic Design program as a junior she had a heavy load of studio classes which meant tons of project and creativity draining production going on non-stop.   She longed for a good read, study, and test sort of class that semester!  

9 hours ago, Mazurka said:

I hope next week will be better for her.  I can understand why she comes home exhausted.   It can be a difficult adjustment.  Will had one meltdown his first week when we didn't pick him up as promptly as he would have liked.  I'm sure he was tired, and I know he was hungry because he didn't bring a lunch (only some snacks), and he refused to buy anything from the vending machine.  I've encouraged him to keep his backpack stocked with some snacks and to always have a little money along just in case.  He refuses to take a lunch on Wednesdays, because he only has 15 minutes between classes and feels he can't eat a sandwich in that time. ????  It's a tough day for him because he has classes from 9:30 until 3:10, and that's a long time to go without eating properly.  

This is the attitude of my son and husband too.   If I don't have time, I just won't eat.  What??   Obviously these are people who don't get low blood sugars or feel normal human hunger as I do!   My daughter always packed a lunch of a shake, in a thermos, or a salad, or some such.   I know my son won't do that this year as he starts freshman year at CC.   I've offered to buy him a meal plan to eat lunch every day if he wants it.   (I think that is an option, but I'm not 100% sure of that)   Of course, my husband eats a banana and a fruit bar or packaged crackers for lunch most days, so that might happen too.  

• Like 1

my cup of tea & me

I find it interesting that no one has commented on the other students at CC.   We get some interesting stories from our kids about those CC kids! lol!

This summer ds18 took a class at CC.   Over time he discovered that he doesn't really fit with the group he was hanging out with at lunch.   He found out later in the parking lot that a lot of them are into vaping.    Ugh.    

When my daughter was there, she was going to go out with a guy for coffee, but after she spied him in the parking lot smoking she changed her mind.   

Another experience my daughter had was a run in with a boy on campus for a special needs sort of program.   He approached her as she was walking by the library and followed her to her next building.   She ducked into the bathroom to get away from him after he began a conversation that was very inappropriate.  Another girl heard her crying & looked outside the bathroom to report that guy was gone.  The other girl then reported it to security and soon after dd got home a lady/leader of the CC called to check on her.  She set up a meeting with her & I came along for moral support.   A few days later she found the guy again in the cafeteria & pointed him out to security who took him in for a little talk.   Overall they handled that very well, but I mention it here because it is worth a conversation with your children about being prepared for weirdos on campus and what to do.  

• Like 1

SewWhat?
3 hours ago, Countrymom9 said:

I wonder if cc is exhausting for all kids? Dd16 is certainly exhausted every day, and we haven't gotten to the subjects I'm teaching her yet. (I deliberately postponed them to give her time to settle in at cc.) She comes home and sleeps when she could be studying. It remains to be seen how she'll do.

She had been asked to come in more often at work (they like her), but she says she's cutting back from 4x/week to two. I approve. 

Sophie's uni schedule has her on 2 classes each day. MWF they are in the middle of the day spaced by an hour or 2 depending on the day and Tu-Th are one in the morning and one at night. She came home and slept between her classes Th. She is SO tired. But, I'm not surprised. She's used to doing school on her bed in her jammies! LOL  I told her it's the change in routine plus the stress of something new. She had considered getting a job but I told her to wait till she's settled in first.

53 minutes ago, my cup of tea & me said:

The world of art classes is very different than the world of traditional classes.  My daughter had a few art classes at CC before going to University.   She felt very encouraged and supported.  She got to have her own big flat art drawer at school and that thrilled her.   Her first semester at University was very challenging because she found them to be less supportive and more critical of her work.   Also with entering the Graphic Design program as a junior she had a heavy load of studio classes which meant tons of project and creativity draining production going on non-stop.   She longed for a good read, study, and test sort of class that semester!  

This is the attitude of my son and husband too.   If I don't have time, I just won't eat.  What??   Obviously these are people who don't get low blood sugars or feel normal human hunger as I do!   My daughter always packed a lunch of a shake, in a thermos, or a salad, or some such.   I know my son won't do that this year as he starts freshman year at CC.   I've offered to buy him a meal plan to eat lunch every day if he wants it.   (I think that is an option, but I'm not 100% sure of that)   Of course, my husband eats a banana and a fruit bar or packaged crackers for lunch most days, so that might happen too.  

What art school is she going to? What major? Sophie REALLY wants illustration but couldn't work herself to even apply this year. (she just finally started taking something for her anxiety) The uni she's at is a great school! It just doesn't offer illustration. I told her maybe she can get experience in her internship. So, that's what we're hoping for. She still wants to get used to college and transfer to Kansas City Art Institute, but, it's soooo much $$$$$$$. I've told her not to hang her whole future on that school since she probably won't get enough scholarship to actually go.

ugh, the lunches and some men. My dh actually does take lunches. He's the road call guy. He is a diesel mechanic on garbage trucks and when the break down on their routes he's got to go to them to fix them. He carries protein bars, nut pouches and similar type things to eat on the way since he never knows when he'll actually get a lunch break. Many days he doesn't, but he eats anyway.

Now, my 20yo son is like you describe. He never took food to college with him the year he went. He at something big before going and ate all night when he got home. 

• Like 1

Gilead

Our CC is excellent and I am so thankful for it. My older dd (21) is also at CC and she has all her classes on T/Th to allow her to work. She has to take 2 meals with her or hit one of the shops across the street for lunch. I think my youngest will adapt to the CC--they get picked up for class @ 8:15 and that's a bit early for her, especially when she's anxious and doesn't sleep. Need to plan better. My big challenge is finding a parking place that I don't have to pay for a day-pass to use when I pick them up, LOL....that and not forgetting to leave the house on time. We're fortunate that the youngest has a buddy to go to/from class with, but I am sure there will be some stories. My older kids certainly have had some good ones.

I buy snack bars @ costco and the big box disappears in a week! We're also taking lunches on Fridays (co-op day) this year as well, which is more lunch packing than I've done in years.

