gentlewarriors

HELP! Overwhelmed!!

gentlewarriors

I have a 13 year old and an 11 year old in Core W. I have a 9 year old in Core D. And a 6 year old in Core A. I am simply overwhelmed trying to read history, science and read a-louds for 3 cores. Any wisdom for me. I also have a 4 year old, a 2 year old and a 9 month old. It doesn't look like it will get any easier. Please help me schedule for coming years, but most of all how do I finish out this year and stay sane doing it? 

Hunny

First of all, the 13 and 11 year olds are old enough to do their own science reading and worksheets, so I recommend handing that off to them to do on their own. 

Second, I recommend doing the literature read alouds for the 6 year old at bedtime.  Or have an older child read to the 6 year old for you.  Concentrate on the basic 3R's during the day, and alternate science and history each day. 

When I was reading aloud for two cores, I read to my older two in the morning and the third child in the afternoon.  I would read for about 45-60 minutes max (each time), which included all the reading for the core.  If something was too long, I would take two days to do that particular reading (literature or history spine).  If it was too short, I would combine 2-3 days worth together (poetry, science, or history picture books). 

Use audio books when you can.  I would borrow from the library or purchase audio cds and listen to them when taking the kids on a field trip or other places we all needed to go together.

• Like 1

kolamum

Oh you poor thing, I can feel your stress!

I'd work on getting the 2 eldest reading the history solo, if possible. Most of those books are available in audio format which means they could do the read alouds as an audio if that would work for your home. Can your 9 year old do any of their work independently? If so you could set them up while you work quietly with your 6 year old. 

Have you considered picking a science the whole family can to together instead of 4 seperate sciences? Something like the younger Apologia Books? When my gang was in that level they used the younger Apologia audio versions & took notes to cover the amount of reading required for the day, then they checked in with mamma to tell her all about what they read. They did some of the Jr Notebook, but I found that coming back & telling me what they read covered more ground :)

I don't know if it would help any, but I'd look at things I could combine together to make things simpler on yourself:

• 1 poetry book
  • 1 Bible reading schedule
  • 1 Family Read Aloud
  • Combine Science {Both Apologia & Dr Wile's younger series would work for this, as would multiple other programmes; I'd get a science kit to go with it too, just to save on time rounding up items}
  • 1 LA Programme {IEW Fix-It can work with levels K-12 so can their writing, Sequential spelling & All About Spelling are great for combining grades if you need spelling}

We combined where we could {& we have less children} to keep things more calm & simplistic in our home. We kick off our day with the 1 poetry book we are using for the year, choosing 1 Bible reading schedule from one of the cores, & 1 book to read aloud {generally NOT a SL book} My boys are in high school now so it's easy for them to listen to science lectures while they take notes & follow through on that work, but when they were younger we'd read the science & then move to the table for LA. After that balance was the key. What can they do independently vs what do they need help with? Then balancing who was working solo & who was working with me based on how long math might take vs one being off reading his reader.

:friends: You've got this, you can do it!

• Like 1

mjwhitbeck

I am in a similar situation. I have a 13 yr old in Core W, 11 yr old in Core F,  8 yr old in Core C and 6yr old in Core A, with a 3 yr  old running around. The above suggestions on how to combine are the best way I’ve heard yet. Ty!

Debbie in Bailey

Why not just focus on the basics of reading/language, math, and handwriting for the 6 year old and give yourself permission to not do a HBL or science with her.

Next year, when you have a 5 and a 7 year old, study History A then.  But, even then, give yourself permission to not read the whole thing.  Focus on the basics with both. When you move up to History B the following year, do the same.  Focus on the basics and give yourself permission to not read the entire HBL or Science to them.  It will be fine.  Once your oldest two are in the high school levels (100 and above) and you aren't reading aloud, you can begin reading the HBL and Science to these two.

Plan to combine your youngest two kids (now 2 and 9 months) in HBL A when they are 5 and 7.  And, depending on what else you have going at the time, give yourself permission not to do the HBL or Science with them.

I had two levels going with my three oldest.  When my youngest was ready for an HBL and Science, I just couldn't read another level in full.   I learned that I could pull a few books off the shelf here and there and read them to her, but she was otherwise listening as I read to the olders.  That was plenty of history for a 5 year old or a 6 year old (she listened to D at that point).  She was 9 years old before I began a HBL with her in full.  And now, as a high school senior, it doesn't make a bit of difference what history she learned in elementary school.

LindaS

I hear you! I have 2 13-year-olds in Core H, a newly-turned-11-year-old in Core E, and a 4-year-old doing a combo of P3/4 and P4/5. It is a REALLY LONG day for me. Not so much for the two younger ones. They get done, and go off to play. I think I could help the older two be faster if I could concentrate on them more, but that is simply not possible. Then after everyone is in bed, I am checking work until my bedtime. It is exhausting. I don't have any advice for you, (the other ladies have great ideas) just thought I'd empathize.

boyandgirl

Frankly, that just wouldn’t be possible for me. That is sooooo much reading. I would combine them so you only have 2 cores.