Mazurka

Community College Impressions

Recommended Posts

Mazurka
16 hours ago, mominindianapolis said:

The on campus class she can follow the syllabus and get ahead a bit.

 

For most of Will's classes, the syllabus is all but useless.  I think the online system in general makes it easy for teachers to add and change as they go along.  It is one thing I don't like about all the electronic course management systems.  It makes things so loosy-goosy.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mazurka
13 hours ago, mominindianapolis said:

but in IN students pay course fees and textbooks from kindergarten on up in public schools so they do still pay some fees for dual credit. 

 

Anita, I may. ave asked this before, but I don't remember. How do low income students pay these fees?  Does the PTA or the government pay for them? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mominindianapolis
14 minutes ago, Mazurka said:

For most of Will's classes, the syllabus is all but useless.  I think the online system in general makes it easy for teachers to add and change as they go along.  It is one thing I don't like about all the electronic course management systems.  It makes things so loosy-goosy.  

It seems from what dd has noticed that the whole nature of online classes vs on campus ones are different. I would guess because, well - they are different. Ultimately the online ones are more time intensive than in class ones and it is a challenge for people who also work almost full-time. 

Edited by mominindianapolis
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mominindianapolis
11 minutes ago, Mazurka said:

Anita, I may. ave asked this before, but I don't remember. How do low income students pay these fees?  Does the PTA or the government pay for them? 

 

Yes - students can get free or reduced lunch and/or textbooks depending on income. That is also the benchmark used for the 21st Century College scholarship program with tuition assistance for in state colleges.  Obviously - homeschoolers are exempted from that unless someone has found a way around that because it is based on if a student received free or reduced lunch in I believe 7th grade. That could be old info though. I have not verified it recently. 

This does also apply to the computers/ipads schools "give" to their students. More schools here are expanding this and the devices have to go home nightly as many school systems have now gone to e-learning where there are no days off school for snow or other weather. Low income families have options for internet based on income as well since it is required for school. 

Edited by mominindianapolis
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mominindianapolis
35 minutes ago, Mazurka said:

Anita, I may. ave asked this before, but I don't remember. How do low income students pay these fees?  Does the PTA or the government pay for them? 

 

Here is a link to the scholarship program I mentioned. My dd would have qualified for this had we not homeschooled. It would have enabled her to go to college tuition free.

http://scholars.in.gov/parents/enroll/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mazurka
39 minutes ago, mominindianapolis said:

 based on if a student received free or reduced lunch in I believe 7th grade. That could be old info though. I have not verified it recently. 

 

That seems so arbitrary! Seventh grade...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SewWhat?
3 minutes ago, Mazurka said:

That seems so arbitrary! Seventh grade...

Anita and I are both in Indiana. The 21st Century Scholars is a bit of a crazy program with regard to how the determine eligibility, what grade you're in when you're accepted to the program etc. I didn't bother looking into all the details since we homechooled and I knew we didn't qualify, but I knew about it from some friends. 

One of Sophie's BFF (she's a bridesmaid in her wedding this month) qualified for the free college, but, unfortunately she had a bad senior year and didn't complete a couple classes. So, as far as I know she actually still hasn't finished high school. She's Christian's age so should have been a junior this year. Instead, she's still working at McDonald's. Her fiancee only works at Steak-n-Shake. It's sad to know someone could have done SO well but due to a few bad months everything is ruined. With their incomes I doubt either will ever go to college.

wrt tuition assistance yah it's based on income. Plus, in the schools around me anyway, things like the PTA do help with supplies. But, generally now tuition includes supplies for elementary. They want everyone to have the exact same thing with no arguing about hey, he has 12 crayons not 8, or hey, I want a blue folder too, etc.  So, they just have everything sitting on your desk first day when you show up. If you need more later in the year and can't afford it that's where things like the PTA or other fund raisers come in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mazurka
2 minutes ago, SewWhat? said:

 

 But, generally now tuition includes supplies for elementary. They want everyone to have the exact same thing with no arguing about hey, he has 12 crayons not 8, or hey, I want a blue folder too, etc.  So, they just have everything sitting on your desk first day when you show up. If you need more later in the year and can't afford it that's where things like the PTA or other fund raisers come in.