My oldest went straight to a not-for-profit art college. Her teachers' standards and expectations were pretty strict and the in-class critiques could be tough to take. But at the CC I've been very impressed with how open the profs are to helping my 21yo. She has a hard time with writing assignments and migraines and is often in their office asking for feedback or special test times. They've been very cooperative.

• Like 1

the geographer
13 hours ago, my cup of tea & me said:

I find it interesting that no one has commented on the other students at CC.   We get some interesting stories from our kids about those CC kids! lol!

This summer ds18 took a class at CC.   Over time he discovered that he doesn't really fit with the group he was hanging out with at lunch.   He found out later in the parking lot that a lot of them are into vaping.    Ugh.    

When my daughter was there, she was going to go out with a guy for coffee, but after she spied him in the parking lot smoking she changed her mind.   

Another experience my daughter had was a run in with a boy on campus for a special needs sort of program.   He approached her as she was walking by the library and followed her to her next building.   She ducked into the bathroom to get away from him after he began a conversation that was very inappropriate.  Another girl heard her crying & looked outside the bathroom to report that guy was gone.  The other girl then reported it to security and soon after dd got home a lady/leader of the CC called to check on her.  She set up a meeting with her & I came along for moral support.   A few days later she found the guy again in the cafeteria & pointed him out to security who took him in for a little talk.   Overall they handled that very well, but I mention it here because it is worth a conversation with your children about being prepared for weirdos on campus and what to do.  

I heard interesting stories from Little Sis the two semesters she was taking cc classes. The old lady in her Spanish class that was in her 70s and Pilipino or some such thing. The ex-military people who were also in that class. The guy with the funny last name who was a friend. She enjoyed her classes and her friends.

• Like 1

the geographer
23 hours ago, Mazurka said:

I think Big Sis always has snacks in both her car and backpack. I'd say you never know when you might get hungry but for her the answer is all the time. Side effects of being an athlete. Definitely not good for him to go all day and not eat anything.

• Like 1

my cup of tea & me
22 hours ago, SewWhat? said:

Sophie's uni schedule has her on 2 classes each day. MWF they are in the middle of the day spaced by an hour or 2 depending on the day and Tu-Th are one in the morning and one at night. She came home and slept between her classes Th. She is SO tired. But, I'm not surprised. She's used to doing school on her bed in her jammies! LOL  I told her it's the change in routine plus the stress of something new. She had considered getting a job but I told her to wait till she's settled in first.

What art school is she going to? What major? Sophie REALLY wants illustration but couldn't work herself to even apply this year. (she just finally started taking something for her anxiety) The uni she's at is a great school! It just doesn't offer illustration. I told her maybe she can get experience in her internship. So, that's what we're hoping for. She still wants to get used to college and transfer to Kansas City Art Institute, but, it's soooo much $$$$$$$. I've told her not to hang her whole future on that school since she probably won't get enough scholarship to actually go.

ugh, the lunches and some men. My dh actually does take lunches. He's the road call guy. He is a diesel mechanic on garbage trucks and when the break down on their routes he's got to go to them to fix them. He carries protein bars, nut pouches and similar type things to eat on the way since he never knows when he'll actually get a lunch break. Many days he doesn't, but he eats anyway.

Now, my 20yo son is like you describe. He never took food to college with him the year he went. He at something big before going and ate all night when he got home. 

She isn't at an art school, but at a 4 year University that has an art program.  :D  It is also expensive, but we have some scholarships and are dividing the cost of the two years there by four years to help us feel better about it.   (Our state offers 2 years of CC for free if you can jump through the proper hoops.)    Her major is in Graphic Design, but I believe they also have illustration as a major.  I think an internship is a great way to get started.   What is the quote...don't ever let school get in the way of your education!  

• Like 1

SewWhat?
1 hour ago, my cup of tea & me said:

She isn't at an art school, but at a 4 year University that has an art program.  :D  It is also expensive, but we have some scholarships and are dividing the cost of the two years there by four years to help us feel better about it.   (Our state offers 2 years of CC for free if you can jump through the proper hoops.)    Her major is in Graphic Design, but I believe they also have illustration as a major.  I think an internship is a great way to get started.   What is the quote...don't ever let school get in the way of your education!  

CC for free would be soooo wonderful!!!  How great for you!! The uni she's going to is expensive at rack rate too, but she got really great scholarships. :D 

FOR SURE, do not let the rack rate scare you away! 

• Like 1

Mazurka
On 8/26/2018 at 7:05 AM, Countrymom9 said:

I wonder if cc is exhausting for all kids? Dd16 is certainly exhausted every day, and we haven't gotten to the subjects I'm teaching her yet. (I deliberately postponed them to give her time to settle in at cc.)

Will is not exactly enthusiastic about his homeschool class, either.  So far it's just Spanish, and he is very uncooperative.  I get that he doesn't want to do stuff at home anymore, but he needs to take at least one class at home, and if he doesn't complete Spanish 2, I will have to give him either an incomplete or a fail on Spanish, since it is on his submitted transcript as "in process." I've also told him that one of the graduation requirements of my homeschool is that he complete 2 years of a foreign language. :BigGrinGuy: He's known this from the beginning, and it was a contributing reason for him not graduating  time. 

Mazurka
On 8/26/2018 at 9:14 AM, my cup of tea & me said:

Well, William really complained about how starved he was, but maybe that was just to make me feel bad for being late, although I did let him know in a timely manner that I was going to be late, and that he should go to the library and study or get a snack from vending, etc.

Mazurka
On 8/26/2018 at 9:29 AM, my cup of tea & me said:

This is terrible!  Your poor dd. I'm glad the cc handled the situation in a timely manner.

Will hasn't run into any weirdos, yet. He is on a very small campus, though, with only one building.   So far, I think he has really enjoyed interacting with the other students. 

Mazurka
On 8/26/2018 at 10:09 AM, SewWhat? said:

He carries protein bars, nut pouches and similar type things to eat on the way since he never knows when he'll actually get a lunch break. Many days he doesn't, but he eats anyway.

