tess in the burbs

High school getting any better a few weeks in?

tess in the burbs

I don't know why but this year is just HARD!  DD is still working super long days. Her focus is not at all like last year.  I've been cutting books or asking her to read as far as she can in a certain time period but then we move on and she can finish it on her own time if she wants.  She dropped a few mid way but kept a few to read.  She's wavering on piano due to lack of time to practice.  Overall her zeal is less this year. 

DS has a lighter schedule than previous years.  He needed it.  It's going well for him to have a lighter load.  He's doing a lot of fun subjects he wanted. He is finishing his day at a decent time.  He did study daily this weekend for the chemistry test.  Not as much as I would have encouraged but I just asked him to study.  He did and got a 90 on the ch 2 test! 

Pre-calc is so hard.  I am relearning this stuff but wish I didn't have to hahahaha  I just can't stop trying to solve something!

They are taking the CLT10 test now.  second time.  Hoping for higher scores, but it's nice to have a practice at home before they try the ACT in Dec.  

how is your high school going?

• Like 1

MOM2ACE

My son and I had a really rough year last year/9th grade. I think part of it had to do with the fact we tried to host a foreign exchange student. (that didn't work out). I told my son I couldn't care more about his education than him and if he didn't make more of an effort then why were we bothering to homeschool. That was a huge wake up call for him and this year has been wonderful. 

I hope your year improves. 

tess in the burbs

overall this year is better.  DS is done with German and that time is now free.  DS overall is more into his work having picked his subjects.  He does not want to do dual enrollment and I'm trying to cherish the time he is home with me now even if he drives me crazy some days.  DD did great for 9th grade so her slowdown might be due to her class choices.  We are figuring out where to scale back for her.  

Our big thing we need to ramp up on is college testing.  made them do the CLT practice test again today.  Had an optional essay and I made them do it.  30 min.  First time they ever had a timed essay.  Good practice.  DS made it known he didn't want to do it ;-)  Signed up for ACT in Dec.  Will try SAT next spring and official CLT as well.  We have opted to skip PSAT.  that was a relief for me not having to fight the school to get them signed up. 

I think next year I want to push DS to try dual enrollment, but if he just tries more online classes I'll take it.  Since so many at the college are more computer based anyway.  His future so far doesn't include college so not sure he will make any efforts on the college tests.  But I keep telling him if he changes his mind he will be glad I made him do all this!  haha

I can't imagine having another student in the house...sorry it didn't work out.  

• Like 1

Mazurka
5 hours ago, tess in the burbs said:

overall this year is better.  DS is done with German and that time is now free.  DS overall is more into his work having picked his subjects.  He does not want to do dual enrollment and I'm trying to cherish the time he is home with me now even if he drives me crazy some days.  DD did great for 9th grade so her slowdown might be due to her class choices.  We are figuring out where to scale back for her.  

Our big thing we need to ramp up on is college testing.  made them do the CLT practice test again today.  Had an optional essay and I made them do it.  30 min.  First time they ever had a timed essay.  Good practice.  DS made it known he didn't want to do it ;-)  Signed up for ACT in Dec.  Will try SAT next spring and official CLT as well.  We have opted to skip PSAT.  that was a relief for me not having to fight the school to get them signed up. 

I think next year I want to push DS to try dual enrollment, but if he just tries more online classes I'll take it.  Since so many at the college are more computer based anyway.  His future so far doesn't include college so not sure he will make any efforts on the college tests.  But I keep telling him if he changes his mind he will be glad I made him do all this!  haha

I can't imagine having another student in the house...sorry it didn't work out.  

I don't know what you community colleges provide in Washington, but here in NC there are several different tracks to take for dual-enrollment, including a track that leads to careers in the trades.  

Mazurka
10 hours ago, tess in the burbs said:

Pre-calc is so hard.  I am relearning this stuff but wish I didn't have to hahahaha  I just can't stop trying to solve something!

I'm having this same problem with Ben's Advanced Math.  Although mostly I'm at a point where I need to tell him he has to figure it out himself, cause it's starting to go way over my head.

They are taking the CLT10 test now.  second time.  Hoping for higher scores, but it's nice to have a practice at home before they try the ACT in Dec.  

how is your high school going?

What is CLT?

Mazurka

Ben is starting to settle into a routine, but he still gets cranky when he has to do school work later than he thinks he ought to.  He is doing a lot, but I think he is starting to get careless in his work because he is so desperate to finish.  This week he will restart martial arts, so I'm wondering how badly that will affect his schedule.  We shall see.

tess in the burbs
1 hour ago, Mazurka said:

What is CLT?

Classic Learning Test.  new college admissions test.  bad morning.  bad result.  oh well.  

I don't know what you community colleges provide in Washington, but here in NC there are several different tracks to take for dual-enrollment, including a track that leads to careers in the trades.  

He doesn't like the options for dual enrollment.  BUT I found a great 4 year apprenticeship program for carpentry just down the road where he could make a salary from day one.  At this point I want him to just think about the future and where he can see himself.  And we hit up 2 college fairs this fall just in case....

Ben is starting to settle into a routine, but he still gets cranky when he has to do school work later than he thinks he ought to.  He is doing a lot, but I think he is starting to get careless in his work because he is so desperate to finish.  This week he will restart martial arts, so I'm wondering how badly that will affect his schedule.  We shall see.

I know for me I did better the busier I was.  Ds isn't this way.  I hope your son can keep up with everything.  yes, we are doing school later this year.  It's reality and I think normal for the subjects we do. 

• Like 1

Gilead

We did the CLT last year for practice and then the CC placement test, followed by our co-op's Terra Nova testing....we are going easy on the testing THIS year! DD is realizing that weekends may have to be for homework. Our biggest issue is sleep -- getting her up on the days she doesn't have the CC class, or keeping her awake after she gets home from the CC class. I wake her @ 8:00 but this morning she fell back asleep. Oh, well, dear, more homework this weekend.

• Like 1

Mazurka
17 hours ago, Gilead said:

We did the CLT last year for practice and then the CC placement test, followed by our co-op's Terra Nova testing....we are going easy on the testing THIS year! DD is realizing that weekends may have to be for homework. Our biggest issue is sleep -- getting her up on the days she doesn't have the CC class, or keeping her awake after she gets home from the CC class. I wake her @ 8:00 but this morning she fell back asleep. Oh, well, dear, more homework this weekend.

