Heritage of Sons

Halloween -- Haunted Houses ??? Opinions?

Heritage of Sons

I know many of you here celebrate Halloween and don't mind your kids dressing up and trick-or-treating....

We have never made a big deal of it.  Our kids don't dress up or go door to door...

But this year there is something very disturbing in our neighborhood.... the most evil, vile haunted house attraction I have ever even heard about. It is BAD, and I am afraid of the kind of people it will draw to our part of town, really. It is just down the street from us... way too close.

Bendxap

Oh, Aimee, I'm sorry that it's there and so close. And still too many days until it'll be done with. 

Praying right now for you and your family.

SewWhat?

I think my husband and  daughter would probably go if there were one close.They both love horror movies. Why are you so worried?

Rebecca9

I understand both ways. I will pray for peace for you and your family. 

Countrymom9
9 hours ago, Heritage of Sons said:

I know many of you here celebrate Halloween and don't mind your kids dressing up and trick-or-treating....

We have never made a big deal of it.  Our kids don't dress up or go door to door...

But this year there is something very disturbing in our neighborhood.... the most evil, vile haunted house attraction I have ever even heard about. It is BAD, and I am afraid of the kind of people it will draw to our part of town, really. It is just down the street from us... way too close.

I would not like that either. I don't even like going to the fabric store this time of year because of the ghouly stuff they feature. Halloween just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If it were little kids trick-or-treating in bunny suits or robot costumes or whatever, I'd be a fan. I love making costumes!

I'm aware of the possible backgrounds of the holiday but Christmas (my favorite!) has some dubious background too, situated as it is during the former Roman Saturnalia and in some ways resembling it today. I just find Halloween with its takeover by those trying to outdo each other in simulated evil and gore to be hideous and tasteless. Also..is someone who has recently lost a loved one really comforted by skeletons rising out of people's lawns? When my mother was living in a retirement center where there were often several deaths a year, at Halloween the decor was ghosts and skeletons. I think the admin thought better of it after awhile, or somebody brought it to their attention, because they switched to scarecrows and pumpkins and have continued in that vein. 

However,  I don't think any of us can control things that are legal for others to do with their property. You can pray for the people who run it and for the people who attend it, that they will be drawn to the Savior....and you can be glad that it's self-limiting: November 1 it will be dismantled. You can also pray that it's not financially successful, yes?

Edited by Countrymom9
  • Like 2

Heritage of Sons
10 hours ago, SewWhat? said:

I think my husband and  daughter would probably go if there were one close.They both love horror movies. Why are you so worried?

Thanks, ladies, for your replies, and prayers.

Rebecca,

I have seen lots of haunted houses advertised and I, personally, would not go to any of them, but this one is extreme. It's not just your run-of-the-mill haunted house. I read a news article about this attraction...It's "R" rated,  there's even a waiver you have to sign. The article talks about a knife being held to your jugular, being verbally abused, placed in restraints.  The scenes are described as extremely graphic and downright disturbing (and that's a secular point of view). You'll come out with ripped clothes and bruises... most people "snap" and need to be let out early through one of the emergency doors...

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.  I had to stop reading the article.

I feel it will draw the wrong crowd to our neighborhood... drugs, alcohol, sex offenders, occult activity... I'm trying not to exaggerate, but it really is disturbing.

• Sad 1

slac
26 minutes ago, Heritage of Sons said:

Rebecca,

I have seen lots of haunted houses advertised and I, personally, would not go to any of them, but this one is extreme. It's not just your run-of-the-mill haunted house. I read a news article about this attraction...It's "R" rated,  there's even a waiver you have to sign. The article talks about a knife being held to your jugular, being verbally abused, placed in restraints.  The scenes are described as extremely graphic and downright disturbing (and that's a secular point of view). You'll come out with ripped clothes and bruises... most people "snap" and need to be let out early through one of the emergency doors...

I feel it will draw the wrong crowd to our neighborhood... drugs, alcohol, sex offenders, occult activity... I'm trying not to exaggerate, but it really is disturbing.

I used to love going to haunted houses (I don't, anymore) but this sounds extreme!  I think even my horror movie loving kids would be too scared for this.  This seems almost criminal, but being played out in the name of fun, which I'm not sure should be.  Wow.  