Will has stocked his backpack with a number of these things, but I was looking through it the other day and noticed that mostly he hadn't eaten them.  I guess then he's not really hungry, right?!!

SewWhat?
22 minutes ago, Mazurka said:

Well, William really complained about how starved he was, but maybe that was just to make me feel bad for being late, although I did let him know in a timely manner that I was going to be late, and that he should go to the library and study or get a snack from vending, etc.

18 minutes ago, Mazurka said:

Will has stocked his backpack with a number of these things, but I was looking through it the other day and noticed that mostly he hadn't eaten them.  I guess then he's not really hungry, right?!!

I was going to suggest he carry something until I then saw this post. LOL Kids.... Next time he says he's hungry you can say, well, it's not MY fault you have food in your bag but choose not to eat it.

Sophie needs to put something in hers. She's often not very hungry before we leave, but they do get a break in several of her classes since they are 2 1/2h long. I just need to remind her when she comes down. (we're about to leave in 15min from the time of my typing this)

I won't need to take her soon I hope, working on hours for her license. Thankfully the uni is only a mile from our house. Or, up to maybe 1 1/2mi depending on where she needs dropped.

Edited by SewWhat?
  • Like 1

Mazurka

One thing I didn't mention above is that Will has so many things that need to be printed for class.  Yesterday I printed out over 35 pages for him.* I really wish the teachers, particularly the Biology teacher, had put together packets to buy at the bookstore instead of requiring so much printing at home.  It would be cheaper and less bother.

We're trying to get Will to use the library for some of his printing.  The students are allowed to print ten pages a day for free, which would cover the bulk of his biology printing, but he seems to be afraid of going to the library, lol.  He doesn't want to ask the librarian for help, and he's afraid he's going to look stupid.  So I think this week Carl will go with him once to review the computer situation in the library.  Will has been there and the librarian spent a lot of time talking to Carl and Will, but somehow Will has a lot of anxiety about the library.  He just won't go there at all.  But I guess this is a minor thing that hopefully he can overcome.

*If you're wondering why I'm printing stuff for him, it's because the only printer is in my office and a) I don't like the kids going in my office and b) his computer is not set up for my printer, and I'm not sure I want it to be.  I think I may save up my Swagbucks to buy another printer to keep in a common area.  I hate to do it, but up until last year when I had a lot to print for physics and some for chemistry, I went through very little paper and ink each year.  Now it's out of control. 

Mazurka
9 minutes ago, SewWhat? said:

I was going to suggest he carry something until I then saw this post. LOL Kids.... Next time he says he's hungry you can say, well, it's not MY fault you have food in your bag but choose not to eat it.

Sophie needs to put something in hers. She's often not very hungry before we leave, but they do get a break in several of her classes since they are 2 1/2h long. I just need to remind her when she comes down. (we're about to leave in 15min from the time of my typing this)

I won't need to take her soon I hope, working on hours for her license.

I hope she has a good week!

We need to get Will driving, too, but we're not as close to that as you are.

SewWhat?
9 minutes ago, Mazurka said:

One thing I didn't mention above is that Will has so many things that need to be printed for class.  Yesterday I printed out over 35 pages for him.* I really wish the teachers, particularly the Biology teacher, had put together packets to buy at the bookstore instead of requiring so much printing at home.  It would be cheaper and less bother.

We're trying to get Will to use the library for some of his printing.  The students are allowed to print ten pages a day for free, which would cover the bulk of his biology printing, but he seems to be afraid of going to the library, lol.  He doesn't want to ask the librarian for help, and he's afraid he's going to look stupid.  So I think this week Carl will go with him once to review the computer situation in the library.  Will has been there and the librarian spent a lot of time talking to Carl and Will, but somehow Will has a lot of anxiety about the library.  He just won't go there at all.  But I guess this is a minor thing that hopefully he can overcome.

*If you're wondering why I'm printing stuff for him, it's because the only printer is in my office and a) I don't like the kids going in my office and b) his computer is not set up for my printer, and I'm not sure I want it to be.  I think I may save up my Swagbucks to buy another printer to keep in a common area.  I hate to do it, but up until last year when I had a lot to print for physics and some for chemistry, I went through very little paper and ink each year.  Now it's out of control. 

Sounds a lot like Christian was, afraid to look stupid asking questions. I think their tuition includes a certain number of prints too. That's such a nice thing esp when you need so many it seems!!

• Like 1

SewWhat?

I hope she has a good week!

We need to get Will driving, too, but we're not as close to that as you are.

This is her 2nd week. Week 1 went ok, but man is she tired as others talked of above too. Doesn't help that she's got a nagging cough. Just a cough, no other symptoms at all. She had a window a/c unit since we moved here 4y ago. I saw mold inside on the Styrofoam insulation and thought wow, maybe that's the source. So we got a new one. dh discovered there was a plug in the drain hole. So, it was filled with sludge. It was gross.... :( The new one has a hole but no plug in it. Wonder why the old one had a plug in the drain hole. We had no idea. She's had the new one a week now but still, the lingering cough. Tried 2 different allergy pills, no help. Tried cough pills, no help since they are to break up chest congestion for the loosening of the cough and there is no chest congestion. It's been going on for over 2w now I think. I told her maybe it's time for CVS Minute Clinic.

Mazurka
11 minutes ago, SewWhat? said:

Sounds a lot like Christian was, afraid to look stupid asking questions. I think their tuition includes a certain number of prints too. That's such a nice thing esp when you need so many it seems!!

I'm glad Will isn't the only one.  LOL, here's a little anecdote about Will.  He has always liked to ask questions, from when he was little.  But he usually asked questions that he already knew the answer to!  Maybe he had a need to validate.  I don't know. 

Mazurka

This is her 2nd week. Week 1 went ok, but man is she tired as others talked of above too. Doesn't help that she's got a nagging cough. Just a cough, no other symptoms at all. She had a window a/c unit since we moved here 4y ago. I saw mold inside on the Styrofoam insulation and thought wow, maybe that's the source. So we got a new one. dh discovered there was a plug in the drain hole. So, it was filled with sludge. It was gross.... :( The new one has a hole but no plug in it. Wonder why the old one had a plug in the drain hole. We had no idea. She's had the new one a week now but still, the lingering cough. Tried 2 different allergy pills, no help. Tried cough pills, no help since they are to break up chest congestion for the loosening of the cough and there is no chest congestion. It's been going on for over 2w now I think. I told her maybe it's time for CVS Minute Clinic.