I'm glad I don't have to wake Will.  That job falls to Ben, lol.  The boys have an agreement about it, so I stay out of it.  Although at some point William is going to have to learn how to use an alarm.  Right now he uses the little-brother alarm clock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

tess in the burbs

ok my goal this year was no online 8am classes.  Check

ok my next goal was kids using an alarm clock to get up at 8am to start school at 9am.  FAIL!!!  They won't turn it on.  I'm going in later to wake them b/c I don't want to do school so late in the day...let's get moving kiddos!  If I let them sleep in it would be until 10 or 11am daily.  I just can't go down that route.  It affects me and my role in teaching!

ok, the rain clouds moved in and totally affected my son.  Today is awful.  I kicked him out of lit discussion when he couldn't try to be nice to me and will have him do the answers as written work and let dad check.  Oh wow, he's upset.  He knows dad won't accept any answer that isn't perfect HAHAHA  I may need to consider putting him into dual enrollment at the CC if this continues.  I am hoping it's just a weird weather thing.  He was so nice yesterday...he cooked us dinner!  

I have to admit this.  I'm ready to be done.  I think i want them to do more online classes next year or online dual enrollment.  I know DH is against the local CC so I won't push that.  It's interesting watching dd's friend do that route.  I need to look into online dual enrollment and see what I can find.  DS is fighting and screaming on this growing up thing.  But if he can't work with me, it's time to do it elsewhere.  DD likes doing school at home with me....but I am just ready to be done.   Tired of figuring out math.  Tired of prepping things.  Ready to do something else.  Gonna be a long year.  

• Like 1

Mazurka
8 hours ago, tess in the burbs said:

.but I am just ready to be done.   Tired of figuring out math.  Tired of prepping things.  

I'm starting to feel the same way.

I was really looking forward to this year of mostly just homeschooling Ben, and it's been going OK, but it's not as cozy as I had hoped for.  He's a teenager after all.  And he's doing a lot of work, and it's a lot for me to keep up with.  I'm really trying to enjoy it, though, just in case he ends up taking most of his classes via dual-enrollment next year.

I love having Will in dual enrollment and not having to worry about his math at all! 

John 3:16

There is definitely an adjustment period going on right now with my daughter getting used to the 9th grade workload.  This is our third week of school with all subjects, and it was probably one of the worst ones so far.  No meltdowns or tears yet, but I think she is just trying to keep her school days as short as she wants them to be and therefore cutting corners, like @Mazurka is seeing with Ben.  It is frustrating since we have spent so much time working with her in the last few years with time management and studying for tests to help her do better and she was applying that and it was working.  This past week, she got a C on a spelling test, and a D on a science test.  We are using Spelling Wisdom and use it as prepared dictation in which she has a few days to review the assignment, and then I read it out loud and she has to write it correctly.  She is on the second module of Physical Science, and what bothered me the most for the science grade is that out of the 6 points she lost, 4 of them were on the definitions.  She knows she has to write out the definitions that are in the study guide for each test, since she did General Science last year and it was the same then.  She even came down for the test with the words written on a piece of paper so she could write the definitions since there is not enough room on the paper test.  Then she got 4 of the 5 wrong...and not even close enough to give her any credit.  What frustrates me the most is that for each of these tests, it was just a matter of putting some time in to memorize, and not actually indicative that she is not understanding the material.  I think this is because she doesn't want to add any time to her day so she is cutting corners.  Hopefully she will settle into the fact that she has to put a little more time in as the work is more difficult and will continue this way until high school is done.  It is comforting to know others are seeing or have seen their kids struggle with getting used to 9th grade.  Thank you for starting this thread Tess!!

• Like 1

tess in the burbs

@John 3:16  Oh yes, high school was an adjustment for both my kids.  in different ways.  I've learned more about learning styles in high school than any other years of homeschooling.  And when a bad day hits it's just awful!  My son had a bad day yesterday.  I seriously am reconsidering everything for next year.  I accept he doesn't want to do the local CC, or online classes, but ME and him isn't going to work next year.  He's got some hard choices to make.  And it all comes down to the bad days.  I won't let him be that way to me just b/c he feels safe being so mean to me. 

my dd did ok in 9th but has struggled with 10th grade work.  She took on a hard load.  I'm encouraging her to push through...it will be worth the effort in the end.  But I'm always willing to adjust expectations when needed.  ie:  Dd hates history.  Always has.  When I see her getting frustrated by the level of the written work we do it orally instead.  Less time for her, she still gets the important lessons, and she can move on to something else before the tears come.  It's definitely a flexible environment or we would have tears all the time!

3 hours ago, tess in the burbs said:

It's definitely a flexible environment or we would have tears all the time!

I am learning this one.  This is only our second year homeschooling, but last year I wanted to plan her high school years just to have an idea of what we are going to do.  Now, I have learned it will change as we go along, since she is changing so much, her abilities are changing, and even what she likes or works for her seems to change.  Got to roll with it right?

I am so sorry to hear things are not going well with your son, and pray you find what works for you both.  It must really affect your relationship at times when he is being so mean to you.  It is hard because he is really a man, but still your child and there is such an internal struggle.  But,, that is no reason to be mean to you when you are just being...well, mom!  I hope something works out for you both for next year.  (((hug)))

Mazurka
On 9/21/2018 at 9:32 AM, John 3:16 said:

There is definitely an adjustment period going on right now with my daughter getting used to the 9th grade workload.  This is our third week of school with all subjects, and it was probably one of the worst ones so far.  No meltdowns or tears yet, but I think she is just trying to keep her school days as short as she wants them to be and therefore cutting corners, like @Mazurka is seeing with Ben.  It is frustrating since we have spent so much time working with her in the last few years with time management and studying for tests to help her do better and she was applying that and it was working.  This past week, she got a C on a spelling test, and a D on a science test.  We are using Spelling Wisdom and use it as prepared dictation in which she has a few days to review the assignment, and then I read it out loud and she has to write it correctly.  She is on the second module of Physical Science, and what bothered me the most for the science grade is that out of the 6 points she lost, 4 of them were on the definitions.  She knows she has to write out the definitions that are in the study guide for each test, since she did General Science last year and it was the same then.  She even came down for the test with the words written on a piece of paper so she could write the definitions since there is not enough room on the paper test.  Then she got 4 of the 5 wrong...and not even close enough to give her any credit.  What frustrates me the most is that for each of these tests, it was just a matter of putting some time in to memorize, and not actually indicative that she is not understanding the material.  I think this is because she doesn't want to add any time to her day so she is cutting corners.  Hopefully she will settle into the fact that she has to put a little more time in as the work is more difficult and will continue this way until high school is done.  It is comforting to know others are seeing or have seen their kids struggle with getting used to 9th grade.  Thank you for starting this thread Tess!!

I really dislike it when my kids miss the definitions, too -- I tell them they are leaving "free" points on the table.  

