Mazurka

High school student studying Latin?

Mazurka

Does anyone else here have a high school student who is studying Latin?  If so, what is your student using?

Ben and I have dabbled in it for years, but mostly got serious last year.  This year we finally started on Henle, and wow, is it difficult, IMO.   The first two chapters weren't bad, as our other programs had well-prepared us for them.  But with the third chapter, came third declension nouns, and we're finding it so difficult.   We're probably not going to switch from Henle, because it is not a priority subject for us, and I think we can muddle our way through, but it's really hard.  I had hoped that Ben would be able to take the National Latin Exam next spring, but I don't think that will happen.  LOL.   I'm going to look into getting some of the support materials from Magistra Jones to help explain things a little better. 

Ben and I are learning Latin together, and I'm enjoying it a lot.  I've asked him if he wants to quit now that he's in high school with other difficult subjects, but he doesn't.  I think he likes learning Latin, too.

Anyhow, I'm mostly just wondering if anyone else has high school students studying Latin.  

Edited by Mazurka

SewWhat?

We did the Latin Road to English Grammar.

It's meant as a jrhi into freshman year high school (3y course technically) but tells you how to do it if your child is older. When we started it Christian did it I think 10th grade, entire program in one year. Sophie was then 8th so she did it over 2y.

(might even have it for sale if I could find it...)

Edited by SewWhat?

Mazurka
46 minutes ago, SewWhat? said:

(might even have it for sale if I could find it...)

Chuckling because I bought that from a Boardie years ago. It’s still sitting on my shelf, unused. I also have Prima Latina somewhere, sitting on a shelf, unused.  Ben ended up using Latin for Children and Getting Started with Latin. We’re still finishing up Latin for Children because we have it, but Ben thinks he’s kind of too old for it. 

SewWhat?
2 minutes ago, Mazurka said:

Chuckling because I bought that from a Boardie years ago. It’s still sitting on my shelf, unused. I also have Prima Latina somewhere, sitting on a shelf, unused.  Ben ended up using Latin for Children and Getting Started with Latin. We’re still finishing up Latin for Children because we have it, but Ben thinks he’s kind of too old for it. 

Well, if you have The Latin Road then that's what i suggest you use. It's a very good program and the kids remember a ton from it still. They both think it's helped them with school in general.

• Like 1

smalltownmommy

I would like ds to take an interest in Latin.  I feel I got so much out of it when I took it in high school.

2 hours ago, Mazurka said:

I also have Prima Latina somewhere, sitting on a shelf, unused.

Made me look. I have that too, completely forgotten.  I hate to waste. 

I still have an old book I used in high school -- Wheelock's Latin, An Introductory Course Based on Ancient Authors, 3rd edition 

It is concise. I used it in 10th grade for my 2nd year of Latin.  I liked it.  Since I was in the same classroom with the first year students, I pretty much had to work independently, and found it was good for that. There is an answer key in the back. Ds has no interest in it, at all.  It is intended for "mature, well-motivated" students. It is not a visually inspiring book for the not mature student who does not see any reason why they should learn a language nobody speaks anymore. Maybe I should give him Prima Latina now, as an activity to go along with our Short Lessons in World History, to see if that inspires any interest.

I think I looked at Latin Road, long ago.  That would be so much more ds's speed now, with its multi-sensory aspect.  I should take another look.

• Like 1

Mazurka
4 hours ago, smalltownmommy said:

I would like ds to take an interest in Latin.  I feel I got so much out of it when I took it in high school.

Made me look. I have that too, completely forgotten.  I hate to waste. 

I still have an old book I used in high school -- Wheelock's Latin, An Introductory Course Based on Ancient Authors, 3rd edition 

It is concise. I used it in 10th grade for my 2nd year of Latin.  I liked it.  Since I was in the same classroom with the first year students, I pretty much had to work independently, and found it was good for that. There is an answer key in the back. Ds has no interest in it, at all.  It is intended for "mature, well-motivated" students. It is not a visually inspiring book for the not mature student who does not see any reason why they should learn a language nobody speaks anymore. Maybe I should give him Prima Latina now, as an activity to go along with our Short Lessons in World History, to see if that inspires any interest.

I think I looked at Latin Road, long ago.  That would be so much more ds's speed now, with its multi-sensory aspect.  I should take another look.

I've read good reviews of Wheelock's on some of the WTM threads.  I'm not sure why I picked Henle, but there was a good reason at the time.  LOL.  Might have been the price.  Although I thought the first couple of chapters were simple, even if they are long. The third chapter has just about knocked me over, but Ben and I are getting it, bit by bit.  It's really just a lot of memorizing, and then once you memorize the declension, trying to remember the specific ending that goes with each case when it's used in a sentence.  It gets really tricky when an ending means one thing in one declension, and then another thing in a different declension.  I find that very difficult.  It's amazing to me that people actually spoke in Latin at one time.  I marvel how children could learn it.