Poor Sophie.

Will has had a cough as well.  Unfortunately, we think it may be related to the ADHD med he's taking.  Carl noticed that he coughs a lot more on the days he takes it.  He coughs a lot anyway due to allergies, but it seems to be worse on those meds.  Yet another thing to research.

• Sad 1

tess in the burbs

so interesting to hear how this is all going?  My son chose not to try dual enrollment.  Dd's friend is going this year however and I look forward to hearing about it.  She's taking the bus daily and will be there 4 days a week.  We have another friend doing another local CC as well.   I have yet to hear good stories about the experience the Christian kids have trying this out, so I'm hoping these 2 girls do well.   I have a friend whose son is doing this in another state and he's handling all the different aspects well.  That is my fear for my son...keeping up with all the pieces.  I want to do the intro meeting this fall so he can consider 1 class in the spring.  

• Like 1

SewWhat?
2 hours ago, Mazurka said:

I'm glad Will isn't the only one.  LOL, here's a little anecdote about Will.  He has always liked to ask questions, from when he was little.  But he usually asked questions that he already knew the answer to!  Maybe he had a need to validate.  I don't know. 

LOL kids...

Poor Sophie.

Will has had a cough as well.  Unfortunately, we think it may be related to the ADHD med he's taking.  Carl noticed that he coughs a lot more on the days he takes it.  He coughs a lot anyway due to allergies, but it seems to be worse on those meds.  Yet another thing to research.

Ya know, it started when she started taking lexapro and I wondered if it was from that! So interesting you relate the ADHD meds to a cough!

• Like 1

the geographer

I'd like to say I would be the mean mom and tell him to put on his big boy pants, get over to the library and print out his stuff because I wasn't going to. Adulting, taking care of your responsibilities, blah, blah, blah. But in reality, yeah, I'd probably print it for the first class then make them go do it. 

Big Sis has had to buy packets at the bookstore a couple of times. One was for her last favorite class ever and we had a ceremonial book burning at the end. That was fun!

• Like 1

SewWhat?
13 minutes ago, the geographer said:

I'd like to say I would be the mean mom and tell him to put on his big boy pants, get over to the library and print out his stuff because I wasn't going to. Adulting, taking care of your responsibilities, blah, blah, blah. But in reality, yeah, I'd probably print it for the first class then make them go do it. 

Big Sis has had to buy packets at the bookstore a couple of times. One was for her last favorite class ever and we had a ceremonial book burning at the end. That was fun!

I'd be 1/2 and 1/2 too. I wouldn't go in with him when he was doing dual credit in 11th grade (or of course when he started college after he graduated.) But he needed something done on the computer that I helped him with, once... I don't know HOW many times I said, if you don't know, ASK.

• Like 1

Mazurka
1 hour ago, tess in the burbs said:

That is my fear for my son...keeping up with all the pieces.  I 

Keeping up with the pieces is the hardest thing of all.  He has one teacher who constantly uploads stuff to the website.  He can check it one day, and the next day it is different.  And it's not just new helpful materials loaded, but assignments that aren't on the syllabus!  He has so many assignments, which is a huge surprise for me.  I did not do so many little piddlling things in college.  Not to mean they are worthless with the word "piddling," just that there are a bunch of little assignments, sometimes 2 or 3 daily -- all separate kinds of things.

Mazurka
1 hour ago, SewWhat? said:

LOL kids...

Ya know, it started when she started taking lexapro and I wondered if it was from that! So interesting you relate the ADHD meds to a cough!

I googled the coughing with adderall this morning, and from what I've read, some the coughing may be due to the medicine causing a dry mouth and throat.  So maybe that is the same with the lexapro??

SewWhat?

I googled the coughing with adderall this morning, and from what I've read, some the coughing may be due to the medicine causing a dry mouth and throat.  So maybe that is the same with the lexapro??

Maybe!!! I'll certainly be looking it up. She has her first med check next week I think. I'll ask about it then too.

• Like 1

Mazurka
1 hour ago, the geographer said:

Carl is going to go with him to the library this week and make sure he understands how to use the computers, log on to his accounts there, print, download etc.  

I have no problem with helping him a bit.  He has really done a marvelous job at the CC, way better than I expected.  He has had no problem adapting to a classroom, communicating with the teacher and other students, and even helping other students with some questions.   He comes home and does his homework, and frankly, I think he is more diligent with his work than I was as a freshman.  It's been such a relief.  All these years, I've read so much about how homeschool students should really take classes outside of the home to get used to a group environment, etc, etc.  William has had no outside classes since a 3rd or 4th grade art co-op, and he's fitting into the community college scenario just fine. LOL, he's even remembering to write his name on his paper, lol.  He recounted to me that in one of his classes, the teacher commented that she got a great paper, but the student forgot to write his name.  It wasn't Will, at least.

Incidentally, some of the local schools have a full-time dual enrollment counselor at the school.  This is not a school employee, but a community college employee.  They are there to help the students.  The students also have to take the college transfer success course, which has. been a really good thing -- it has forced Will to learn about the services offered, and where to get information, etc.  This week he has to write a paper about his career interests, and then he will have to interview people in his field of interest. The CC is really trying to do everything possible to help these students succeed.

I wish the bio teacher had packets to buy.  She did have the lab report manual printed up for purchase, but not the slides for notetaking. Will told me that he even helped another student access the notes slides today.  So he knows where to find them.  Now just to get him to print them out!

Edited by Mazurka
  • Like 1

texasmomtothree
18 minutes ago, Mazurka said:

Keeping up with the pieces is the hardest thing of all.  He has one teacher who constantly uploads stuff to the website.  He can check it one day, and the next day it is different.  And it's not just new helpful materials loaded, but assignments that aren't on the syllabus!  He has so many assignments, which is a huge surprise for me.  I did not do so many little piddlling things in college.  Not to mean they are worthless with the word "piddling," just that there are a bunch of little assignments, sometimes 2 or 3 daily -- all separate kinds of things.