I will add that with my older son, I often studied the vocab with him.  It was kind of torturous for both of it, but it helped.  I'd have him write out the words on an index card deck, and then we'd go over them daily, or nearly daily.   He hated to do this, but it was the only way I could make him learn them.  And he has a very good understanding of science.  The problem is that he'd otherwise put things into his own words, and sometimes the way he wrote things didn't really match the definition, even though I think he mostly knew what he was talking about.   Or he'd write 2 or 3 lines when one would suffice.  I despised grading stuff, trying to figure out if his definition was close enough to the official definition. 

Gilead
On 9/21/2018 at 6:32 AM, John 3:16 said:

Quizlet -- saves my girl's score on the test every time.

• Like 1

Gilead

Tess, I sympathize on the boys/moms student/teacher difficulty. This is about when I had my son start going to the CC dual enrollment and then take the CHSPE and go full-time. When he wouldn't work with mom, he needed an outside authority and CC was much more affordable (and do-able transportation wise) for us. He was expected to complete an AA, and he was greatly looking forward to quitting school then. But he met a couple of profs he liked, found a field that interested him, and ended up transferring to local state U and getting his BA. Quite a surprise after his attitude when I "fired" him from homeschooling. For us it was the right decision and a huge relief. I hope you find a solution that works for you and your young man.

tess in the burbs
6 minutes ago, Gilead said:

Tess, I sympathize on the boys/moms student/teacher difficulty. This is about when I had my son start going to the CC dual enrollment and then take the CHSPE and go full-time. When he wouldn't work with mom, he needed an outside authority and CC was much more affordable (and do-able transportation wise) for us. He was expected to complete an AA, and he was greatly looking forward to quitting school then. But he met a couple of profs he liked, found a field that interested him, and ended up transferring to local state U and getting his BA. Quite a surprise after his attitude when I "fired" him from homeschooling. For us it was the right decision and a huge relief. I hope you find a solution that works for you and your young man.

He absolutely does not want to go to the local CC.  He doesn't want to even do online homeschool classes!  The law here has them doing school until age 18.  ugh. virginia was only 16.  So we plod on.  This year I let him pick some courses that academically feel light to me, but he's doing the work and overall handling school better.  Not having an intense course like German has been good for him!  He's enjoying doing his courses.  He just has an attitude problem from time to time.  I can't make him go to the local CC.  Or online classes.  We have pushed before and he chose to do nothing and it was a waste of our money.  So to stay home he knows he has to have a decent attitude most of the time.  I can deal with a little bad, but overall he has to not frustrate me HAHAHA  I have no clue what he will do next year...I hope he will want to finally try the CC.   He is considering some hands on careers and can't apply for those apprenticeship programs until he is 18....so we have to find a solution for his Sr year.  But so far this year, it's going well.  I just have a stubborn kid who will not do anything he doesn't want to do.  or I would fire him.   

Gilead

Most apprenticeship programs would require a high school diploma, wouldn't they? Does your state have a high school exit exam (other than GED)? I know my son's normal attitude was so much worse because that was the year we moved and he had no friends, despite my driving him to 3 different basketball nights and a co-op. We were both pretty fed up with each other, LOL. Teen boys are one of the many reasons I tell folks that homeschooling is a marathon and you have to get up every day and just put on your shoes whether you want to or not. Hang in there!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gilead said:

I have never heard of this before and will look into it.  Thanks!

• Like 1

tess in the burbs

the thing is...this boy wants to be home.  He's been given every opportunity to do anything else.  He wants this time with us.  He even asked about taking an extra year to graduate!?!  No other test option, I will graduate him next year.  And he's still highly undecided about his future so he will be pushed to take some classes at the CC or work full time until he has a plan in place.  yes, the apprenticeships want a high school diploma.  like i said, he's better than the last 3 years....we have our days. 

• Like 1

Mazurka
15 hours ago, tess in the burbs said:

the thing is...this boy wants to be home.  He's been given every opportunity to do anything else.  He wants this time with us.  He even asked about taking an extra year to graduate!?!  No other test option, I will graduate him next year.  And he's still highly undecided about his future so he will be pushed to take some classes at the CC or work full time until he has a plan in place.  yes, the apprenticeships want a high school diploma.  like i said, he's better than the last 3 years....we have our days. 

You know, these boys who are tough to deal with sometimes mature at a different rate.  I know that's been true of Will.  He should have graduated this past spring, but a couple of year's ago we decided that a) he wasn't going to be mature enough to graduate with his peers and b) he really didn't have enough credits to graduate with his peers because of aforementioned maturity issues.  So he is technically a high school senior this year, but he is taking almost all of his courses at the community college and loving it.  While we still have to scaffold a bit,  this experience is really building his confidence as he learns to make decisions and choices on his own.  H

• Like 1

tess in the burbs
2 hours ago, Mazurka said:

You know, these boys who are tough to deal with sometimes mature at a different rate.  I know that's been true of Will.  He should have graduated this past spring, but a couple of year's ago we decided that a) he wasn't going to be mature enough to graduate with his peers and b) he really didn't have enough credits to graduate with his peers because of aforementioned maturity issues.  So he is technically a high school senior this year, but he is taking almost all of his courses at the community college and loving it.  While we still have to scaffold a bit,  this experience is really building his confidence as he learns to make decisions and choices on his own.  H

I hope to see a big shift in this next year.  Glimpses do occur lol.  

He's definitely not wanting college/academic focused future.  I found a carpentry apprenticeship right down the road.  key will be him getting his license though.  He drove with me this weekend and liked it ;-)   He also found a wooden boat building program that is 1 year, but due to cost I would want him to work to pay most of it, so ask him to work for a year before helping that happen.  The trades are an unknown to me, but we are praying about it and going to figure out a way to help him get what he wants.  Yes, it may be a delayed graduation...we shall see.  

tess in the burbs

Ok, found his motivation point:  video game update!  He's the most pleasant kid today trying to bust through his work so he can video game this afternoon b/c a new update came out. HAHAHAHAAH

Gilead

Hahaha....when ds moved out he didn't have a desk yet. He came home to visit so he could use his gaming setup!