• Like 1

SewWhat?
1 hour ago, Heritage of Sons said:

Rebecca,

Yah it does sound a bit more than the average  haunted house then doesn't it. Yikes!

• Like 1

Heritage of Sons
4 hours ago, Countrymom9 said:

I would not like that either. I don't even like going to the fabric store this time of year because of the ghouly stuff they feature. Halloween just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If it were little kids trick-or-treating in bunny suits or robot costumes or whatever, I'd be a fan. I love making costumes!

I'm aware of the possible backgrounds of the holiday but Christmas (my favorite!) has some dubious background too, situated as it is during the former Roman Saturnalia and in some ways resembling it today. I just find Halloween with its takeover by those trying to outdo each other in simulated evil and gore to be hideous and tasteless. Also..is someone who has recently lost a loved one really comforted by skeletons rising out of people's lawns? When my mother was living in a retirement center where there were often several deaths a year, at Halloween the decor was ghosts and skeletons. I think the admin thought better of it after awhile, or somebody brought it to their attention, because they switched to scarecrows and pumpkins and have continued in that vein. 

However,  I don't think any of us can control things that are legal for others to do with their property. You can pray for the people who run it and for the people who attend it, that they will be drawn to the Savior....and you can be glad that it's self-limiting: November 1 it will be dismantled. You can also pray that it's not financially successful, yes?

Yes, the financially successful part... One of the main reasons the new owner is doing this: it is a summer swimming area and he wants to create generate off-season business. The owner of 75 years passed away last year. I was closed all summer of '17. Opened again this summer. I wonder what the family of the original owner thinks!

smalltownmommy
4 hours ago, Countrymom9 said:

You can pray for the people who run it and for the people who attend it, that they will be drawn to the Savior....and you can be glad that it's self-limiting: November 1 it will be dismantled. You can also pray that it's not financially successful, yes?

Would it be wrong to pray for a strategic lightning strike during off hours, Lord willing?

• Haha 1

boyandgirl

I’m not a fan of haunted houses. But, I’m a big scaredy cat. We love Halloween here, but in a fun hearted way. Hopefully, you will just have the run of the mill attendees close by.

Countrymom9
10 hours ago, Heritage of Sons said:

That sounds awful. I wouldn't like that down the street from me either. I'll pray too. Maybe we could pray for some system failure there that would make them have to close it for repairs till the season's over?

• Like 1

Momof4JackAttacks

My kids have trick or treated in the past. However, we have stayed away from haunted houses. They seem so creepy, evil. 

The haunted house near you sounds very disturbing and wicked.

• Like 1

Countrymom9
7 hours ago, Momof4JackAttacks said:

My kids have trick or treated in the past. However, we have stayed away from haunted houses. They seem so creepy, evil. 

The haunted house near you sounds very disturbing and wicked.

My dd16 likes to go to the one at Liberty University (a couple of hours away) every year. She says it's a little creepy but fun, and of course since it's a Christian college, the ultimate theme is redemption.

I have never liked stuff like that anyway but the one you describe does indeed sound over the top.

Edited by Countrymom9
  • Like 1

tess in the burbs
On 10/13/2018 at 7:27 AM, Heritage of Sons said:

Rebecca,

WOW, this is crazy.  In this day and age, I'm not surprised.  A basic scary room has to be amplified to get anyone scared who spends too much time in gory life mode.  I wouldn't want something like that near my house either.  It sounds like it's beyond acceptable, but unless the community complains most likely it won't go away.  I have heard about these type of attractions.  

it's funny b/c I used to love horror films and haunted houses.  But at some point I just lost my taste for them.  I remember going to an old mental hospital in disrepair in high school....people were in the rooms and you walked by.  No one touched you.  It was creepy.  So choosing to be put in a situation that leaves you with ripped clothes and bruises?  I can not imagine wanting that.  Even in this day and age.  People are always saying they are victims, so why purposely put yourself in a situation that might trigger nightmares or anxiety?  

praying for you this season and that it doesn't return next year.  Maybe reach out to your local city council and express your displeasure with this attraction in your neighborhood.  You can't be the only one.  

• Like 3

Lady Marmalade
On 10/13/2018 at 9:27 AM, Heritage of Sons said:

Rebecca,

What the...? 

Honestly, that sounds like it would be the perfect front for traffickers.  That's terrible!

Unfortunately, there's probably not much you can do other than pray at this point.  I will add my prayers to others in that it will not be successful and will not be back.  

