amanda.reynolds.82978

Core C October chat

amanda.reynolds.82978

Good Fall everyone. 

I am finally happy to report: we finished Red Sails to Capri!!!

it was definitely a hard push through, but my son  and I are so happy we finished it. When we were done, we went on the internet and found pictures of the Blue Grotto so we could also “visit” and see it’s beauty. 

So now we are onto Sticks across the Chimney. Did anyone finish this yet? How is the book? We are also excited to be moving on to Vikings. Both of my children actually like Viking history, as one of their favorite movies is How to Train Your Dragon. I know that is fiction, but they like to learn about the actual history of the culture. Does anyone have any good recipes for Viking inspired dishes?

mother_mariner

We aren't quite to C yet (just a few more weeks), but if you guys love the How To Train Your Dragon shows/movies, have you tried the books? We listen to the audiobooks (narrated by David Tennant) and they are amazing. I love the books so much more than the movies/show. You could also have them look up the band who does the music for the very adult Vikings tv show (which they should NOT watch for sure). The band uses traditional instruments and makes "traditional" type modern music...at least I remember reading about that a while ago, but now of course I can't find the specific article that I was thinking of regarding the music/instruments. 

amanda.reynolds.82978
22 minutes ago, mother_mariner said:

We aren't quite to C yet (just a few more weeks), but if you guys love the How To Train Your Dragon shows/movies, have you tried the books? We listen to the audiobooks (narrated by David Tennant) and they are amazing. I love the books so much more than the movies/show. You could also have them look up the band who does the music for the very adult Vikings tv show (which they should NOT watch for sure). The band uses traditional instruments and makes "traditional" type modern music...at least I remember reading about that a while ago, but now of course I can't find the specific article that I was thinking of regarding the music/instruments. 

That is awesome information. Thank You. And yes, I know about the show Vikings on the History channel. My husband and I love that show. Definitely not suited for our kids. But I have often wondered about the opening music. I’m a musician and love the piece that was written for the show. I will definitely check that out and the books. Thank You!

mother_mariner

Its definitely a good show, but so not for the littles (or maybe some adults!). The piece is so cool sounding...I asked the husband if he could remember what the music/artist was that I'm thinking of, since he was the one who sent me the article at some point. 

mother_mariner

The husband says the band is Wardruna, and that a good example of the music is Raido. 

SandraVA

We are nearing the end of Sticks Across the Chimney.  It took a little while to get into it for him - since my son loved Red Sails so much - but it did pick up the pace eventually and got exciting.  (That's for my son...for me, I liked the story from the very beginning.  Great tales of kids working hard and being clever and helpful to their mother.)  :)

Just realized this thread is about 2 weeks old - hope you liked Sticks Across the Chimney!

Edited by SandraVA