Mazurka

High school is getting better, I think, but this driving around business is driving me crazy.  With 8 roundtrips weekly to take Will to the community college, and Boy Scouts and martial arts for Ben, I'm having a hard time feeling in control of my life.  I don't know how people manage to do this on a long-term basis.  We have successfully avoided the constant run-around up until now.  However this year, not only do we have dual enrollment driving, but Ben is going to martial arts twice a week rather than once.  The once-weekly private lessons are no longer a good option now that I can't divide the cost between two children, so now we pay for weekly classes instead, and he really needs to go at least twice a week because he wants to aim for second-degree black belt.  The drives to martial arts are one-hour roundtrip, and that doesn't include the time for the lesson.  My husband helps with the driving, but the two of us are already tired of it.  I image we'll have one-two years of this, until Will can drive himself to community college. At any rate, I'm finding myself grumpier and grumpier as I can't seem to get a grip on the stuff that needs to be done in the house because I'm always coming and going.  And I'm dreading the occasional social event that I have, because the thought of taking any more time from my days makes me downright twitchy.  Sigh.  I hope I can adjust.

Edited by Mazurka
  • Like 1

tess in the burbs
37 minutes ago, Mazurka said:

High school is getting better, I think, but this driving around business is driving me crazy.  With 8 roundtrips weekly to take Will to the community college, and Boy Scouts and martial arts for Ben, I'm having a hard time feeling in control of my life.  I don't know how people manage to do this on a long-term basis.  We have successfully avoided the constant run-around up until now.  However this year, not only do we have dual enrollment driving, but Ben is going to martial arts twice a week rather than once.  The once-weekly private lessons are no longer a good option now that I can't divide the cost between two children, so now we pay for weekly classes instead, and he really needs to go at least twice a week because he wants to aim for second-degree black belt.  The drives to martial arts are one-hour roundtrip, and that doesn't include the time for the lesson.  My husband helps with the driving, but the two of us are already tired of it.  I image we'll have one-two years of this, until Will can drive himself to community college. At any rate, I'm finding myself grumpier and grumpier as I can't seem to get a grip on the stuff that needs to be done in the house because I'm always coming and going.  And I'm dreading the occasional social event that I have, because the thought of taking any more time from my days makes me downright twitchy.  Sigh.  I hope I can adjust.

Ugh.  I havent signed up A for martial arts b/c the kind he wants is too far and multiple times a week.   Totally know why you are tired, I said never again after the gymnastics/swimteam year hahahaha

I do need A to learn to drive. I can not wait for 18 after all.  Soon as we get back from vacation i will find them a class.  Then A just has to get the hours of practice in,  C has a year before a license.  I just got the truck from my dad's estate, so we do have a 3rd vehicle.  

Traffic is our issue.  It is just so awful here.

Things are better here.  Some long days, some short days.  They are studying when needed.  Whining is less.  Not gone lol.

Now if they could keep up with cleaning after themselves and get school done on time life would be idyllic!!! I can dream

• Like 1

Countrymom9
On 9/24/2018 at 4:32 PM, Gilead said:

I LOVE Quizlet!

• Like 1

Mazurka
11 hours ago, tess in the burbs said:

Traffic is our issue.  It is just so awful here.

The traffic here worries me a lot, too.  Not necessarily in my small town, but to go anywhere you either have to get on Hey 40 or the Durham Freeway.  Oh, and then there is 85, too.  Hwy 40 has gotten crazy lately.  I think they are putting in too much housing, and the area roads can't support the population. 

tess in the burbs
13 hours ago, Mazurka said:

The traffic here worries me a lot, too.  Not necessarily in my small town, but to go anywhere you either have to get on Hey 40 or the Durham Freeway.  Oh, and then there is 85, too.  Hwy 40 has gotten crazy lately.  I think they are putting in too much housing, and the area roads can't support the population. 

the roads here are exactly like when I lived here before.  There had been no increase in lanes!  They have added the toll lanes.  We use them.  I normally have enough in the car to go for free.  DH pays to use them on the way home.  It of course ends 3 miles from the house and he spends 30 min going that 3 miles most days or more.  We keep saying if we can move 4 miles north his commute would be half coming home!    And to think my kids will be learning to drive in this stuff...it's scary.  I noticed lately there are a large amount of people using the new driver sticker on their car...so do we really have that many 50+ new drivers?  or just hoping for some leniency for bad driving?   I just do not like traffic.  It puts me in a bad mood.  

Dd applied for a volunteer position that would involve me taking her during traffic at least 1 way with 3 hours between.  I'm thinking I need to find the library over there b/c no way I'm going back and forth!    I'm still looking for a house in the country but not too far for Amazon delivery so I can stay home all the time hahaha

Blessed Greatly

I've missed being on the forums the last couple of years! 

Glad to know that many others have similar teen highs and lows! My sign line is two years out of date...

Edited by Blessed Greatly
  • Like 1

Mazurka
3 hours ago, tess in the burbs said:

the roads here are exactly like when I lived here before.  There had been no increase in lanes!  They have added the toll lanes.  We use them.  I normally have enough in the car to go for free.  DH pays to use them on the way home.  It of course ends 3 miles from the house and he spends 30 min going that 3 miles most days or more.  We keep saying if we can move 4 miles north his commute would be half coming home!    And to think my kids will be learning to drive in this stuff...it's scary.  I noticed lately there are a large amount of people using the new driver sticker on their car...so do we really have that many 50+ new drivers?  or just hoping for some leniency for bad driving?   I just do not like traffic.  It puts me in a bad mood.  

Dd applied for a volunteer position that would involve me taking her during traffic at least 1 way with 3 hours between.  I'm thinking I need to find the library over there b/c no way I'm going back and forth!    I'm still looking for a house in the country but not too far for Amazon delivery so I can stay home all the time hahaha

Interesting about the new driver sticker.  I've not heard of that.  I wonder if they do that here, too.

I bet you even get Amazon Fresh or whatever it is where you get cold grocery delivery, too.  That would just maybe make me swoon.

Mazurka
2 hours ago, Blessed Greatly said:

I've missed being on the forums the last couple of years! 

Glad to know that many others have similar teen highs and lows! My sign line is two years out of date...

Welcome back!

tess in the burbs
12 minutes ago, Mazurka said:

Interesting about the new driver sticker.  I've not heard of that.  I wonder if they do that here, too.

I bet you even get Amazon Fresh or whatever it is where you get cold grocery delivery, too.  That would just maybe make me swoon.

yes, we can get Amazon Fresh.  I wasn't impressed.  All grocery stores offer delivery here so I can always use them.  Honestly, Walmart has been good for food delivery of the basics.  I do however LOVE LOVE LOVE Prime Now.  It's 2 hour delivery.  They have limited stuff but I can get items from the health food store in 2 hours.  When we wake up sick I order things from them and they show up in less than 2 hours with all my needed items to survive the illness LOL!!!  Ds bought a nerf gun on prime Now once b/c it was cheaper than the online free ship offer.  You do tip with Prime Now and it's just the item...no box...out of the delivery guy car.  But you can track the guy bringing it to you.  Creepy ??    We also have Amazon Truck.  Flash sales and you go pick up in a spot at a certain time off their truck.  Some of the fresh flown in seafood has been excellent.  Today was a corn hole set, earlier this week had a fitbit.  So it's a little of everything...but usually a super good deal!  And DH is always willing to go pick up.  Sometimes they give you free stuff when you pick up.  

