anonsouthernbell

Good afternoon ladies... how is everyone doing?  What week are you on?  My son is wrapping up week 4 and has thoroughly enjoyed doing the lapbooking.  He keeps saying, "Isn't my curriculum amazing?  I just love it!"  (He loves the books too but apparently really appreciates this project, which is funny too because in the past he hasn't really wanted to do many hands-on activities).  My 6 yr old decided that she wanted her own lap book so she made a duplicate one for her art projects.  Trying to get back in the groove this week as my mom came for an almost 2 week visit and so we took a break from school. 

Rebecca9

I've been crazy busy lately- I'm sorry for looking at your post earlier and not responding until now!

Anonsouthernbell- (I don't remember your first name) It sounds like your getting into the groove. I never tried lap booking- sounds like fun though. 

We are also getting back into the groove. We stopped midway into Core D& E to move back oversees and just started back up with partial work to start with the last two weeks. This is our first full weeks work. We are on day 2 of week 17. I am getting a lot of push back on independent reading assignments.  I am going back to them reading aloud to me. Maybe this will foster some improved comprehension. 

Hunny

My ds15 is just finishing up Week 24 of History and is on Week 22 of the Read-Aloud (turned reader) Roll of Thunder...  I don't read aloud to him anymore as he prefers to be able to read it to himself, but we meet once a day to discuss the reading and work on his Astronomy and Home Ec. courses.  I am glad I decided to keep him in Core E instead of switching him to 100 as it is working out well for him.  He is learning a lot from it.

Sandwich in Wi

I'm doing Core D with my 13 yo who has some auditory processing issues.  He's doing well.  He grumbles about school more now that he is a teenager--this is the first time for that.  He's always been really excited to start back up.

I reworked the core to add in and use a lot of the extras we have, so we spent 2 weeks on Incas, Aztecs and Mayans, and now we're on the 4th week of a study of Native Americans.  Next we'll hit the explorers for 3 weeks and then we'll finally get to the European settlers and most of the core books.  I'm really pleased with how it has all fallen into place and how the books (some SL) have meshed in with our other books.  I add in a lot of paper projects and crafts, as he likes those.

Of the SL books, we've finished Secret of the Andes (not in the current core, I believe, but one of our favorites), The Corn Grows Ripe, and Vostaas (Plains).  We added in The Birchbark House (Woodland) and Truth is a Bright Star (Southwest/Hopi), both really good.  Now we're reading a book called Kahtahah, about Tlingit people of the Northwest.

We started early because our local public school did and my two older children are both taking a couple of classes there, so we're in our 6th week of school already.

Blessings, Sandwich

ditz929

We are in Core D week 4. I thought about getting the lapbook but didn't think my son would really like it. We finished Secret of the Andes and started Walk the Worlds Rim, I think I'm enjoying the books more the second time through. They seemed to drag the first time. He's been reading his readers to himself and doing pretty well across the board.

combatjulie

We are  in a catch up week for school this week.  Trying to get caught up on science experiments and finishing week 6 of Core E.  My DS10 is researching the battle of Gettysburg since he wants to build a model of the battle. ( his own idea). My daughter decided to do a power point presentation of US Grant as an extra project.  So they are spending most of this week working on those projects on their own.  This has been good since I am working extra days this week.  They also are enjoying the lap book assignments.

Amina
On 9/21/2018 at 3:41 PM, anonsouthernbell said:

Good afternoon ladies... how is everyone doing?  What week are you on?  My son is wrapping up week 4 and has thoroughly enjoyed doing the lapbooking.  He keeps saying, "Isn't my curriculum amazing?  I just love it!"  (He loves the books too but apparently really appreciates this project, which is funny too because in the past he hasn't really wanted to do many hands-on activities).  My 6 yr old decided that she wanted her own lap book so she made a duplicate one for her art projects.  Trying to get back in the groove this week as my mom came for an almost 2 week visit and so we took a break from school. 

What lapbooking are you doing with your son? I am doing core D currently without the IG and i am wondering am i missing something? 

Thank you,

Amina
On 9/24/2018 at 7:25 PM, Rebecca9 said:

We are also getting back into the groove. We stopped midway into Core D& E to move back oversees and just started back up with partial work to start with the last two weeks. This is our first full weeks work. We are on day 2 of week 17. I am getting a lot of push back on independent reading assignments.  I am going back to them reading aloud to me. Maybe this will foster some improved comprehension. 

Hi Rebecca,

Just want to encourage you. Keep up the good work with homeschooling. We too live overseas...when i read your post i could relate to you. We are currently in the usa and will be heading back home in 2 months.

• Like 1

YesiHomeschool

We are at the end of week 2 with Core E. I have two boys using this Core. We are loving the Wilbur Wilberforce book.  :)

Rebecca9

We are in the middle of week 18. The dc roll their eyes every chapter in the read alouds- someone dies in almost every chapter. 

LindaS
On ‎09‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:21 AM, YesiHomeschool said:

We are at the end of week 2 with Core E. I have two boys using this Core. We are loving the Wilbur Wilberforce book.  :)

I LOVE your sigi meme. Laughed out loud!