Check to see if there is an app that will notify Will when something new posts. At my son's college they use blackboard for all their classes and there is an app you can download on your phone and it will put a little reminder at the top of your phone when anything new is posted in a class. Makes it much easier to keep up with everything.

• Like 1

Mazurka
18 minutes ago, SewWhat? said:

Maybe!!! I'll certainly be looking it up. She has her first med check next week I think. I'll ask about it then too.

I'm looking into maybe getting Will some dry-mouth tablets. I used to have some, with xylitol in them, due to dry mouth from RA.

Mazurka
9 minutes ago, texasmomtothree said:

Check to see if there is an app that will notify Will when something new posts. At my son's college they use blackboard for all their classes and there is an app you can download on your phone and it will put a little reminder at the top of your phone when anything new is posted in a class. Makes it much easier to keep up with everything.

Good suggestion.  I will have him check.  My son's school uses Sakai.  I guess that's like blackboard?

SewWhat?

I'm looking into maybe getting Will some dry-mouth tablets. I used to have some, with xylitol in them, due to dry mouth from RA.

If you have suggestions please let me know. I've never heard of a dry mouth tablet.

• Like 1

SewWhat?
10 minutes ago, texasmomtothree said:

I'll let my dd know! Her college uses blackboard.

• Like 2

Mazurka

If you have suggestions please let me know. I've never heard of a dry mouth tablet.

I used to get them from the dentist.  If I figure out what they were, or find an alternative, I'll let you know.

Gilead

My kids' stories are more along the lines of inappropriate invitations from people of the same sex, LOL. That said, both ds and dd have made good friends and study buddies at CC, people they hang out with outside of school time. And they were really good, especially dd, about advocating for themselves and talking with professors during office hours -- something I was too timid to benefit from.

With regard to foreign language, I am a big fail....oldest dd never did get foreign language on her transcript, but luckily the private art school didn't really care. DS and DD have both taken their foreign language @ CC -- Spanish for one and ASL for the other. Youngest will probably do Spanish or French @ CC; she did latin with me in elementary and has 1 year of high school latin credit from her junior high years.

• Like 1

SewWhat?
13 minutes ago, Mazurka said:

I used to get them from the dentist.  If I figure out what they were, or find an alternative, I'll let you know.

OH ok. I'll ask my sil then, she's a hygienist. :) 

• Like 1

Mazurka
12 minutes ago, Gilead said:

My kids' stories are more along the lines of inappropriate invitations from people of the same sex, LOL. That said, both ds and dd have made good friends and study buddies at CC, people they hang out with outside of school time. And they were really good, especially dd, about advocating for themselves and talking with professors during office hours -- something I was too timid to benefit from.

With regard to foreign language, I am a big fail....oldest dd never did get foreign language on her transcript, but luckily the private art school didn't really care. DS and DD have both taken their foreign language @ CC -- Spanish for one and ASL for the other. Youngest will probably do Spanish or French @ CC; she did latin with me in elementary and has 1 year of high school latin credit from her junior high years.

Well, if I had to do it over again, I don't think I would have put Spanish 2 on his transcript at all and just had him take more Spanish at the CC. But now it's on his transcript, and he's got to finish it since the transcript is an official document. 

Gilead
20 minutes ago, Mazurka said:

Well, if I had to do it over again, I don't think I would have put Spanish 2 on his transcript at all and just had him take more Spanish at the CC. But now it's on his transcript, and he's got to finish it since the transcript is an official document. 

On the list of things you can't take back, eh? I have things I'd do differently for sure.

• Like 1

Mazurka
13 minutes ago, Gilead said:

On the list of things you can't take back, eh? I have things I'd do differently for sure.

I have tons of things I'd do differently.

In my other thread I mentioned I'm cleaning up my schoolroom and packing stuff away and other things to sell.  And I'm so sad about all of the extras I bought but never used because we had to get school done, and school always seemed more important. :-(  I'm not so sure about that any more. 

Gilead

I have tons of things I'd do differently.

In my other thread I mentioned I'm cleaning up my schoolroom and packing stuff away and other things to sell.  And I'm so sad about all of the extras I bought but never used because we had to get school done, and school always seemed more important. :-(  I'm not so sure about that any more. 

I have all these games I couldn't get them to play.....

• Like 1

Mazurka
11 minutes ago, Gilead said:

I have all these games I couldn't get them to play.....

We definitely had some of that, too.  

And crafts!  I could supply an elementary school for a year....

• Haha 1

Gilead

We definitely had some of that, too.  

And crafts!  I could supply an elementary school for a year....

All the crafts stuff is going to AHG. I hope I can sell the math manipulatives....they're usually in demand. Science supplies are pretty worthless for resale in elementary school.

• Like 1

my cup of tea & me
7 hours ago, Mazurka said:

Your mention of xylitol made me think of mentioning the lollipops I buy for ds4: they are called zollipops.  They have xylitol and we all love them.   I think they may also have a version that isn't on a stick too.   Might be worth checking out. 

7 hours ago, texasmomtothree said:

Hmmm...I'll have to ask ds18 about this.   He did mention today that they had updated/changed elearn from last semester to make it more mobile friendly & that he doesn't like it.   I wonder if that is one of the new features.   

7 hours ago, Mazurka said:

Good suggestion.  I will have him check.  My son's school uses Sakai.  I guess that's like blackboard?

I wonder if your Sakai, their blackboard, and elearn are the same type of thing...

7 hours ago, Gilead said:

Oh dear!  We had a run in like that once too.  

Dd21 is still besties with two of the kids she studied with at CC.  One is now a long distance friend and the other followed her to University.   I hope ds18 finds his people and soon.   