I'm hoping with the Whole Foods addition the Amazon Fresh delivery of fresh things will get better.  I do plan on trying it out

• Like 1

Mazurka
On 9/28/2018 at 3:00 PM, tess in the burbs said:

We also have Amazon Truck.  Flash sales and you go pick up in a spot at a certain time off their truck.  Some of the fresh flown in seafood has been excellent.  Today was a corn hole set, earlier this week had a fitbit.  So it's a little of everything...but usually a super good deal!  And DH is always willing to go pick up.  Sometimes they give you free stuff when you pick up.  

I have heard about Amazon Truck.  Sounds like fun. I'm sure we'll never get anything like that in my small town.

I've enjoyed using the Walmart Pick-up service, but I still have to go and pick it up.  I think I would love a delivery service for those times when shopping just doesn't fit the schedule.

Mazurka

I tell ya, we're well into the semester now, and life is getting busy, and it's harder and harder to keep up with school.  I always like those days best when we get to hang around the house and have no obligations and can crank out the school work.  I think that won't happen again until January.  We're getting stuff done, just no as much and as fast as I'd like.

tess in the burbs

ok, school is just demanding right now.  Whoa.  I'm honestly glad my ds isn't hung ho about college so I don't need to freak out about a lot of things for him this year.  We did another campus drive through on vacation....it has a program Dd is interested in.  Small campus.  but she wasn't wowed and if anything put off by the football craziness of the day.  

She worked on physics for hours today.  AND then had to start pre-calc.  She wants to do calculus next year and advanced physics.  I told her whatever she wants but she needs the easiest history(seriously may offer J to her) and lots of easy electives.   DS is doing ok this year but only b/c we chose easy stuff for him.  the history is a great courses video series.  I haven't assigned a project/paper yet.   his geology and works geography are fun to him.  He made the most amazing map of Europe today.  Spent hours doing it!!  So our days are LONG.  I am getting bored waiting on them to finish things to discuss or grade.  I need to find more to do than clean.  

• Like 1

Mazurka
9 hours ago, tess in the burbs said:

I am getting bored waiting on them to finish things to discuss or grade.  I need to find more to do than clean.  

While I am not necessarily bored waiting for my kids to finish things up, this is a problem here, too.   Ben often gets on a roll and then we're not meeting to review things until late afternoon or early evening, and by then we're all antsy and want to be finished.  Yesterday was such a day where we didn't get to review things, so now there is a hold-up on some subjects until we can get together.  For example, he's completed two assignments for his lit program that require discussion and/or written assignments with lit analysis, so I told him not to read further until we can catch up.  I hate having to do more than a couple of lessons of that at a time. Anyhow, I'm getting ready to get dressed for the day, and I'm probably going to insist on switching up his day a bit so that we can be caught up with things that need teacher input/review.

tess in the burbs

@Mazurka  I have to get firm sometimes about my time.  I'm here NOW, we will be discussing and going over anything *I* need to do.  I'm trying not to sit here online all day waiting.  Last week I washed the cabinets.  I should do that more often!  Afternoons are especially hard b/c DS will often be in a groove and try to push me off but I need to get my part done so I can go make dinner.  So now I try to make my portion FIRST of the day or right after lunch when both are on the same page and available.  

I don't know why but it feels like we are moving at a snail's pace most days.  Physics and pre-calc are definitely slowing mine down.  I have some errands I need to do during the day but just haven't had time to go do them!

• Like 1

Mazurka
2 hours ago, tess in the burbs said:

@Mazurka  I have to get firm sometimes about my time.  I'm here NOW, we will be discussing and going over anything *I* need to do.  I'm trying not to sit here online all day waiting.  Last week I washed the cabinets.  I should do that more often!  Afternoons are especially hard b/c DS will often be in a groove and try to push me off but I need to get my part done so I can go make dinner.  So now I try to make my portion FIRST of the day or right after lunch when both are on the same page and available.  

I don't know why but it feels like we are moving at a snail's pace most days.  Physics and pre-calc are definitely slowing mine down.  I have some errands I need to do during the day but just haven't had time to go do them!

I like right after lunch, too, but in my old age I get sleepy then, lol.

Isn't your daughter doing Derek Owens physics?   That took up a lot of time for Will last year, with all of these individual videos to watch and the notes to take, along with practice problems.

tess in the burbs
41 minutes ago, Mazurka said:

I like right after lunch, too, but in my old age I get sleepy then, lol.

Isn't your daughter doing Derek Owens physics?   That took up a lot of time for Will last year, with all of these individual videos to watch and the notes to take, along with practice problems.

Yep.  She likes it though.  It's just a lot of time!  She just got an art class, but I told her she may need to just wait until a holiday week and do art then lol

today I was having to explain chemistry to Ds. Electron configurations.  I'm so ready to retire from homeschooling.  Teaching them to read was so boring but this hard stuff is just making my brain hurt hahaha

• Like 1

Mazurka
1 hour ago, tess in the burbs said:

today I was having to explain chemistry to Ds. Electron configurations.  I'm so ready to retire from homeschooling.  Teaching them to read was so boring but this hard stuff is just making my brain hurt hahaha

I'm having a hard time, too, Tess.  Ben is doing Saxon Advanced Math, and I think that is the last math that I shall be responsible for.  I'm not even a whole lot of help this year, although I can grade his work and mostly figure out where he went wrong with the help of the teacher's guide.  The problem is that the teacher's guide no longer lists all the steps, so sometimes I have to try to figure out what path he took to solve the problem.  Other times I tell him that he's on his own, and if he can't figure it out, he needs to either watch the Art Reed DVD again, ask his dad, or look it up on the internet.  Regardless, it's tedious and time consuming to go over his math. 

• Like 1

Gilead

We've decided to postpone dd's EIW until winter break from PSP classes. She was feeling pretty overwhelmed (at 7.5 credits, including the semester-long CC class as 1 full-year credit). We're down to 7 credits....and she'll probably take another CC class next semester, so that will be 8 credits for the year. Whew!

tess in the burbs
20 hours ago, Mazurka said:

I'm having a hard time, too, Tess.  Ben is doing Saxon Advanced Math, and I think that is the last math that I shall be responsible for.  I'm not even a whole lot of help this year, although I can grade his work and mostly figure out where he went wrong with the help of the teacher's guide.  The problem is that the teacher's guide no longer lists all the steps, so sometimes I have to try to figure out what path he took to solve the problem.  Other times I tell him that he's on his own, and if he can't figure it out, he needs to either watch the Art Reed DVD again, ask his dad, or look it up on the internet.  Regardless, it's tedious and time consuming to go over his math. 