I loathe this philosophy.  Kids need to learn early on that some people have green folders and others have yellow, and some have Crayola and some have store brand.  I don't think children should go without supplies, but the need to supply low-income children shouldn't affect what others have.  Glad I didn't have to deal with this.  That alone probably would have been enough for me to pull my kids out of school.  LOL. 

Around here the Rescue Mission does a really nice back-to-school function for anyone who wants to go.  I don't think they check "credentials."  But all kids who go are given backpacks, school supplies, and I think they can even pick out some clothes if they need some.  The event usually includes food and fun activities, too.  It is a huge affair.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mominindianapolis
15 minutes ago, SewWhat? said:

Anita and I are both in Indiana. The 21st Century Scholars is a bit of a crazy program with regard to how the determine eligibility, what grade you're in when you're accepted to the program etc. I didn't bother looking into all the details since we homechooled and I knew we didn't qualify, but I knew about it from some friends. 

One of Sophie's BFF (she's a bridesmaid in her wedding this month) qualified for the free college, but, unfortunately she had a bad senior year and didn't complete a couple classes. So, as far as I know she actually still hasn't finished high school. She's Christian's age so should have been a junior this year. Instead, she's still working at McDonald's. Her fiancee only works at Steak-n-Shake. It's sad to know someone could have done SO well but due to a few bad months everything is ruined. With their incomes I doubt either will ever go to college.

wrt tuition assistance yah it's based on income. Plus, in the schools around me anyway, things like the PTA do help with supplies. But, generally now tuition includes supplies for elementary. They want everyone to have the exact same thing with no arguing about hey, he has 12 crayons not 8, or hey, I want a blue folder too, etc.  So, they just have everything sitting on your desk first day when you show up. If you need more later in the year and can't afford it that's where things like the PTA or other fund raisers come in.

Around here it doesn't include supplies. The stores all have supply lists by area school and grade with all the supplies. I find them interesting to look at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mominindianapolis
10 minutes ago, Mazurka said:

I loathe this philosophy.  Kids need to learn early on that some people have green folders and others have yellow, and some have Crayola and some have store brand.  I don't think children should go without supplies, but the need to supply low-income children shouldn't affect what others have.  Glad I didn't have to deal with this.  That alone probably would have been enough for me to pull my kids out of school.  LOL. 

Around here the Rescue Mission does a really nice back-to-school function for anyone who wants to go.  I don't think they check "credentials."  But all kids who go are given backpacks, school supplies, and I think they can even pick out some clothes if they need some.  The event usually includes food and fun activities, too.  It is a huge affair.   

There are backpack events here. I will have to ask someone who does them if they put the basics in them or fill according to teacher and school requirements. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mominindianapolis

My neighbor and I compared out of pocket costs one year when our oldests were in high school and when costs go up considerably depending on courses taken. This was before they added in take-home computers. 

I actually spent less buying homeschool curriculum than she did public school fees and costs and I had my books to sell when we were done. That was about 12 years or so ago now but I have always remembered it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mazurka
3 minutes ago, mominindianapolis said:

My neighbor and I compared out of pocket costs one year when our oldests were in high school and when costs go up considerably depending on courses taken. This was before they added in take-home computers. 

I actually spent less buying homeschool curriculum than she did public school fees and costs and I had my books to sell when we were done. That was about 12 years or so ago now but I have always remembered it. 

I think it's troublesome that families should have to pay out-of-pocket for basic books and course materials.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mominindianapolis
1 minute ago, Mazurka said:

I think it's troublesome that families should have to pay out-of-pocket for basic books and course materials.  

It's very hard for families with multiple kids in multiple levels of school - even if they qualify for a reduced fee. Bills have been introduced many times regarding changing this within the state but things never seem to go anywhere. 

A big thing now is sponsorship of school sports fields, etc - complete with names on the stadiums. So many high schools (including my local high school which is a large and prestigious one) have astro turf and many amenities that we couldn't have dreamed of years ago. IU Health is one sponsor which is interesting since it is tied to Indiana University which is a state school.....Between healthcare and education and sports we could go MANY different directions with that!