So my son started classes today.  He had three: Communications (which is not speech, but counts as a speech credit, but he corrects me every time I call it speech.), US History ( which as a SLer should be a breeze!), and a Film class in which he gets to watch movies (lol!).   I can't wait to see the list of movies, but he said they probably won't be any good bc they are Oscar winners.  Yeah, I'm pretty sure our definition of classics won't much make the list.   He was irritated a bit that he couldn't get a front row seat at his second class. So not how I was or hubby was in school!  Our daughter did great about going to professors and speaking up in class when she had something intelligent to add to the lecture.   I think this is where homeschoolers shine, and it is such a blessing to see what we've done made a difference.  Now, if only I can feel such success with number 3.   :giggle:

• Like 1

Merry

For dry mouth, our local health store has xylitol candies--similar to the Zolipops I think, only no stick :-). Maybe something like that would help?

On 8/25/2018 at 10:38 PM, Mazurka said:

He refuses to take a lunch on Wednesdays, because he only has 15 minutes between classes and feels he can't eat a sandwich in that time. ????  

I will say that dd doesn't find that enough time either, because it's really not 15 minutes--if you have to go to the bathroom or walk to another classroom, or happen to talk to someone after (or need to talk to the teacher), or if class runs over...

However, she'll eat snacks, LOL! (She will take healthier options though too, like celery to dip into those snack-size peanut butter containers...I'm forgetting what those are called right now...etc...) I think those Sargento cheese snacks that have nuts and dried fruit on one side and cheese cubes on the other look really good but haven't tried them yet. There are options besides sandwiches that also aren't "vendoland" food!

12 hours ago, Mazurka said:

I really wish the teachers, particularly the Biology teacher, had put together packets to buy at the bookstore instead of requiring so much printing at home.  It would be cheaper and less bother.

One of dd's teachers didn't print out material because he found most of his students just accessed the info online and the printing got trashed. Like her mother, though, she wanted the paper copy!

I don't know that our CC has quite so many piddly assignments--not 2-3 per class per day at least. There's usually one class that seems to have a weekly assignment or quiz (dd's chemistry class last year had a ton of work!) However, I will say that there is a benefit in students having a lot of small assignments--it keeps them on track and accountable better than just the "2 midterms and a final" type of scenario. I wonder if they are more likely to get a decent grade. My kids have kept up with reading better than I did as a Freshman/Sophomore, and I wonder if in part that's due to having regular, smaller assignments based on the reading (though they both do tell me stories about kids who don't read & don't study etc... & they can't figure those kids out!)

DD loved getting back to school this fall, but came home the first day and remembered...Oh, going back to college isn't just seeing all my friends again...it's work!

I think in her excitement to be done with her summer job, she forgot, LOL!

• Like 2

Mazurka
On 8/27/2018 at 10:57 PM, Merry said:

For dry mouth, our local health store has xylitol candies--similar to the Zolipops I think, only no stick :-). Maybe something like that would help?

I need to check them out.  Lollipops are definitely not good for class, lol.

I will say that dd doesn't find that enough time either, because it's really not 15 minutes--if you have to go to the bathroom or walk to another classroom, or happen to talk to someone after (or need to talk to the teacher), or if class runs over...

However, she'll eat snacks, LOL! (She will take healthier options though too, like celery to dip into those snack-size peanut butter containers...I'm forgetting what those are called right now...etc...) I think those Sargento cheese snacks that have nuts and dried fruit on one side and cheese cubes on the other look really good but haven't tried them yet. There are options besides sandwiches that also aren't "vendoland" food!

I like those Sargento cheese snack with nuts and fruit!  Maybe Will would like to take something like that. 

One of dd's teachers didn't print out material because he found most of his students just accessed the info online and the printing got trashed. Like her mother, though, she wanted the paper copy!

Well, the teacher highly suggests that the students print these out and take them to class for taking notes.   When I was reading about the teacher on Rate My Professor several of the people emphasized using her slides for taking notes because that material is what would be on the tests. 

I don't know that our CC has quite so many piddly assignments--not 2-3 per class per day at least. There's usually one class that seems to have a weekly assignment or quiz (dd's chemistry class last year had a ton of work!) However, I will say that there is a benefit in students having a lot of small assignments--it keeps them on track and accountable better than just the "2 midterms and a final" type of scenario. I wonder if they are more likely to get a decent grade. My kids have kept up with reading better than I did as a Freshman/Sophomore, and I wonder if in part that's due to having regular, smaller assignments based on the reading (though they both do tell me stories about kids who don't read & don't study etc... & they can't figure those kids out!)

Well, I think there is some truth in that, and I think that may be why the bio teacher has sooooo many assignments.  Again, on her reviews, she is rated as a hard professor, but one who wants her students to succeed, and that if you take the notes and do the required work, you shouldn't have a problem in her class.   The bio teacher includes a lot of stuff on her website about how to be a good student, study skills, etc. 

DD loved getting back to school this fall, but came home the first day and remembered...Oh, going back to college isn't just seeing all my friends again...it's work!

I think in her excitement to be done with her summer job, she forgot, LOL!

School is a lot of work, isn't it?  What's the recommendation?  Three hours outside of class for every hour in class?  Or is it two?  Off to google.

Momof4JackAttacks

My senior, Josiah, started his second year of CC. He does not like online classes, which he has one and may drop it. I'm letting him decide.  He likes his other classes.  My oldest two boys liked the online classes they had.

Since its free in MN to take college classes in high school, he doesn't have to pay for books either. He likes his other classes. He's very busy right now with fall soccer season 6 days a week with the high school, working 12 hours a week and school.

Today is Josiah's 18th birthday. He got his motorcycle permit after his morning class, so now he can legally drive his motorcycle on the road. It's nice seeing him become more independent and more mature young man.

• Like 2

Countrymom9

Dd16 is liking her cc classes. One of them (Anatomy and Physiology) has the reputation of being one of the hardest courses there. She had her first quiz yesterday and got an 84. I thought that was fine; she thought it was pretty dreadful :). Yesterday they looked at differrent types of cells under the microscope and took pictures of them with their phones. They had to write descriptions etc. in their lab books and must memorize them for a test two weeks away. (She said that very calmly, as if there weren't, like, twenty-five or so different types of tissue represented.) She loves her Nutrition and Human Development class, hates her computer class. I keep telling her she will learn things in there that she'll use later; so far, it's all been things she already knows.