Yep, I use the solutions guide as much as I can or look at the answer and try to figure out how they  solved it.  I encourage them to email when a class has that option.  mom won't be there always to answer these things lol

35 minutes ago, Gilead said:

We've decided to postpone dd's EIW until winter break from PSP classes. She was feeling pretty overwhelmed (at 7.5 credits, including the semester-long CC class as 1 full-year credit). We're down to 7 credits....and she'll probably take another CC class next semester, so that will be 8 credits for the year. Whew!

That is a lot of credits!!!  

overall I am proud at my kids work ethic this year.  I saw where 10th grade was so hard on DS, and now on DD.  I'm glad we are in the home stretch.  neither wants to try the local CC as part of high school.  Part of it is they just don't want to feel the stress!  Can't blame them.  But I'm happy with how hard they work and the complaining is much less now.  Now if the get up at 8am whining would stop...  I'm mean and don't let them sleep forever.  Real world won't be even an 8am start time for most careers!  hahaha   But today is PJ day.  Ds is thrilled.  

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:32 PM, tess in the burbs said:

She just got an art class, but I told her she may need to just wait until a holiday week and do art then lol

DD wanted to add art this year too, and we just got Drawing Success which she is really excited to start.  Finding the time to fit it in during the week is not happening, so she may end up doing it on the weekends or holidays.  We are taking a week off of school starting Wednesday this week and into next to do some fun fall things, so I am sure she will be pulling it out and starting it.  After that,, who knows. :)

After another really bad Science test, I have reevaluated some things and determined that we need to read it together and discuss it, rather than her working independently on it.  In looking at her last test which she failed (Physical Science Module 3), the questions were not direct regurgitation of the material, but application of what she had learned, although I did not think they were too difficult if she had understood the material.  She does struggle with reading comprehension still, and my theory is that she is not really understanding what she is reading completely.  We worked through Module 4 together, and I am seeing a difference even in how she is answering the "On Your Own" questions that indicates she has a better understanding when we read it together.  We will see how the next test goes to verify it.  I purchased the audio cd to use as well for the days I can't read with her, since I think that will help because she is a much more auditory learner.  So, we will keep adjusting as we go.  We are still struggling through it all, but hopeful it will get a little better!

• Like 2

Mazurka
3 hours ago, John 3:16 said:

DD wanted to add art this year too, and we just got Drawing Success which she is really excited to start.  Finding the time to fit it in during the week is not happening, so she may end up doing it on the weekends or holidays.  We are taking a week off of school starting Wednesday this week and into next to do some fun fall things, so I am sure she will be pulling it out and starting it.  After that,, who knows. :)

My Ben really likes art and drawing, too. He can't wait to take a "real" art class at the community college.  Although he won't be able to take an art class until he first finishes the required pathway courses for the dual-enrollment program.  When he meets with an advisor in the spring, I'm going to ask if he can take an art class alongside the dual-enrollment courses if we pay for it.   Right now he is doing the art class that is part of Heart of Dakota World History.  It is mostly art history, though, with work on an art project once a week.  On his own he is trying to do one drawing a week, just for fun. 

3 hours ago, John 3:16 said:

After another really bad Science test, I have reevaluated some things and determined that we need to read it together and discuss it, rather than her working independently on it.  In looking at her last test which she failed (Physical Science Module 3), the questions were not direct regurgitation of the material, but application of what she had learned, although I did not think they were too difficult if she had understood the material.  She does struggle with reading comprehension still, and my theory is that she is not really understanding what she is reading completely.  We worked through Module 4 together, and I am seeing a difference even in how she is answering the "On Your Own" questions that indicates she has a better understanding when we read it together.  We will see how the next test goes to verify it.  I purchased the audio cd to use as well for the days I can't read with her, since I think that will help because she is a much more auditory learner.  So, we will keep adjusting as we go.  We are still struggling through it all, but hopeful it will get a little better!

Apologia science does require application, not just regurgitation, which is why it tends to be a difficult program.  I think you are doing the right thing to work with your daughter to help her learn. 

tess in the burbs

Well, I had hoped Dd's attitude about it all would get better.  She has always loved learning.  This year is just so hard for her.  She cries when she fails.  Perfectionist ideals.  She loves her physics and has done great so far, but come test time she couldn't understand why they used what formula.  She said they don't tell you which to use and one problem used a formula that she said in lessons had only been used for something else.  But I was trying to explain she had all the details but 1 in that formula and sure enough they used it and just reordered it so they could solve for the missing item.  I skipped her history test.  She hates history.  She does all the readings plus some, all the maps, all the written work, discusses with me weekly.  I'm just not going to have a test as part of her grade.  When I look at her schedule I can put off the SL Bible stuff until spring, but she likes that.  She did start the art.  Goal is a lesson a week. There are assignments to upload online.  I honestly didn't know how this program worked but I don't know if there is feedback or a grade.  It's Art of Engineering by Iguana art.  I had a 50% coupon for signing up for their email.  So $60 class with 1 year access to complete.  

Both just did ok on pre-calc test.  Again, they complained about volume of formulas and why they can't have a list on the wall.  DD apparently has last year's formulas on the wall.....I guess they need to type it up and put it on the wall to be even.  Ds did ok on the test. Dd did less, but got the honors items.  So I'm letting them attempt honors each test and take the best score.  If they want honors on the transcript they have to take honors scores every week.  so far Ds should keep the regular label.  Dd the honors.  They had one problem neither could solve.  Said it was mentioned briefly and only had 1 practice problem.  this is a month's worth of pre-calc before the test...I thought about dropping that problem and rescoring.  Since both had issues.  But I'm not wanting to pad their grades.  So both did pretty bad on the test.  however, their class work was great.  I think they just don't test well.  I didn't even make it have a time limit.  I know DD spent way too long on that physics test.  I felt bad both were on the same day....but same teacher it happens lol. 

DS is doing ok but again, we chose some easy classes this year.  He needed the break after the last 2 years.  I told Dd she needs to consider the same.  I think when they finish Bible it will feel easier. One less thing to do. Art should calm dd down.  Writing is going to ramp up in January though.  

I'm still bored most days.  I did get my extra table cleared of kid stuff and a puzzle started last night.  After the furnace guy comes today I am going to spend more time cleaning up our school room.  

