BriannaNH

How's the "Start of School" Going? =)

BriannaNH

Hi All, in browsing other and past forums (yeah, I'm THAT mom), I've seen lots of posts just chatting about how things are going for everyone, favorite books so far in that core, etc. So...How has your start of "school" been this fall!? What P-level are you working on, what are your kiddos ages, and are you working on anything else alongside the storybooks?

We're doing P3/4 this year for my 2.5yr and 4.5yr (using it for pre-k year for the older child). We've loved almost everything so far! I feel like we've been reading through all the books pretty fast (even though we read each story at least 3-5xs the week that we focus on it), so I want to add in maybe some more crafts/activities. It's fun to put the title of the book + preschool craft into Pinterest and see what pops up! I'm also thinking we'll just go through all the books again once we've checked everything off because we're more than half-way through.

Since it's pre-k for my older child, we're also doing HWOT Pre-K, maybe 2-3xs per week (well...more like 2, but I'd like it to be 3 ;-). I'm excited to see that "pencil grip" developing even though the HWOT Pre-K is all crayons...never realized you could learn pencil grip with a crayon, it's the same diameter I guess!

And we've started reading the first set of "BOB Books."  Does anyone have a comparison between the BOB Books and the Sonlight FunTales? Just wondering, if we've read through the first set or two of BOB books by the end of this year, where that will place us for starting K language arts readers next year?

Tell me about your P3/4 or P4/5 year so far!

R. A. Olson

It sounds like you have had a great start to the year. :)

I'm using P 4/5 for my 5 year old daughter as kindergarten. Well, "using" might be a generous statement. She is very independently minded and I haven't quite figured out how to guide her in an effective manner. (i.e., if I make the mistake of telling her how something is done, she will do it in every possible imaginable way except for what I just said.) So... we're reading some of the books as the interest strikes, and occasionally she'll be in the mood to do some "school" and then I'll pull out some of the activities/lessons for her, but I'm in serious need of a reboot... and it's still only September.

ditz929

I'm loosely doing P3/4 with my 3 yo. We'll do it again before moving into P4/5. For the first 6 months or so he would only sit for one book at a time but now he is sitting longer and wants to do cutting and mazes. I had to buy him a left handed scissors though. I hope he is going to be my lefty. He's starting to be interested in writing. :)

combatjulie

I am also loosely do P4/5 with my DD5.  She goes to half day kindergarten at a local church.  In the afternoon we read stories and work on AAR level 1.  She is reading ahead of what they are working on at school but she still needs lots of practice. I am not doing P4/5 in order but just reading through a whole book before starting the next one.  It works for us most days.

holding_fast

With my oldest we worked through the first set of Bob books, then detoured to Fun Tales because the next Bob books set was progressing too quickly. It worked really well for us to have both.

LindaS

I am mostly doing P4/5 with my 4.5-year-old, although some of the books are a stretch for him, so we are replacing with some books we didn't finish from P3/4. I feel like P3/4 is a little below his level, but he's not quite ready for 4/5. Anyway, the mash-up seems to be working well for now. As he matures through the year, we will get Uncle Wiggly out again and see if he likes it a little better. (He flat-out refused to listen to it after about the third story because it doesn't have pictures.) He likes the Lion Storyteller book pretty well, but I'm not sure how much he actually understands or if it is all just going over his head.