• Like 2

smalltownmommy
3 hours ago, tess in the burbs said:

....people were in the rooms and you walked by.  No one touched you.  It was creepy.  So choosing to be put in a situation that leaves you with ripped clothes and bruises?  I can not imagine wanting that.  

That is what I would expect, but I've never gone to a haunted house of any kind.  (I don't do "scary" movies either.) I googled yesterday, and am surprised at what is out there in several states and considered legal -- and wonder if the local jurisdictions handing our permits just expect things to be a little scarier than most, and the release signing to just add to the scary ambiance. Based on some of the lawsuits that came up for some of the top 10 extreme ones, I'm not sure that those release signing customers were really giving "informed" consent.  Or that it should be legal, even if they are informed.  Can torture be done to paying customers, legally, consenting or not? (I hope the OP's local one isn't that extreme.)

I hope nobody gets taken to one of these by "friends", expecting a normal haunted house experience. 

• Like 2

Heritage of Sons

My boys had trouble going to sleep last night because of a big search light flashing in the sky... assuming it was to attract attention to the haunted house.

We're also not letting them ride bike through the neighborhood this month.

But if those things are the biggest problems, only inconveniences really, that we have, I'll be happy.

• Like 3

SewWhat?
2 hours ago, Heritage of Sons said:

My boys had trouble going to sleep last night because of a big search light flashing in the sky... assuming it was to attract attention to the haunted house.

We're also not letting them ride bike through the neighborhood this month.

But if those things are the biggest problems, only inconveniences really, that we have, I'll be happy.

The school across the street from us has it's HUGE lights on into the night for ball games. Shines into our windows. I can relate... So annoying! But, for way  more than a month for us. LOL

kolamum

I'm sorry, that wouldn't sit well with our family either & would likely tip the scale a little too far in the wrong directly for one family member. Are any of your other neighbours upset about it? Could you start a petition? Isn't it ironic that it's easy for people to fuss over "excess traffic" & such with Christmas lights, but not over things like this.

FWIW, I'd be tempted to contact the police, not to complain, but to lodge a concern & ask what their suggestions are. It may inspire an extra patrol in your area. In the mean time I'd be leaving the exterior of my home WELL lighted to deter the unwanted from coming onto the property, keeping doors & windows locked, & putting up room darkening curtains. Mind you, the later is something we have anyway due to the crazy long light we can get here.  Praying for you, what an icky situation. 

• Like 5

Mazurka

I'm actually surprised this is allowed in a residential area if it's a money making scheme.

We enjoy Halloween, but that haunted house sounds over the top, and I certainly wouldn't want it in my neighborhood.

• Like 1

Heritage of Sons

This haunted house attraction is making national news!!!  because of how over the top it is.  I don't want to outright link it here, but you could probably figure it out, if you really wanted to.

Thanks for praying. I am glad Oct 31st is only 2 weeks away.

• Sad 1

Heritage of Sons

They totally SHUT DOWN the whole thing last week.

I thought it looked quiet over there,  but just found out for sure today...

Thanks for praying!

• Like 7

Bendxap
9 minutes ago, Heritage of Sons said:

Thanks for praying!

Yeah for good news!

• Like 1

Mazurka
1 hour ago, Heritage of Sons said:

Thanks for praying!

So good to hear!

• Like 1

Momof4JackAttacks
2 hours ago, Heritage of Sons said:

Thanks for praying!

So, was it shut down because of protests? Also, is this in Ohio?

Heritage of Sons
42 minutes ago, Momof4JackAttacks said:

So, was it shut down because of protests? Also, is this in Ohio?

The owner, in a statement, cited both "personal and professional" reasons for shutting it down.  Yes, it is in Ohio.

• Like 1

Heritage of Sons

I am glad I was able to give an update before the forums are closed.

• Like 1

Countrymom9
5 hours ago, Heritage of Sons said:

Thanks for praying!

Praise God for answered prayer! Enjoy the peace and quiet!

• Like 1

Blessed by His grace

Awesome! Praise the Lord! Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Hauxa Mom

Yay! When you get a bunch of Sonlight sisters praying . . .  :BigGrinGuy:

• Like 1

smalltownmommy
On 10/28/2018 at 3:28 PM, Heritage of Sons said:

Thanks for praying!

So good to see this today :)

• Like 1