Having a child in school sports costs a great deal of money and a lot of time too. I don't know how some families manage all they do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SewWhat?
1 hour ago, Mazurka said:

I loathe this philosophy.  Kids need to learn early on that some people have green folders and others have yellow, and some have Crayola and some have store brand.  I don't think children should go without supplies, but the need to supply low-income children shouldn't affect what others have.  Glad I didn't have to deal with this.  That alone probably would have been enough for me to pull my kids out of school.  LOL. 

Around here the Rescue Mission does a really nice back-to-school function for anyone who wants to go.  I don't think they check "credentials."  But all kids who go are given backpacks, school supplies, and I think they can even pick out some clothes if they need some.  The event usually includes food and fun activities, too.  It is a huge affair.   

What? Life is not all fair?? GET OUT!!! LOL

When there were lists it was specific. Not just crayons, it was Crayola brand 8 count pack x2. etc...

1 hour ago, mominindianapolis said:

Around here it doesn't include supplies. The stores all have supply lists by area school and grade with all the supplies. I find them interesting to look at.

There are extra supplies you need if you are in certain kinds of classes for sure. But, the basics are included and purchased by the school in bulk. And only up to a certain grade. Older grades are too varied to do that.

1 hour ago, Mazurka said:

I think it's troublesome that families should have to pay out-of-pocket for basic books and course materials.  

I'm guessing your taxes are more where you don't have to pay for school.

57 minutes ago, mominindianapolis said:

It's very hard for families with multiple kids in multiple levels of school - even if they qualify for a reduced fee. Bills have been introduced many times regarding changing this within the state but things never seem to go anywhere. 

A big thing now is sponsorship of school sports fields, etc - complete with names on the stadiums. So many high schools (including my local high school which is a large and prestigious one) have astro turf and many amenities that we couldn't have dreamed of years ago. IU Health is one sponsor which is interesting since it is tied to Indiana University which is a state school.....Between healthcare and education and sports we could go MANY different directions with that!

Having a child in school sports costs a great deal of money and a lot of time too. I don't know how some families manage all they do. 

Don't even get me started on the complete waste of resources on sports. if all that money was spent on useful things, like, um... EDUCATION, SO many more kids would actually be smarter and prepared for real life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mominindianapolis
11 minutes ago, SewWhat? said:

What? Life is not all fair?? GET OUT!!! LOL

When there were lists it was specific. Not just crayons, it was Crayola brand 8 count pack x2. etc...

There are extra supplies you need if you are in certain kinds of classes for sure. But, the basics are included and purchased by the school in bulk. And only up to a certain grade. Older grades are too varied to do that.

I'm guessing your taxes are more where you don't have to pay for school.

Don't even get me started on the complete waste of resources on sports. if all that money was spent on useful things, like, um... EDUCATION, SO many more kids would actually be smarter and prepared for real life.

Well it is outside sources sponsoring/advertising in the cases I mention so it's not tax dollars that are being diverted but going to any school corporation site or board meeting is interesting. Dh and I do attend the local school board and other public meetings as we can here as taxpayers and to keep informed and so we can speak to things with some knowledge as they come up.

Yes - the lists are specific. To my knowledge, no area school corps are providing those supplies. They are still giving specific lists and asking students to bring in those items at the beginning of each school year. Must be the ones in your area have made some changes. I can only speak to the counties and school corporations surrounding mine. All the discount and office supply stores have lists in various places in the store (I am sure parents/guardians also get them via the school) that specify what each teacher is requesting. I suspect many are available via apps and other means but since I was not directly affected I didn't research too closely. I do like to peruse the lists in the stores to have an idea of what kinds of things are being required these days. My oldest grandchild goes to school next year (although in another state) so I like to know what kinds of things she will need. 

It all varies by school corporation policy and teachers so it is really impossible to cover every situation beyond the fact that textbooks are not free in this state. Too many variations for sure.

 

Edited by mominindianapolis
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the geographer
3 hours ago, Mazurka said:

For most of Will's classes, the syllabus is all but useless.  I think the online system in general makes it easy for teachers to add and change as they go along.  It is one thing I don't like about all the electronic course management systems.  It makes things so loosy-goosy.  

That's hard! I don't think either of the girls have run into that problem, even when Little Sis was at the cc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SewWhat?
1 hour ago, the geographer said:

That's hard! I don't think either of the girls have run into that problem, even when Little Sis was at the cc. 

We haven't had issues either.

