BarefootLady

Student Planners

BarefootLady

I am trying to help my oldest become more organized and help her have better follow through on her independent work.  I would like to help her set  up a student planner for her daily items, and eventually start giving her some longer range assignments that she would track in it as well.  Do any of you have a favorite planner you have used with an upper-elementary to middle grades student?  I would like this skill to be very familiar well before high school, but most planners I have seen seem geared to the high school student.  (any you like for high school would be of interest too, as we will be getting there eventually :)

Thanks!

Debbie in Bailey

My kids preferred just a simple list of what needed to be accomplished.  I did it on Excel and it mirrored a simple homework planner/tracker I'd seen.   As they got older, I could put longer range things on there, too.

I would ask her how she'd like to keep track of assignments - both short and long term.  I know that using a formal planner would have never worked for me as a student and I don't particularly like them now.  Help her come up with her own system.  If she thinks she'd like a planner, take her with you and look at some.  Look online.  Or, maybe she just likes lists and could even learn to make her own on the computer (or paper if she prefers).  Sticky notes or written notes in the front of a favorite notebook or folder.  Who knows what may work well for her.  Perhaps just having a spiral notebook to write things down in would work.  

mathmom-nc

We have a checklist on Google Sheets.  She can get to it on her computer and see what needs to be done.  It works...ok. =)  But better than a planner for my DD 13.

kolamum

Plum Paper's ME Planner is what my high schooler uses. He loves it. You can even have labels for the boxes made, he's been using one since 7th or 8th grade. He also keeps his online log-in info for various school related sites in there, uses the note section {I add more on for him} for taking notes during his science & math lectures, etc. They do have student planners as well, but he's always just picked the ME & designed his own cover. :) FWIW, they'll be having a 30% off sale on BlackFriday.