Dd is very impressed by the Anatomy storage room...she said in delight, "There are about eight full-size human skeletons and a lot of those life-size human models you can reach into and pull organs out of! I'm going to learn so much!" If she actually goes to med school, I have a feeling she's going to really enjoy it!

From 11-1 yesterday there was a big sponsored lunch/science festival in the courtyard between the science building and the library. Several of her friends from church and soccer were there and they enjoyed a good (free) lunch and complimentary shaved-ice treats as well as knowledge-based games with gift cards as prizes. Such an encouragement for the kids! I hope more local businesses do that!

We are still ironing out the glitches in our schedule. I'll be glad when she has fewer work hours, which she has requested.

Edited by Countrymom9
  • Like 2

Merry
On 8/29/2018 at 9:00 AM, Mazurka said:

What's the recommendation?  Three hours outside of class for every hour in class?  Or is it two?  Off to google.

I think both! I've heard "2-3 hours for every credit hour." It adds up fast!

On 8/30/2018 at 6:50 AM, Countrymom9 said:

Yesterday they looked at differrent types of cells under the microscope and took pictures of them with their phones. They had to write descriptions etc. in their lab books and must memorize them for a test two weeks away. (She said that very calmly, as if there weren't, like, twenty-five or so different types of tissue represented.)

My dd is taking Anatomy & Physiology too, and has a similar quiz coming up! She's trying to decide between nursing and Early Childhood Education, and the A&P is a pre-req. for nursing. She's also taking her second English class, Speech, and Intro to Early Childhood Education. She loves her speech class and has a fun instructor for that. English can drag on a bit (instructor has a drier sense of humor and lower energy). She did have Human Growth & Development too, but the only section that fit in her schedule was a hybrid course & they were only going to meet 3 times for the whole semester--so she's hoping that an in-person course will work out next semester. Content-wise, that was the one she was most interested in, so she kind of hated to drop it, but just not a fit for her learning-style, and she's still full-time. The A&P lab will keep her plenty busy too. 

• Like 2

SewWhat?
9 hours ago, Merry said:

. The A&P lab will keep her plenty busy too. 

That's for sure! It's been quite a while now but I still remember A&P lab. Not really what I'd call fun. LOL

• Like 2

Mazurka
9 hours ago, Merry said:

. She did have Human Growth & Development too, but the only section that fit in her schedule was a hybrid course & they were only going to meet 3 times for the whole semester--so she's hoping that an in-person course will work out next semester. Content-wise, that was the one she was most interested in, so she kind of hated to drop it, but just not a fit for her learning-style, and she's still full-time. 

I think it's really great that she knows her learning style and is willing to alter her schedule to find the class set-up that works best for her.

• Like 1

Mazurka
On 8/29/2018 at 9:22 PM, Momof4JackAttacks said:

Since its free in MN to take college classes in high school, he doesn't have to pay for books either.

That is great that the students get books, too.  Wow!  I bet that encourages the CC to use less expensive books and probably not many of the on-line codes.

Merry
On 9/1/2018 at 9:02 AM, SewWhat? said:

That's for sure! It's been quite a while now but I still remember A&P lab. Not really what I'd call fun. LOL

LOL, it wouldn't be my cuppa! But she has always been fascinated with the human body, so I think she'll find it interesting at least...fun might be a stretch, LOL!

On 9/1/2018 at 9:20 AM, Mazurka said:

I think it's really great that she knows her learning style and is willing to alter her schedule to find the class set-up that works best for her.

Me too! Originally she was going to take a Pottery elective, but not enough kids signed up. So I told her she could sign up for a couple of classes and drop one. She was going to keep both until we found out how this one worked. Our CC offers two types of hybrid courses--one meets about half-time and she's okay with that style. The other meets very few times (sometimes only for tests on campus). We'll just have to figure out how they are coded to watch for it!

• Like 2

Mazurka
2 minutes ago, Merry said:

LOL, it wouldn't be my cuppa! But she has always been fascinated with the human body, so I think she'll find it interesting at least...fun might be a stretch, LOL!

Me too! Originally she was going to take a Pottery elective, but not enough kids signed up. So I told her she could sign up for a couple of classes and drop one. She was going to keep both until we found out how this one worked. Our CC offers two types of hybrid courses--one meets about half-time and she's okay with that style. The other meets very few times (sometimes only for tests on campus). We'll just have to figure out how they are coded to watch for it!

Kind of bunny trailing here, but I'm surprised how so many classes are now online, or like the class you described above with only a few campus meetings.  It seems like these classes are fully accepted as equal to live, classroom time.  It used to be that online college classes were not respected at all, but it seems like that is changing.   

Merry
1 minute ago, Mazurka said:

Kind of bunny trailing here, but I'm surprised how so many classes are now online, or like the class you described above with only a few campus meetings.  It seems like these classes are fully accepted as equal to live, classroom time.  It used to be that online college classes were not respected at all, but it seems like that is changing.   

Yes, it really has. My son took an online ethics course, and the work was really quite challenging (they read 7 books along the lines of Plato's Republic in 8 weeks, did weekly 1-page writings and 2 longer papers and some tests.) The online discussions were interesting. He really doesn't want to finish out his degree online though, and it's so hard to find affordable options here.

Countrymom9
On 9/1/2018 at 10:02 AM, SewWhat? said:

Dd16 loves her A&P lab. She says they have a great setup and lots of equipment and..."Oh, Mom! It's so interesting!" Could be she's in the right field!

Edited by Countrymom9
  • Like 2

SewWhat?
2 hours ago, Countrymom9 said:

Dd16 loves her A&P lab. She says they have a great setup and lots of equipment and..."Oh, Mom! It's so interesting!" Could be she's in the right field!