Kids many times don't read the syllabus though unfortunately. Sophie told me there were sooo many kids shocked there had been an assignment last week because the teacher didn't remind them it was on the syllabus. When they were asking eachother, did you know about it? She said yah, it's on the syllabus, did you read that? All who didn't know about the assignment said no, they hadn't. 

One teacher didn't have anything online yet. Some are on blackboard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gilead

Most CCs have transfer agreements with state schools, so here in CA you can get certified for transfer to University of CA or Cal State University schools, OR you can get an Associate of Arts/Sciences degree, OR you can get a certificate in a particular specialty like medical assisting or HVAC, etc. We can have free class in high school (dual enrollment) but NOT free books. I wish!

My 15yo and my 21yo are both taking a beginning art class, but different sections with different profs. That's interesting, watching how different their assignments are and hearing about the personalities of the profs. 21yo is taking it to complete her AA in Humanities, with no plans to go further. 15yo is taking it for fun, but may well run through all the CC's art classes that she can manage in high school. We shall see.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the geographer
4 hours ago, SewWhat? said:

We haven't had issues either.

Kids many times don't read the syllabus though unfortunately. Sophie told me there were sooo many kids shocked there had been an assignment last week because the teacher didn't remind them it was on the syllabus. When they were asking eachother, did you know about it? She said yah, it's on the syllabus, did you read that? All who didn't know about the assignment said no, they hadn't. 

One teacher didn't have anything online yet. Some are on blackboard.

That was one thing I emphasized to both girls - READ YOUR SYLLABUS. All the information you need to know about your class should be there. If you don't read it, it's your own fault if you miss something.

The kids in Sophie's class need a reminder they're in college, not high school. The prof isn't necessarily going to remind them of assignments, it's their job to know these things.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SewWhat?
34 minutes ago, the geographer said:

That was one thing I emphasized to both girls - READ YOUR SYLLABUS. All the information you need to know about your class should be there. If you don't read it, it's your own fault if you miss something.

The kids in Sophie's class need a reminder they're in college, not high school. The prof isn't necessarily going to remind them of assignments, it's their job to know these things.

Exactly what I said. No one is going to hold your hand. These other kids are used to hand-holding. They flat said they were used to the teachers telling them every single thing.

She said she was happy she was homeschooled... LOL!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mazurka
On September 4, 2018 at 3:00 PM, Gilead said:

Most CCs have transfer agreements with state schools, so here in CA you can get certified for transfer to University of CA or Cal State University schools, OR you can get an Associate of Arts/Sciences degree, OR you can get a certificate in a particular specialty like medical assisting or HVAC, etc. We can have free class in high school (dual enrollment) but NOT free books. I wish!

One of the guys in our scout troop got accepted to a cc in California.  We were thinking, why the heck would he go all the way to California to attend CC,  but it turns out the cc is nationally acclaimed for woodworking and cabinetry. In the end he didn't go (yet) because he broke his wrist and had to have surgery.

On September 4, 2018 at 3:00 PM, Gilead said:

My 15yo and my 21yo are both taking a beginning art class, but different sections with different profs. That's interesting, watching how different their assignments are and hearing about the personalities of the profs. 21yo is taking it to complete her AA in Humanities, with no plans to go further. 15yo is taking it for fun, but may well run through all the CC's art classes that she can manage in high school. We shall see.

It is interesting how the same course can be different depending on the teacher. I don't think any other English class at the CC is like Will's with the focus on analysis of the radio program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mazurka

So we're at the beach, and guess who is working diligently on his homework?   All on his own.  He said he's glad we went this weekend rather than last because he had much more homework over Labor Day. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SewWhat?
49 minutes ago, Mazurka said:

So we're at the beach, and guess who is working diligently on his homework?   All on his own.  He said he's glad we went this weekend rather than last because he had much more homework over Labor Day. 

Wow! Since Sophie had college ON Labor Day I guess that's why they didn't have extra.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merry
2 hours ago, SewWhat? said:

Wow! Since Sophie had college ON Labor Day I guess that's why they didn't have extra.

Wow, I don't think I've ever heard of a school holding classes on Labor Day! That's like un-American or something LOL!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SewWhat?
28 minutes ago, Merry said:

Wow, I don't think I've ever heard of a school holding classes on Labor Day! That's like un-American or something LOL!

