Sign in to follow this  
juzalicaol

Pulling out of public school around Christmas???

juzalicaol

Hey, was just wondering has anyone ever pulled their children out of public school mid year? My girls are 4th and 6th grade and doing fine in school. Its just I have such a desire to homeschool again. They would love to be homeschooled, (we are not fans of 530 am alarms) and life is just so hectic. Im just not sure how you start a new curriculum in middle of the year. Would love advice!! Thanks so much.

Countrymom9

It's definitely easier to begin with a new school year, but still do-able at midyear. Which Sonlight HBL are you considering using? Since at that age history is the core subject defining the level, what history are they studying now? That might (or might not) help you choose. If it doesn't, just choose a level that would accommodate both in the recommended age span. You could keep them together for everything but skills level subjects, which is actually probably only math at those ages, so you can do everything together but math. If I were beginning at midyear, I would choose only half the readers and read-alouds while doubling up on the history spine assignments. In science I would just get as far as I could for the rest of the year. If you can and there's enough interest, you could always finish that over the summer. If not, they'll probably have some of it later anyway.  In math, they can just start wherever they are skill-wise. It may leave empty pages in the book or program, but you don't really want to go backwards unless one of them looks like they need review. 

My opinions, of course!

• Like 2

juzalicaol
  1. I was wanting to do American History Level D. My oldest is doing American History now, younger is doing Alabama history this year. I have some lang. arts from a previous year that we never finished. I also have Apologia science that we were going to do this year, but then I put them back in public school again. Im really praying about the decision I need to make. Thank you for your input.

catbrown

I think it would be doable.

You just might have to go lighter with the core D books and now worry about finishing at the

end of the year.

Sign in to follow this