If I were going to change things to make it better for Dd's attitude....I would have probably not allowed the 2nd science even though it is easy.  I would have insisted on an easy history course since she hates history.  But she wants to push through.  Just means I have to deal with the tears LOL

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mazurka said:

My Ben really likes art and drawing, too.

I am completely not artistic at all so had to get her something that would teach her.  We are trying Drawing Success which starts with holding a pencil properly and on from there.  I just may watch myself to see if I can pick up even a little bit of artistic ability.  It amazes me to watch people draw because I just can't!  DD has taken to drawing snakes because, well, they are easy.  So time for something to learn a bit more.

9 hours ago, Mazurka said:

Apologia science does require application, not just regurgitation, which is why it tends to be a difficult program.  I think you are doing the right thing to work with your daughter to help her learn. 

Thank you for the encouragement.  That is one of the reasons I like Apologia, although I have to admit I am apprehensive about Apologia Biology next year.  I am considering switching her to Friendly Biology and others for Chemistry and Physics because I think Apologia at those levels may be too much for her...and she is not a science kid.  For now I am just researching and we will see how it goes this year and decide later.  Today DD answered the study guide questions and said she thought reading with me helped because she did not have to look up every answer like she usually does.  That makes me happy!

• Like 2

Mazurka
1 hour ago, John 3:16 said:

I am completely not artistic at all so had to get her something that would teach her.  We are trying Drawing Success which starts with holding a pencil properly and on from there.  I just may watch myself to see if I can pick up even a little bit of artistic ability.  It amazes me to watch people draw because I just can't!  DD has taken to drawing snakes because, well, they are easy.  So time for something to learn a bit more.

I can't draw, either, but Ben has artistic. talent on both sides.  One of my cousins in Germany was quite well known in his area for a while, although he eventually gave up individual sales and worked restoring artwork in churches.  My husband's mother was quite talented as well, but she gave it all up to get married and raise a family, which was not uncommon in her era.  

1 hour ago, John 3:16 said:

Thank you for the encouragement.  That is one of the reasons I like Apologia, although I have to admit I am apprehensive about Apologia Biology next year.  I am considering switching her to Friendly Biology and others for Chemistry and Physics because I think Apologia at those levels may be too much for her...and she is not a science kid.  For now I am just researching and we will see how it goes this year and decide later.  Today DD answered the study guide questions and said she thought reading with me helped because she did not have to look up every answer like she usually does.  That makes me happy!

If she is not into science, there are probably better choices than Apologia.

I may use Friendly Biology with Ben, because even though he is into science and wants to be an engineer, he will want to focus his energy on physics and chemistry, I think.  However, I feel ever student needs at least a basic biology class.

Mazurka
8 hours ago, tess in the burbs said:

Well, I had hoped Dd's attitude about it all would get better.  She has always loved learning.  This year is just so hard for her.  She cries when she fails.  Perfectionist ideals.  She loves her physics and has done great so far, but come test time she couldn't understand why they used what formula.  She said they don't tell you which to use and one problem used a formula that she said in lessons had only been used for something else.  But I was trying to explain she had all the details but 1 in that formula and sure enough they used it and just reordered it so they could solve for the missing item.  

Tess -- just as an information point -- I used the Derek Owen's grading service.  One thing that I really loved about it was that Derek Owens gives the students a lot of partial credit, and when a student misses something, he writes it all out for them, showing how it should be done.  This was worth every penny, as it was very encouraging for Will.  (Really helped him learn to show all of his work, lol) 

William would get frustrated by the problems and not always knowing which formula to use, too.  Truth is, many of the problems can be solved in different ways; however, there is usually a quickest and easiest way to solve, which often eluded my son.  That is why I really appreciated how Derek Owens wrote out each problem that a student missed.

tess in the burbs

@Mazurka  how long is the response for grading though?  I don't want them turning things in and moving on to the next lesson before seeing what they missed.  I just imagine you are always working without any response...well at least a few days back?   

With 2 kids in math and 1 in physics I was trying to save money as well.  We do use the homework help email and I like the response we get from them.  But it's never the same day.  

• Like 1

tess in the burbs

Horrible, no good day yesterday with my boy.  I've decided my kids are over exaggerators.  They both think I ripped headphones off Ds yesterday during math.  Um, no I walked over, pointed to them, unplugged it from the computer and then when he took them off I put them on the table.  The furnace man was there...I had a witness it was nothing like me ripping them off his head.  I didn't even remove them from his head!?!??!  But since I asked Ds to remove his music during math he decided I deserved wrath all.day.long.     I'm so tired emotionally in life, I just don't have the energy for Ds right now.  I know that sounds horrible.  I'm just growing in grief this week. Being mid 40's doesn't help I am sure.  If anything I always engage with DS when I know it will upset him with a stoic face, monotone voice so as to be firm but not rile him up.  *sigh*  but if both think me taking headphones away in the calm manner I did was as awful as they describe it I just give up.  I know in my heart it was not like that at all.  But obviously they see me as some kind of monster just to inpart punishment, even if something not serious like asking headphones to be put on the table.  

and my kid who won't help around the house?  Just volunteered to go to a youth group thing where he has to move firewood for 8 hours.  DH and I both thought about saying no, make him do some work here.  But we all just need a break from him and it's an overnighter, even better.    He told me today he will be 17.  And I told him he has until June 2020 to get his life in order/make plans b/c staying here not doing any chores/work or making progress to a future isn't going to happen.  But I can't be mean b/c apparently it would appear I'm yelling or something.  Seriously, I could ask them to sweep the floor a second time and they say I went nuts about it.  Dh agrees I just ask nicely but my kids see if differently.  What would they do if I ever did lose it and started screaming?    Is it bad that I looked at place tickets today to go back to visit mom?  She does has a pressing need of my on site presence but a long weekend away from teen drama would do anyone good.  Problem is I can't take DH with me b/c no one to watch the kids.  I spent most of the day trying to be in a room where DS was not to avoid conflict.  he just kept finding me.  If you are mad at someone wouldn't you want to be away from them?   ahhhhhh   I also looked at jobs yesterday.  Bus drivers make a lot of money.

And then I realized DS didn't even finish his school work yesterday.  I know someone who sent a difficult kid away this year.  I wouldn't do that, but I see the temptation.  

So hoping today is anything better than yesterday.   Good attitude from the boy.  No tears from the girl.  Just get it done and move on kind of day.  