LOL

It didn't matter really. We didn't have any big celebration going on.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mazurka
5 hours ago, Merry said:

Wow, I don't think I've ever heard of a school holding classes on Labor Day! That's like un-American or something LOL!

I agree!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mazurka

It's hard to believe that Will is already at fall break.  It's kind of a weird fall break, because technically it doesn't start until tomorrow, but both of his Monday teachers canceled class.  However, he has math tomorrow as a Hurricane Florence make up class.   Good thing we didn't plan on going somewhere for the whole week.  Although we were going to go camping for a long weekend on Thursday, but another hurricane may bring a lot of rain so we shall see. 

Community college has been a great experience for Will.  He has really good teachers.  He even likes his math teacher, even though he isn't doing so great in that class. 

His college transfer success course is a lot of work.  It's about as much as his math and biology classes, although he gets 4 credit hours for those and only 1 for college success.  I think it's a good course, though. Right now he is doing an assignment where he has to fill out a rough class schedule of all of the classes he'll take up through getting his degree at a 4 year school, along with all pre-requisites and co-requisites.  It's a bit of work, but will be useful because we're hoping to do a college visit to Western Carolina University at the end of this month, and he can use that assignment as a springboard for asking questions when he goes to the open house. 

Unfortunately, our community college doesn't have all of the biology courses that the freshman and sophomores are taking at Western Carolina, so he will be a bit behind his classmates when he transfers in. Well, he'll be behind in sciences but ahead in things like social sciences.  So he would have very heavy sciency  classes once he transfers. Luckily, if he gets that associates in science with at least a "C" average, he is pretty much guaranteed admission as a junior transfer. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the geographer

I'm glad his classes are going well for him. Big Sis has her fall break right now (long weekend basically, she's off today and tomorrow) but she stayed at school. Little Sis's break is next week, she's got the week off and will be home with her boyfriend and their best friend Sunday night to the next Sunday.

One thing to think about is how you'll deal with winter break, especially with Ben. I remember that was kind of a weird time for Little Sis, she had off from her cc classes for three weeks and we took a weekish off from our regular work for Christmas but she had to hit the books again at home before her cc classes started. If Will is taking almost all of his classes at the cc and won't be studying, it may take some effort to keep Ben on track when his brother is sitting around doing nothing (or just doing Spanish). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merry

Nice update! They don't do a fall break here, but do have Columbus Day off today and then 2 days at Thanksgiving. I'm so glad Will has good teachers! 

Great work they're having Will do for his Transfer Success class!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mominindianapolis

No fall break here but we sort of gave up the thought of family vacations any more back when dd started working and dh's job doesn't allow for such things at this point anyway. 

Glad all is going well and that it sounds like Will has found his niche, in terms of learning anyway. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mazurka
9 hours ago, the geographer said:

 

One thing to think about is how you'll deal with winter break, especially with Ben. I remember that was kind of a weird time for Little Sis, she had off from her cc classes for three weeks and we took a weekish off from our regular work for Christmas but she had to hit the books again at home before her cc classes started. If Will is taking almost all of his classes at the cc and won't be studying, it may take some effort to keep Ben on track when his brother is sitting around doing nothing (or just doing Spanish). 

This is an excellent point.  

William will have some work to do over break -- probably Spanish and maybe a History course he wants to finish up.  But that certainly won't take up a whole day.  Maybe I need to get him to cook dinner, lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mazurka
7 hours ago, Merry said:

Nice update! They don't do a fall break here, but do have Columbus Day off today and then 2 days at Thanksgiving. I'm so glad Will has good teachers! 

Great work they're having Will do for his Transfer Success class!

The school has been just great for him.  It's a really small satellite campus (one building), and all the faculty and staff are really friendly and helpful. The woman who. teaches his college success class is the director of the campus, and she also works the front desk some days!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SewWhat?

Sounds like a good update :)

Fall break here is next Th/Fr.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mazurka
23 hours ago, SewWhat? said:

Sounds like a good update :)

It really has been a good experience for him.  Everything is not perfectly smooth (there have been a few issues), but he's learning to handle them.   One of his teachers is pretty flaky and has already canceled class 3 times. The other teacher has told the class that if they have over a 70 in her class they are doing well. ??????  That is not the sort of thing Will needs to hear, lol.  Especially if he got a 70.5 on the test in question.  At first we thought that maybe that meant she was going to grade on the curve, but it doesn't seem to be that way.  