It's just a really good thing different people have different interests!! LOL

• Like 2

the geographer
11 hours ago, Mazurka said:

From what I've heard online classes these days are more work than in person classes. There's more written assignments and you have to be in online chats either at specific times or for a certain amount of time. Big Sis took an online class one year during May term and it was a lot of work, lots of reading, online posting and commenting. It was hard for her to get it done after she started working at camp. 

• Like 1

mominindianapolis
6 hours ago, the geographer said:

From what I've heard online classes these days are more work than in person classes. There's more written assignments and you have to be in online chats either at specific times or for a certain amount of time. Big Sis took an online class one year during May term and it was a lot of work, lots of reading, online posting and commenting. It was hard for her to get it done after she started working at camp. 

This is what my dd has found. Her on campus classes are not as time intensive as the online ones. With one online course an instructor added an assignment Sat morning due by midnight that night. Dd worked a full 8 hr shift and by the time she got home and had made dinner it was 10 pm. The assignments are added almost daily and due that day. The on campus class she can follow the syllabus and get ahead a bit.

Unfortunately, her program is mostly offered online so she doesn't have the option of taking many of the classes in person at all. Still - she is glad it is an affordable option.

Stringybark Sarah

I’ve enjoyed this thread. We don’t have community college, as such, but I’m guessing there are similarities between that and our TAFE colleges (technical and further education), which are basically tertiary education, but a lower level than university. So you work towards a certificate 1, 2, 3 or 4, or diploma at TAFE, whereas you’re getting a Bachelor Degree (or higher) from uni. 

Anyway, we have some dual enrolment options with TAFE too. They tend to be courses rather than subjects though. My Ellie (16)  has just started a Cert course in Allied Health Assistance, as part of Year 11, and is facing many of the things you are all describing. Additionally the course isn’t just run at one campus, various units are done on at least four locations. We had NO warning of the start date - she was notified the evening before, that she had a full day in Adelaide the next day. Thanks. Additional challenges for us are living rural, an hour from Adelaide. She needed to learn to catch a train without me, to navigate town, find the college, find the station again, get the right train home, and we’re 15 minutes drive from the local train station. And she really needed a phone to tell me what train she was on. I printed outmaps and timetables, caught the train to town with her, showed exactly how to get from the station to the college, helped her find the room at the college, left my own phone with her  and turned around for another hour home on the train. 

She finished over an hour earlier than notified, but decided she was confident enough to do the trip home herself. Yay, success. Just as well, because I was collecting ducklings.

So after two days at the town campus, yesterday was at the Barossa Valley campus, 45 minutes drive further out than us. A small country campus, but whole new environment to navigate.

”They” keep changing the timetable, and whilst the teaching and material is good, the online segments are a lot of , as Mazurka said, piddly bits. Lots of video segments to watch. I’d love to know ahead of time so we can plan. They’ve sent out the timetable 3 times, all different, and all changed without notice.

As far as the work, she’s enjoying it, and will be fine with the level expected. It’s a big learning curve though.

• Like 1

Countrymom9
4 minutes ago, Stringybark Sarah said:

I’ve enjoyed this thread. We don’t have community college, as such, but I’m guessing there are similarities between that and our TAFE colleges (technical and further education), which are basically tertiary education, but a lower level than university. So you work towards a certificate 1, 2, 3 or 4, or diploma at TAFE, whereas you’re getting a Bachelor Degree (or higher) from uni. 

Anyway, we have some dual enrolment options with TAFE too. They tend to be courses rather than subjects though. My Ellie (16)  has just started a Cert course in Allied Health Assistance, as part of Year 11, and is facing many of the things you are all describing. Additionally the course isn’t just run at one campus, various units are done on at least four locations. We had NO warning of the start date - she was notified the evening before, that she had a full day in Adelaide the next day. Thanks. Additional challenges for us are living rural, an hour from Adelaide. She needed to learn to catch a train without me, to navigate town, find the college, find the station again, get the right train home, and we’re 15 minutes drive from the local train station. And she really needed a phone to tell me what train she was on. I printed outmaps and timetables, caught the train to town with her, showed exactly how to get from the station to the college, helped her find the room at the college, left my own phone with her  and turned around for another hour home on the train. 

She finished over an hour earlier than notified, but decided she was confident enough to do the trip home herself. Yay, success. Just as well, because I was collecting ducklings.

So after two days at the town campus, yesterday was at the Barossa Valley campus, 45 minutes drive further out than us. A small country campus, but whole new environment to navigate.

”They” keep changing the timetable, and whilst the teaching and material is good, the online segments are a lot of , as Mazurka said, piddly bits. Lots of video segments to watch. I’d love to know ahead of time so we can plan. They’ve sent out the timetable 3 times, all different, and all changed without notice.

As far as the work, she’s enjoying it, and will be fine with the level expected. It’s a big learning curve though.

The lack of notice and changing locations would drive me batty. I'm glad I don't have to do that!

SewWhat?
38 minutes ago, Stringybark Sarah said:

At our CCs you can get certificates of course, but also associates degrees. There are a great many in the system, but unfortunately not all locations offer all degrees. So, if you want that degree from this CC then you may have to go to another city and rent an apartment nearby. If you want to commute then you're stuck with those degrees they do offer locally.

This is the site in case you were interested... https://www.ivytech.edu/

mominindianapolis

Yes - the cc offers certicifcate options or assoc degrees and the courses transfer to state colleges and then it's up to private colleges what transfers. The state colleges also have satellite campuses as well so combined with students being able to live at home and work, etc the cost is more reasonable than many other options. 

High school students here can take courses for dual enrollment/credit at both the state college satellites and the cc but there is no specific program that provides any funding for tuition for homeschool students. Public high school students do have some programs for college credit but in IN students pay course fees and textbooks from kindergarten on up in public schools so they do still pay some fees for dual credit. 

School systems within counties also offer vocational/technical training at career centers in a wide variety of fields but that runs thru the public schools and the ability of homeschoolers to participate varies by school system.

Edited by mominindianapolis

Merry
6 hours ago, Stringybark Sarah said:

At a CC, they can earn an Associate's Degree, which is the first 2 years towards a Bachelor's. 

• Like 1