DS is in Week 8 of HBL E. He has a cold this week, and has been more grumbly than usual, but for the most part, he has improved his attitude and effort this year. I am so relieved. I was beginning to think we wouldn't make it through his school years. :)

We added in All Sail Set from an older version of the level before Across Five Aprils, and he really enjoyed it. We used our fall break week to finish it up, and he didn't even complain about it! He isn't as crazy about Five Aprils, but I had forgotten how much I liked it.

We watched "Amazing Grace" after we finished William Wilberforce, and now I'm reading the biography of Oloudah Equiano to his older sisters, and having him listen in. It fits in well with both their studies at the moment, but it is pretty graphic.

Overall, I feel like his writing is improving some. At least he doesn't fight me over every single assignment anymore. Still hates spelling though. I guess some things are too much to ask.

It was good to get on the forums again after an absence and see what everyone else is up to.

• Thanks 1

Rebecca9
23 hours ago, LindaS said:

DS is in Week 8 of HBL E. He has a cold this week, and has been more grumbly than usual, but for the most part, he has improved his attitude and effort this year. I am so relieved. I was beginning to think we wouldn't make it through his school years. :)

We added in All Sail Set from an older version of the level before Across Five Aprils, and he really enjoyed it. We used our fall break week to finish it up, and he didn't even complain about it! He isn't as crazy about Five Aprils, but I had forgotten how much I liked it.

We watched "Amazing Grace" after we finished William Wilberforce, and now I'm reading the biography of Oloudah Equiano to his older sisters, and having him listen in. It fits in well with both their studies at the moment, but it is pretty graphic.

Overall, I feel like his writing is improving some. At least he doesn't fight me over every single assignment anymore. Still hates spelling though. I guess some things are too much to ask.

It was good to get on the forums again after an absence and see what everyone else is up to.

Linda- I wish my DS could catch some motivation lately. :girlwink:

Thank you for listing the book All Sail Set, I have been looking for good age appropriate books for the DC to have for independent reading. Like for rainy days. I always forget to look  at the old discontinued books from older versions of cores. :girlwacko:

LindaS
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:38 PM, Rebecca9 said:

Linda- I wish my DS could catch some motivation lately. :girlwink:

Thank you for listing the book All Sail Set, I have been looking for good age appropriate books for the DC to have for independent reading. Like for rainy days. I always forget to look  at the old discontinued books from older versions of cores. :girlwacko:

Do be aware that All Sail Set gets pretty technical, using lots of different nautical terms. It would have been easy to get lost in them, but we mostly just ignored them and enjoyed the story. I read it out loud so he wouldn't be overwhelmed by the technical jargon.

• Like 1

magdasalsa
On 10/9/2018 at 11:11 PM, LindaS said:

@YesiHomeschool I also LOLled...very funny!

Hello all!  We are wrapping up HBL D after a long time and will begin HBL E week 1 next Monday.  Woohoo!  I look forward to checking in with you all as time allows.

• Thanks 1

Amina
1 hour ago, magdasalsa said:

@YesiHomeschool I also LOLled...very funny!

Hello all!  We are wrapping up HBL D after a long time and will begin HBL E week 1 next Monday.  Woohoo!  I look forward to checking in with you all as time allows.

Hello Magda,

What does HBL stand for? 

magdasalsa
13 minutes ago, Amina said:

Hello Magda,

What does HBL stand for? 

Hello!

It stands for History Bible Literature, a couple years Sonlight changed their packages from "Cores" to "HBL" to avoid sounding similar to common core, if I remember correctly.

Rebecca9
2 hours ago, magdasalsa said:

Megan, Congratulations on finishing Core D. I hope you feel accomplished- this is not an easy task, but totally worth it. :party:

• Like 1

magdasalsa
21 hours ago, Rebecca9 said:

Megan, Congratulations on finishing Core D. I hope you feel accomplished- this is not an easy task, but totally worth it. :party:

Thank you, Rebecca.  I'm trying to feel accomplished, and as I think about all the things DD and I have both learned, I know it IS a huge accomplishment.

I'm feeling that about to start anew drive to do it better this time.  She will be using a student planner for the first time, in an attempt at getting her to take responsibility for her own work, and coming to me to ask for my participation when it's time, instead of me delegating her tasks each day.  I'm hoping it will work well for both of us.

• Like 1

Rebecca9

Goodbye all in core D& E. I guess I won't be joining you in F and G on the forums because there won't be any.

magdasalsa
On 10/19/2018 at 12:36 AM, Rebecca9 said:

Goodbye all in core D& E. I guess I won't be joining you in F and G on the forums because there won't be any.

so sad!  will I ee yo on the FB page?

YesiHomeschool
On 10/10/2018 at 12:11 AM, LindaS said:

We watched "Amazing Grace" after we finished William Wilberforce

What ages, or more specifically, how young of an age do you feel this movie is ‘okay’ for viewing? 

Thanks. :) 

Rebecca9
On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:08 PM, magdasalsa said:

so sad!  will I ee yo on the FB page?

No, I will not join facebook. I will be on the new forum that Erika started though.

Edited by Rebecca9
spelling
  • Like 1