 

Quote

Fall break here is next Th/Fr.

Hard to believe that half the semester is over, isn't it?

Edited by Mazurka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SewWhat?
11 minutes ago, Mazurka said:

It really has been a good experience for him.  Everything is not perfectly smooth (there have been a few issues), but he's learning to handle them.   One of his teachers is pretty flaky and has already canceled class 3 times. The other teacher has told the class that if they have over a 70 in her class they are doing well. ??????  That is not the sort of thing Will needs to hear, lol.  Especially if he got a 70.5 on the test in question.  At first we thought that maybe that meant she was going to grade on the curve, but it doesn't seem to be that way.  

 

Hard to believe that half the semester is over, isn't it?

It sure is! She's setting her spring classes next week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mazurka
1 minute ago, SewWhat? said:

It sure is! She's setting her spring classes next week.

Will had to choose and submit his by September 30th.  His advisor had to approve them, and they are waiting in his self-service account for the day he can actually register.  The registration days are staggered based on hours earned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SewWhat?
1 hour ago, Mazurka said:

Will had to choose and submit his by September 30th.  His advisor had to approve them, and they are waiting in his self-service account for the day he can actually register.  The registration days are staggered based on hours earned.

I hope they go well too :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gilead

I asked dd this week if anyone in her CC art class has figured out she's dual enrollment....that is the thing she was the most nervous about, fearing they would put her down for being younger. She's 15 and her buddy she's taking the class with is 17. Nope!

Last night for class assignment we watched "Miss Hokusai" (Japanese with English subtitles) about the daughter of the famous artist. It was rated PG-13, but right there on the edge as 1/4 of the scenes were about geishas and brothels and how to draw women with an understanding of passion.....we skipped some scenes. I think the teacher was teasing her students -- she told them they would be quizzed on the color and name of the main character's cat....and there WAS no cat, only a dog. Hahahaha

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mazurka
1 hour ago, Gilead said:

I she told them they would be quizzed on the color and name of the main character's cat....and there WAS no cat, only a dog. Hahahaha

Funny!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merry
On 10/9/2018 at 9:14 PM, Mazurka said:

Will had to choose and submit his by September 30th.  His advisor had to approve them, and they are waiting in his self-service account for the day he can actually register.  The registration days are staggered based on hours earned.

Wow, that seems early! My kids have both needed time in the semester to figure out if they like the direction they are going with classes or want to change focus/majors, LOL! Here they register the 22nd, and they don't get to see which classes are offered or the schedule until next week (I'm always on pins and needles, I like seeing what's going to be offered--I'm geeky that way! I loved looking through the catalog when I was in college too!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mazurka
On 10/11/2018 at 7:13 PM, Merry said:

Wow, that seems early! My kids have both needed time in the semester to figure out if they like the direction they are going with classes or want to change focus/majors, LOL! Here they register the 22nd, and they don't get to see which classes are offered or the schedule until next week (I'm always on pins and needles, I like seeing what's going to be offered--I'm geeky that way! I loved looking through the catalog when I was in college too!)

I thought it was really early,  too, especially since he can't actually register until early November!   It seems weird that the advisor had to approve the classes in September.

I wish that the schedules would be published at least a year out.  It makes it hard to choose when to take what for courses with limited offerings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the geographer
8 hours ago, Mazurka said:

I thought it was really early,  too, especially since he can't actually register until early November!   It seems weird that the advisor had to approve the classes in September.

I wish that the schedules would be published at least a year out.  It makes it hard to choose when to take what for courses with limited offerings.

Big Sis has already done pre-registration for the spring. She said they use that to determine if there's enough students that are interested in a class and if there's low pre-registration they cancel. I'm not sure when they actually register, sometime next month I think. Last go round for her. I just asked Little Sis and she said they have registration next month but I'm sure they have pre-registration sooner. She's got a pretty good idea of what she's going to take.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mazurka
14 hours ago, the geographer said:

Big Sis has already done pre-registration for the spring. She said they use that to determine if there's enough students that are interested in a class and if there's low pre-registration they cancel. I'm not sure when they actually register, sometime next month I think. Last go round for her. I just asked Little Sis and she said they have registration next month but I'm sure they have pre-registration sooner. She's got a pretty good idea of what she's going to take.