• Sad 1

Countrymom9

Horrible, no good day yesterday with my boy.  I've decided my kids are over exaggerators.  They both think I ripped headphones off Ds yesterday during math.  Um, no I walked over, pointed to them, unplugged it from the computer and then when he took them off I put them on the table.  The furnace man was there...I had a witness it was nothing like me ripping them off his head.  I didn't even remove them from his head!?!??!  But since I asked Ds to remove his music during math he decided I deserved wrath all.day.long.     I'm so tired emotionally in life, I just don't have the energy for Ds right now.  I know that sounds horrible.  I'm just growing in grief this week. Being mid 40's doesn't help I am sure.  If anything I always engage with DS when I know it will upset him with a stoic face, monotone voice so as to be firm but not rile him up.  *sigh*  but if both think me taking headphones away in the calm manner I did was as awful as they describe it I just give up.  I know in my heart it was not like that at all.  But obviously they see me as some kind of monster just to inpart punishment, even if something not serious like asking headphones to be put on the table.  

.  Seriously, I could ask them to sweep the floor a second time and they say I went nuts about it.  Dh agrees I just ask nicely but my kids see if differently.  What would they do if I ever did lose it and started screaming?    

You have my sympathy. I have so been there and done that. I'm kind of there right now with ds16, though she doesn't yell. But she says, "Why are you making such a big deal about it?" if I say more than a  dozen words about something. 

Once two kids aged six and seven told me the toddler was "doing something terrible" in the bathroom. I went dashing in there only to find ds-then-7 blocking my way. I asked him to move, please, then to MOVE, and he didn't, so I lifted him off the scooter and moved him. In the process he scraped his foot slightly and began yelling like a banshee. Neither child spoke to me for a week and both were quite angry with me till we ironed it out about a month later. Oh, and the toddler's crime? He was unrolling the toilet paper. Sheesh.

I'll pray, Tess.

• Like 1

Mazurka
4 minutes ago, Countrymom9 said:

You have my sympathy. I have so been there and done that. I'm kind of there right now with ds16, though she doesn't yell. But she says, "Why are you making such a big deal about it?" if I say more than a  dozen words about something. 

I hear the bolded a lot. 

4 minutes ago, Countrymom9 said:

Once two kids aged six and seven told me the toddler was "doing something terrible" in the bathroom. I went dashing in there only to find ds-then-7 blocking my way. I asked him to move, please, then to MOVE, and he didn't, so I lifted him off the scooter and moved him. In the process he scraped his foot slightly and began yelling like a banshee. Neither child spoke to me for a week and both were quite angry with me till we ironed it out about a month later. Oh, and the toddler's crime? He was unrolling the toilet paper. Sheesh.

I'll pray, Tess.

I'll tell you a funny story.  When I was in high school, I think, my mom lost her patience with me and she swatted at me with a broom, and the broom broke.  Now, I'm sure she felt terrible about that, but in the end, we both ended up laughing.  It was a comical ending to a somewhat difficult moment. 

I'm amazed that a 6 and 7 year old were able to give you the silent treatment for a week.  Wow!  That's pretty hard core for such young ones.

I'm lucky in that while Will and I argued (still argue..) a lot, neither of us hold on to our grudges for long.  I'm sometimes amazed at how quickly things blow over.  Sometimes I actually wish my son would be a little more upset for a little longer, lol.

Mazurka

I think teens tend to be a bit melodramatic.

My calm, steady child told me he likes Latin better than Spanish because I don't "yell" at him as much.  Or maybe it's the reverse with the languages.  I can't remember, lol.  Anyhow, I was so puzzled by this, because really, I hardly ever yell at Ben for anything.  So we talked about it the next time he perceived me to be yelling -- turns out, anytime I talk in a slightly elevated manner (not even close to yelling, lol) he considers it to be yelling because usually it is when I'm not impressed with his progress and am telling him he needs to study more! Or sometimes when he gets goofy.  

My voice is somewhat loud naturally -- it just has always been, maybe leftover from my drama days.  I will never be a soft-spoken person.  I'm somewhat envious about those legendary homeschool mamas who talk in a soft voice.  My voice just doesn't go soft.

Mazurka
11 hours ago, tess in the burbs said:

@Mazurka  how long is the response for grading though?  I don't want them turning things in and moving on to the next lesson before seeing what they missed.  I just imagine you are always working without any response...well at least a few days back?   

With 2 kids in math and 1 in physics I was trying to save money as well.  We do use the homework help email and I like the response we get from them.  But it's never the same day.  

Well, it's true that the wait can be a minor issue.  Since DO only grades the homework, labs and tests, we would usually send a grouping of several homework sheets at a time.  At the end of the chapter, after we sent in the last homework, I would often try to have Will study from the practice sheets that have the answers in the back of the workbook or online or do corrections that he hadn't yet done.   Sometimes I would have him go ahead to the next chapter while we were waiting on homework sheets to be returned.  Only once or twice was it a real problem where I got a little annoyed by the delay.  The thoughtful corrections to the homework and tests made it well worthwhile, though. 

Did you buy the printed workbooks? If so, the answers to the practice problems are at the back of the book, as well as extra exam practice questions.  You can probably access them online, too.  Sometimes I had Will do those for extra practice for a test, rather than for one of the two exams.

The way I looked at it was that if my student were in school, he would probably have had to wait a bit on the teacher to grade things, too.  Not that that makes it convenient. And I think you are better at math and science than I am, so maybe it's not quite so torturous for you to grade them, lol.  For me, I didn't even like grading the practice questions where the answers were supplied. 

Derek Owens is not cheap for sure.  However, I do like that after you pay for 9 months, you don't have to pay anymore, even if it takes your student longer.

Edited by Mazurka

On 10/16/2018 at 5:02 AM, John 3:16 said:

After another really bad Science test, I have reevaluated some things and determined that we need to read it together and discuss it, rather than her working independently on it.  In looking at her last test which she failed (Physical Science Module 3), the questions were not direct regurgitation of the material, but application of what she had learned, although I did not think they were too difficult if she had understood the material.  She does struggle with reading comprehension still, and my theory is that she is not really understanding what she is reading completely.  We worked through Module 4 together, and I am seeing a difference even in how she is answering the "On Your Own" questions that indicates she has a better understanding when we read it together.  We will see how the next test goes to verify it.

She got a 90%!!  Yeah!!  :yahoo: 

• Like 1

Mazurka
2 minutes ago, John 3:16 said:

Excellent!

catbrown
25 minutes ago, John 3:16 said:

Congratulations to her !!!

Way to go Mom!  The new way must be working.

Excellent!

1 hour ago, catbrown said:

Congratulations to her !!!

Way to go Mom!  The new way must be working.

Thank you both!!  She was so excited!