I think next semester is the last semester we'll be able to keep all of the classes at the campus in our small town.  We already had difficulty getting enough of the "right" classes this semester.  Some classes are never offered on "our" campus.  Ben is going to do the engineering track when he starts, so he'll probably have to take the bulk of his classes over in the big city. I'm not  sure how we'll manage that. Sigh.  Maybe Ben, at least, will be driving. Although I don't like to drive on the road that goes to the community college myself.  Nery heay traffic, and a short exit ramp when you have to remerge onto the highway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merry
On 10/15/2018 at 8:45 AM, Mazurka said:

I thought it was really early,  too, especially since he can't actually register until early November!   It seems weird that the advisor had to approve the classes in September.

I wish that the schedules would be published at least a year out.  It makes it hard to choose when to take what for courses with limited offerings.

That does seem odd! Our class schedules came out this week, and then they can start registering next week.

I don't think ours could publish schedules a year out--they wouldn't know for sure who would be able to teach when etc... CC teachers don't tend to get paid that well (which is a shame since most of them seem to really love teaching and care about the students! I think they do a great job here!)

 

On 10/15/2018 at 5:42 PM, the geographer said:

Big Sis has already done pre-registration for the spring. She said they use that to determine if there's enough students that are interested in a class and if there's low pre-registration they cancel. 

Here I think they just look at registrations and decide a few weeks before classes start. DD really wanted to take pottery, and that got canceled...I think it was end of July, maybe even the first of August. I ordered a book for her for her new classes on Aug. 5th, so it had to be a little before then...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mazurka
Just now, Merry said:

That does seem odd! Our class schedules came out this week, and then they can start registering next week.

I don't think ours could publish schedules a year out--they wouldn't know for sure who would be able to teach when etc...

CC teachers don't tend to get paid that well (which is a shame since most of them seem to really love teaching and care about the students! I think they do a great job here!)

 

That's a good point, but man, it sure makes it hard to plan what to take, especially for courses with very limited offerings, and given the fact that our campus is very small.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merry
10 minutes ago, Mazurka said:

That's a good point, but man, it sure makes it hard to plan what to take, especially for courses with very limited offerings, and given the fact that our campus is very small.   

Yes, I know! Some classes here are easy to get, but some you're never quite sure if they will be offered ever during the 2 or so years at the CC--it depends on the instructors they can get sometimes. The popular Gen-Eds are always covered, but some of the electives for majors--not always, or occasionally it's an "online only" situation. Thankfully there was only one class that I really wanted DS to have that he missed (I should have made him take it the one time I saw it, LOL!). One he ended up having to take online--not the best fit for him, but it worked. 

So far DD has only missed out on a "fun" elective she wanted...we'll see if it pops up any time again!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mazurka
14 minutes ago, Merry said:

Yes, I know! Some classes here are easy to get, but some you're never quite sure if they will be offered ever during the 2 or so years at the CC--it depends on the instructors they can get sometimes. The popular Gen-Eds are always covered, but some of the electives for majors--not always, or occasionally it's an "online only" situation.

Yes!

There is a genetics course that would be good for Will to have, that the freshmen/sophomores will take at the college he hopes to transfer into, but I doubt William will be able to take it.  While it's listed as one of the offerings at our CC, I have not seen it offered, neither at our local campus or at the main campus.

At the college he hopes to transfer into, in the first four semesters the students take Principles of Biology 1 & 2,  General Chemistry and Advanced General Chemistry, and then Genetics, Organic Chemistry I and Organic Chemistry 2, plus Calculus.  He will probably not be able to take Genetics and Organic Chemistry 2 at our local CC, so in some ways he will be behind his other classmates.  Although he will probably have more of his electives done than they will.  When he had to plan out his college career for his College Success class, he's got some semesters at the university that make me cringe to things about -- pretty much every course is heavy science or math. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merry
On 10/16/2018 at 8:01 PM, Mazurka said:

When he had to plan out his college career for his College Success class, he's got some semesters at the university that make me cringe to things about -- pretty much every course is heavy science or math. 

That's too bad!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites